Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,086,463 times

Advertisements

I'm studying business (economics, probably) and I'm not sure which is better...? What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 12:42 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,407,774 times
In business you should work toward your BBA or BSBA.
This will provide your core group incase you want to pursue an MBA.

Do you have a concentration? Accounting, Finance, etc.? This helps also.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:50 PM

357 posts, read 891,471 times
From my observations, I have found that a Bachelor of Science in Bus. Administration carries more weight in the job search than a Bachelor of Arts degree.

What is even more important than the type of Business degree you get it your school's accreditation. Make sure that all of your school's programs are accredited by the AACSB. Here is a list of accredited institutions (http://www.aacsb.edu/General/InstLists.asp?lid=3 - broken link).

Good luck!!

Old 12-25-2007, 04:40 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,350,315 times
That would depend on the type of school you are attending and what your future plans are. At most major universities, economics is not a "business" degree. A true major in economics will prepare you to enter a postgraduate program. A BA in economics combines economic science with liberal arts training. You would be able to either attend graduate school or enter the workforce with a BA. Alternatively, the BS in economics provides a rigorous quantitative background for advanced study in economics or business. Basically, if you plan on getting an MBA, it would be in your best interest to study for a BS.

For instance, if you wanted to apply to Harvard or Stanford, they would much rather you have a BS or BA than a BBA. Because a BBA is very specialized and it is not as academic as a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree. If you want a business degree, nothing carries more weight than an MBA.

Now, if you want an undergraduate business degree, it would probably benefit you more to concentrate in finance, accounting, or information systems. But generally speaking, an economics degree is not a business degree, it's an academic degree.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,086,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
generally speaking, an economics degree is not a business degree, it's an academic degree.
After I finish my AA, I'll be attending University of South Florida. They have two economics programs, one is in the school of business, and the other is in liberal arts (the academic degree, I assume). I am entertaining the thought of law school, but that's down the road. I really want to go to work in business, either "corporate america" or independently. Ultimately, at some level, I want to participate in politics.
I see so many people (some working side by side with me) who have an MBA, they seem to getting common. Does that cheapen them?
Thanks for the great advice, more would also be appreciated.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
That would depend on the type of school you are attending and what your future plans are. At most major universities, economics is not a "business" degree. A true major in economics will prepare you to enter a postgraduate program. A BA in economics combines economic science with liberal arts training. You would be able to either attend graduate school or enter the workforce with a BA. Alternatively, the BS in economics provides a rigorous quantitative background for advanced study in economics or business. Basically, if you plan on getting an MBA, it would be in your best interest to study for a BS.

For instance, if you wanted to apply to Harvard or Stanford, they would much rather you have a BS or BA than a BBA. Because a BBA is very specialized and it is not as academic as a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree. [list=1][*]If you want a business degree, nothing carries more weight than an MBA.

Now, if you want an undergraduate business degree, it would probably benefit you more to concentrate in finance, accounting, or information systems. But generally speaking, an economics degree is not a business degree, it's an academic degree.

A few years ago I would say the same, but not so much anymore.
Today, the MBA is the JD of the 80's. As schools continue to pump out MBA's by the boat load, the overall credibility of the degree is losing luster.

Before you would find mostly experienced adults returning for their MBA, today most kids are going from undergrad to grad, thus holding an MBA at the ripe old age of 24. All the paper, none of the experience.

In today's market I would rather hire a person with experience, holding a BS or BBA, with other specialized applications such as a CPA, CSOX, or CFP.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:42 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
After I finish my AA, I'll be attending University of South Florida. They have two economics programs, one is in the school of business, and the other is in liberal arts (the academic degree, I assume). I am entertaining the thought of law school, but that's down the road. I really want to go to work in business, either "corporate america" or independently. Ultimately, at some level, I want to participate in politics.
I see so many people (some working side by side with me) who have an MBA, they seem to getting common. Does that cheapen them?
Thanks for the great advice, more would also be appreciated.
Personally, I think that the academic degree is more useful, especially if your goal is to attend law school. You will develop much stronger reasoning skills with the academic degree. I think that if you want to work in the corporate sector, an MBA is non-optional. By profession, my mother is an attorney, but she also has an MBA that I think she gets a lot of use out of because she works in the legal department of a bank.

It is very true that a lot of people seem to have MBAs, but not all MBA programs are created equal. You have the top tier, then everyone else. For example a Wharton graduate is going to make considerably more than a Tulane graduate. When you get an MBA from a top program, your starting salary is going to be at least 100K. So, the monetary draw of an MBA is what makes it popular, but I would want one more for the skills that it helps one acquire and hone. An MBA is useful even for me as a teacher because it helps you learn to collaborate and things of that nature.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think that the academic degree is more useful, especially if your goal is to attend law school. You will develop much stronger reasoning skills with the academic degree. I think that if you want to work in the corporate sector, an MBA is non-optional. By profession, my mother is an attorney, but she also has an MBA that I think she gets a lot of use out of because she works in the legal department of a bank.

It is very true that a lot of people seem to have MBAs, but not all MBA programs are created equal. You have the top tier, then everyone else. For example a Wharton graduate is going to make considerably more than a Tulane graduate. When you get an MBA from a top program, your starting salary is going to be at least 100K. So, the monetary draw of an MBA is what makes it popular, but I would want one more for the skills that it helps one acquire and hone. An MBA is useful even for me as a teacher because it helps you learn to collaborate and things of that nature.

Now your being biased You ole Philly Quaker
My Tulane degree is just as equal as Wharton. Tulane / Freeman is the Wharton/Princeton of the South as Northwestern is the ivy of the Midwest.

I will give you prop's that Wharton is an outstanding school, but like Northwestern, Tulane, etc., one better make sure that he/she has an established career or they will be spending an ample amount of time paying off a large 6 digit college debt, and that is not counting the cents.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:53 PM

The best way to judge a good school is to look at their sports program. You will notice that Tulane, Princeton, etc., do not talk about our teams as our time is better focused on academics.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:27 PM

498 posts, read 1,520,771 times
Thumbs up Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
The best way to judge a good school is to look at their sports program. You will notice that Tulane, Princeton, etc., do not talk about our teams as our time is better focused on academics.

I am jealous. That is how it should be. I wonder if we couldn't work on EDUCATING the rest of America? I would really like to hear more about this. Is their ACADEMICS better for it? But this here is at the college level, correct? Thanks for the good info., and this is great advise to those who really do have a passion for their ACADEMIC subjects. Thank you Georgia.
YOu have a great day and Happy New Year

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities