Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 AM

104 posts, read 134,347 times

Advertisements

I graduated with a Bachelor's in Electronics Engineering but I still want to study instrumentation and control. Do community colleges only offer these types of courses? I live in Delano, California and where is a good place to learn this course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,226,263 times
???????

Where in the HECK did you get your EE degree? At least one I&C course is required for that degree by ABET.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:11 PM

3,613 posts, read 7,958,957 times
> At least one I&C course is required for that degree by ABET.

A course in CONTROL theory may have been required once but things are (much) more flexible now.

> I still want to study instrumentation and control.

If you have an EE degree with relevant courses in circuits and control...then you have the background to learn about instrumentation and control in an appropriate job. Or consider looking for a specialized MS program.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,016,924 times
Can't help you, because I don't know your area. Just curious, are you having trouble finding a job? If so, what is the focus for your EE degree?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,789,002 times
This is a going-down field. I suggest you switch.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Wrong

Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 AM

104 posts, read 134,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
why is it a going down field?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharken View Post
Its not. And it is also not a field that is easily sent overseas.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,383,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharken View Post
It isn't. If anything this is a quite exciting time for instrumentation (sensing especially). Direct-write sensing in additive manufacturing will revolutionize smart materials. Sensors are getting smaller and smaller, yielding more and more information.

And other posters are right, for some applications, the technology and jobs cannot be exported to say China or India due to export regulations (EAR and ITAR if you're in defense biz, and most companies keep their control technologies close to their chest as family jewels, especially the technology integrators like Boeing or Lockheed, the car companies, etc).

And all this data means we will need to do something with it. Control of devices will become more important. You probably learned the basics of control theory, yes? So you already have the background. On the job learning is what is required. Or if you want, get into hobbyist projects to control something. There's literally thousands of examples of how you can build robots from hobbyist parts and you will have to learn, in the process, how to write code, integrate it into logic devices, learn how control theory applies in the real world in digital instructions, and how sensors integrate into a part. Robots are just one example; this past summer I built a home coffee bean roaster with temperature control. Other folks like doing quad-copters. The possibilities are endless. Then put that experience on your resume as a project. Hands-on experience in concert with theory is as good as gold to potential employers.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,762,862 times
Optimal control theory and its application is fascinating. As an economist, I use it a lot. I also happen to live about 1KM away from one of Denmark's major producers of control systems and instruments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities