Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Sounds like a student and professor who could use a time out to think about their actions. Supposing that this student actually has substantive experience in the subject matter (not a glorified intern), then the student and professor should likely have discussed the matter before the course began. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if you are seeing this student as more knowledgeable than he (I presume) is. I've been in more than a few classrooms with students who think themselves much more knowledgeable than they are--some can even come across as convincing.

What course are you taking, and what is the subject matter?
It's not practical for every student to share his resume with the professor and seek permission to enroll in the course or discuss what the student' level of contribution will be. There are some really cool and accomplished people at elite schools

What's a glorified intern? I bet the president's body man...reggie love or whatever hsi name is..knows more about the office of the Presidency than most poli sci professors that tech the American President. I think the bodyman's job description is to get the president pens and give him hand sanitizer when he shakes grimy hands.

Instead of positing your own (rather counterproductive) scenario address the one that is before you: how to students professors deal with students that know more than they do, or rather have more real world experience than they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM

219 posts, read 431,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
One of the good things about going to an Ivy League school is the exceptional student body. I am taking an intl relations course and this adjunct professor is getting eaten alive by this non-traditional former WH National Security Council staffer. The student actually had the portfolio that the prof is trying to teach and instead of the professor adeptly handling the situation he is trying to show that he is the alpha male in the room but the student just knows more, is on point, and has an amazing ability to be condescending while appearing earnest and respectful.

Neither seems willing to back down and I fear the Professor is going to embarrass himself.

How do Professors handle students more accomplished in their field than they are?
If this is occurring to the level that it is causing a distraction, or disruption, then I think the student needs to be told to cease this behavior or be removed. Sounds like the student is in the class just to make himself feel better about himself. He obviously doesn't feel he is there to learn anything.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
If this is occurring to the level that it is causing a distraction, or disruption, then I think the student needs to be told to cease this behavior or be removed. Sounds like the student is in the class just to make himself feel better about himself. He obviously doesn't feel he is there to learn anything.
No, not at all...I don't think you read my post. I said he is earnest and respectful. He does not speak more than most other students. It is a seminar so it's only 14 of us.

I agree that if someone if being belligerent they should be quiet...but this is not a 3rd tier school...most people know how to act here and the firebomb tossers are pretty savvy.

Again, who cares what someone's motivation is? It's completely irrelevant. It's a course, he paid and enrolled, and there is not much more to say.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 PM

219 posts, read 431,037 times
Quote:
No, not at all...I don't think you read my post. I said he is earnest and respectful. He does not speak more than most other students. It is a seminar so it's only 14 of us.

I agree that if someone if being belligerent they should be quiet...but this is not a 3rd tier school...most people know how to act here and the firebomb tossers are pretty savvy.

Again, who cares what someone's motivation is? It's completely irrelevant. It's a course, he paid and enrolled, and there is not much more to say.
I read your post. I also read how you pretty much came across like a tool in your responses to other people's comments here. By the way, thank you for telling us what is relevant and what isn't. Don't know what we would do without your guidance.
So what exactly is the point of this thread? You said it yourself, you don't think it is a big deal.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
I read your post. I also read how you pretty much came across like a tool in your responses to other people's comments here. By the way, thank you for telling us what is relevant and what isn't. Don't know what we would do without your guidance.
So what exactly is the point of this thread? You said it yourself, you don't think it is a big deal.
Admittedly, I do not suffer fools gladly.

Sorry, I should have said that you did not comprehend what I wrote instead of accusing you of not reading the post. I can determine comprehension but not effort.

It's a messagboard, you ask questions and hopefully get relevant answers.

Last edited by Datafeed; 02-18-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
It's not practical for every student to share his resume with the professor and seek permission to enroll in the course or discuss what the student' level of contribution will be. There are some really cool and accomplished people at elite schools

What's a glorified intern? I bet the president's body man...reggie love or whatever hsi name is..knows more about the office of the Presidency than most poli sci professors that tech the American President. I think the bodyman's job description is to get the president pens and give him hand sanitizer when he shakes grimy hands.

Instead of positing your own (rather counterproductive) scenario address the one that is before you: how to students professors deal with students that know more than they do, or rather have more real world experience than they do?
A student who has extensive practical experience in a field, but is in an undergraduate course on the topic should absolutely speak with the professor beforehand about protocol (and possibly should not be taking the course if it is simply a waste of the student's time). If that student chooses instead to interrupt the course to share their own precious insights, less accomplished students will not benefit from the session.

Assuming, momentarily, that the student in your class is a former personal aide to the President, then I would expect the individual to have a great deal of knowledge about the day-to-day functioning of the White House, and insight into the President's thought process. Neither of which is likely relevant to any course in IR. I assume you are being facetious when you suggest you don't understand what a glorified intern is.

You haven't bothered to address whether the student has substantive experience, or what exactly the topic of the course is. I suspect you can't tell the difference between substantive and non-substantive experience. In fact, it appears that you have posted this thread for no reason other than to stroke your own ego. You and they will grow out of it eventually.

So . . . adjuncts teaching 12-person seminar, attitude, feel the need to call out "Ivy League," IR. You are a sophomore at Penn?

Old 02-19-2014, 01:30 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
This is exactly one thing the prof's office hours in the weeks during course registration are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities