Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM

551 posts, read 1,122,038 times

Advertisements

I am kinda freaking out now. The tuition of the school that accepted me is about 20k... so far in the letter they gave me a 9k grant for four years and I have the chance for other financial aid opportunities.

Is it likely that I would receive an even bigger award or is it like one or nothing else from the school? before you think it's a dumb question..... I ask this because I looked things up on a website that shows the school's award types.

One of them say "Students who do not receive one of the three scholarship awards listed are eligible for academic achievement grants ranging from $3,000 to $ 5,000 per year for four years.All freshman scholarships are renewable annually for a four-year/eight-semester period for the amounts stipulated above provided full-time status and a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 are maintained."

So being that I already received one type of scholarship I can't compile anymore on top of the one I have?

Also all of them say that you must maintain a 3.0 gpa , what happens if I don't? They just drop you? I also have the right SAT score for the awards, is it possible to receive all?

Ultimately Ill just wait till the package comes in the mail to really see what's going on. What's killing me is that I just found out that the tuition increases by several hundreds every year which i just cant fathom.

Please let me know if this is unclear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
I am kinda freaking out now. The tuition of the school that accepted me is about 20k... so far in the letter they gave me a 9k grant for four years and I have the chance for other financial aid opportunities.

Is it likely that I would receive an even bigger award or is it like one or the other? before you think it's a dumb question..... I ask this because I looked things up on a website that shows the school's award types.

One of them say "Students who do not receive one of the three scholarship awards listed are eligible for academic achievement grants ranging from $3,000 to $ 5,000 per year for four years.All freshman scholarships are renewable annually for a four-year/eight-semester period for the amounts stipulated above provided full-time status and a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 are maintained."

So being that I already received one type of scholarship I can't compile anymore on top of the one I have?

Also all of them say that you must maintain a 3.0 gpa , what happens if I don't? They just drop you?

Ultimately Ill just wait till the package comes in the mail to really see what's going on. Please let me know if this is unclear.
Look, you're going to have to take out loans if you want to do college. That's life.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Look, you're going to have to take out loans if you want to do college. That's life.
Can you answer my questions thoroughly? If not, then don't write. You didn't help me at all to grasp an understanding.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Why don't you consult the school's web site or call up their financial aid office?

It seems like you've already answered your own question for the most part. As for the GPA thing, I think most schools will give you a semester to get back on track, but again you'd have to check the specifics for your school.

I don't know how you expect people to provide "thorough" answers when you've provided nothing more than two sentences from "a website" to go on.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:37 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Only the college you are applying to can tell you if they have anymore money for you. You may need to take out a student loan. Look into on-campus student employment. If you have a 3.0 gpa merit scholarship and you fall below a 3.0 gpa, expect to lose your scholarship. Expect your tuition to go up every year.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Can you answer my questions thoroughly? If not, then don't write. You didn't help me at all to grasp an understanding.
Sure, although I suggest you get a little less peremptory in your own responses. We're answering out of the goodness of our heart, not because we you something. I could just as easily say, don't ask questions you can look up on the Internet in 10 minutes or ask a college financial aid office about.

Here's the deal:

College costs X-say $10,000 tuition a year + $10,000 room and board + $3,000 travel, etc., etc. That's the total expected cost. For the sake of argument, call it $35,000 a year.

Student contributions are Y. They look at your financial picture, that of your parents if you are a dependent student, etc., and come up with a figure that, basically, you need in cash or an ability to get cash. For the sake of argument, call the expected contribution $10,000.

That means you need $25,000 a year above what you're expected.

Colleges and private entities can offer some portion of that as a scholarship. Colleges can also offer a work-study job where you exchange a certain number of hours of week of work for a relief of some of the expected cost; the federal government may also give some portion of it as a grant. Call that portion $10,0000.

So far:
Yearly need = $35,000

Student contributions = $10,000
Grants/scholarships = $10,000

So far you're short $15,000, right?

Well, there are further abilities to take student loans-subsidized, federal government keeps interest rate low, type loans for essentially the entire amount you're short-so in this example you'd have to take a subsidized loan for $15,000.

If you simply can't come up with your contribution (the $10,000 we referenced earlier), you can take out additional loans. If that was the case in this example, you'd have $15,000 in subsidized loans and $10,000 in unsubsidized loans.

The key to getting to all this aid is to:
a) File a FAFSA, on time
b) Find private scholarships and apply to them

In short, don't expect a plug of free cash to pay for your desire to go to college unless you have an exceptional record and have won multiple scholarships. You will need to come up with some savings, and you will need to take loans. Work with your financial aid office at your university to get a complete package of loans, grants, and work-study.

Nobody WANTS student loans. Of course nobody does. We feel they're unfair and onerous, and we'd have liked for all of college to be paid for. But the reality is, most of us have to take them out to afford college because we don't have the academic record to support 'full rides' (a package consisting entirely of grants, scholarships, and work-study that doesn't need to be repaid).

In all likelihood, the letter you got is the first, but it's probably the only scholarship offer you'll get from the university. You'll have to contact the financial aid office to see if loans or work-study offers are forthcoming; we can't answer that for you.

If the scholarship says 3.0, typically, yes, if you drop below that, you'll lose the scholarship.

So I repeat:

You'll have to take loans. That's life.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Since you say financial aid does not cover your expenses, take out loans, or work your way through college.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Sure, although I suggest you get a little less peremptory in your own responses. We're answering out of the goodness of our heart, not because we you something. I could just as easily say, don't ask questions you can look up on the Internet in 10 minutes or ask a college financial aid office about.

Here's the deal:

College costs X-say $10,000 tuition a year + $10,000 room and board + $3,000 travel, etc., etc. That's the total expected cost. For the sake of argument, call it $35,000 a year.

Student contributions are Y. They look at your financial picture, that of your parents if you are a dependent student, etc., and come up with a figure that, basically, you need in cash or an ability to get cash. For the sake of argument, call the expected contribution $10,000.

That means you need $25,000 a year above what you're expected.

Colleges and private entities can offer some portion of that as a scholarship. Colleges can also offer a work-study job where you exchange a certain number of hours of week of work for a relief of some of the expected cost; the federal government may also give some portion of it as a grant. Call that portion $10,0000.

So far:
Yearly need = $35,000

Student contributions = $10,000
Grants/scholarships = $10,000

So far you're short $15,000, right?

Well, there are further abilities to take student loans-subsidized, federal government keeps interest rate low, type loans for essentially the entire amount you're short-so in this example you'd have to take a subsidized loan for $15,000.

If you simply can't come up with your contribution (the $10,000 we referenced earlier), you can take out additional loans. If that was the case in this example, you'd have $15,000 in subsidized loans and $10,000 in unsubsidized loans.

The key to getting to all this aid is to:
a) File a FAFSA, on time
b) Find private scholarships and apply to them

In short, don't expect a plug of free cash to pay for your desire to go to college unless you have an exceptional record and have won multiple scholarships. You will need to come up with some savings, and you will need to take loans. Work with your financial aid office at your university to get a complete package of loans, grants, and work-study.

Nobody WANTS student loans. Of course nobody does. We feel they're unfair and onerous, and we'd have liked for all of college to be paid for. But the reality is, most of us have to take them out to afford college because we don't have the academic record to support 'full rides' (a package consisting entirely of grants, scholarships, and work-study that doesn't need to be repaid).

In all likelihood, the letter you got is the first, but it's probably the only scholarship offer you'll get from the university. You'll have to contact the financial aid office to see if loans or work-study offers are forthcoming; we can't answer that for you.

If the scholarship says 3.0, typically, yes, if you drop below that, you'll lose the scholarship.

So I repeat:

You'll have to take loans. That's life.
Thanks... ill be at home though and its not far from me so tuition is the only thing.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Since you say financial aid does not cover your expenses, take out loans, or work your way through college.
Never said that... i said so far they gave me 9 thousand dollars. I have 11k left to worry about for the year, what i want to know is, is it possible for them to give me more than 1 grant/scholarship just from the school alone... no where else. Read the part where I have the red letters, that is why im confused.

Its set up as if, if you already get a grant/scholarship from them, you cant get another one. However on my letter it said I have more chances for money. Do you get why I am confused?

Yeah, i should be asking my school but once the package comes in the mail i guess ill find out.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
No, what that is saying is if you get one of the bigger scholarships you can't get any of the others listed. That is pretty common with automatic merit aid. There may be other scholarships that aren't listed on that page that you can get, especially if you expect to qualify for financial aid. You may or may not have to take loans but it's likely that you will. It's not the end of the earth and if you ONLY take the federal loans in your aid package the most you can take is $30,000. That is completely do able and WAY better than not going.

I will also tell you that living on campus will garner you more in financial aid then living at home...just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities