Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 AM

606 posts, read 1,079,003 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is going through this crisis.

She is about to graduate high school, and has absolutely know idea what to do with her life. She doesn't have anything she's really passionate about and wants to study, and she doesn't want to spend time in college if she doesn't have a focus.

I don't want to tell her to go or not to go, because I know that college can help you find interests, but I know that she does not want to get a "useless" degree in English or Liberal Arts though that is what she is interested in. She is worried about the economy, and how difficult it is to find jobs even for college grads. She doesn't want to come out with debt if she can't get a job to pay it off. I guess she's really questioning the worth of college, and I can't say that I blame her considering how many new grads are without jobs and in debt.

Should a person go to college if they don't know what they want to do, or does not have a clear career path for themselves?

Last edited by musicislife.glee; 03-05-2014 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,497,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
I have a friend who is going through this crisis.

She is about to graduate high school, and has absolutely know idea what to do with her life. She doesn't have anything she's really passionate about and wants to study, and she doesn't want to spend time in college if she doesn't have a focus.

I don't want to tell her to go or not to go, because I know that college can help you find interests, but I know that she does not want to get a "useless" degree in English or Liberal Arts though that is what she is interested in.

Should a person go to college if they don't know what they want to do, or does not have a clear career path for themselves?
I would recommend starting out at community college. Everyone has to take core courses across disciplines, and that may help your friend realize where her interests lie (of course she should do as much research and exploring as she can outside of school as well). As long as the credits are transferrable, they should apply to almost any program. Remind her that most people don't declare a major until they are a junior.

And tell your friend to relax. I don't know anyone who knew what they wanted to do with the rest of their life at 18.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Has she applied to any colleges? How much would she have to pay if she did go? I don't agree that going to a community college is a good idea at all. That is not a good representation of what college is like at all. 80+% of all college students change their major at least once. I don't know that you have to know what you want to do with the rest of your life by 18 years old. Yes, it's nice to have a general idea like "I enjoy my science classes" but to say I want to be a molecular biologist isn't necessary.

I say if she can go for a semester to start, depending on where they are financially, see how things go and then take it from there. Live on campus, see what others are doing, grow up a bit, take some classes that interest you, explore your options.

I also think taking 2 or 3 career interest surveys is a good idea..they give you a general idea of career paths. I also think that most 18 year olds have no idea the range of careers out there and it exposes them to some areas to consider.

Not sure how close of friends you are but what do YOU think your friend would be good at--maybe suggest that as something to consider because maybe she hasn't thought of that before.

If after a semester or a year she doesn't have more direction, take a year off to refocus...

Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
Quote:
she does not want to get a "useless" degree in English or Liberal Arts though that is what she is interested in.
You might suggest that she do a little more brainstorming about what exactly she likes in those areas and then look into related jobs that are hiring. For example, if she "likes to write" (most people don't -- it's "having written") and she can handle technical topics, she might look into technical writing internships or volunteer positions. That's just an example! She might find that becoming an office assistance where she can do company newsletters is right up her alley.

And given the high cost of most four-year colleges, there's nothing wrong with taking some courses at a good community college. Just do some research ahead of time to make sure the class is worthwhile.

But I'm a great believer in starting with the jobs one likes to do first and then considering what education is needed to advance in the field. There's nothing wrong with being able to work in two-three fields, either! That allows one to remain employable.

Historical perspective: at one time, many women were first taught typing and "secretarial" skills. From there, many went on to do other things, but being able to fall back on those skills was a plus! Today, men and women do well learning some basic office assistance skills. These jobs don't pay well, but they are meant to be a starting point or stop gap in a bad financial situation.

Yeah, my age is showing. (;

Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,497,148 times
Community college may not give the full college experience, but I think that's OK for someone not sure if they even want to go to college. CC allows you to explore different subject areas without racking up a ton of debt or draining Mom and Dad's bank account. As long as you make sure the credits are transferrable to specific 4-year programs, there's no harm in taking classes there first. I transferred something like 36 CC hours in my undergrad program, but my degree is still the same as everyone else I graduated with.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:44 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:

Not to a university, in my opinion. A community college, on the other hand, sure.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:57 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
Unless you are going into engineering or medicine, you have time to take a wide range of classes while you are deciding what you want to major in. If you can identify your areas of interest and your strengths and weaknesses, that can help you narrow your choices. You don't need to know exactly what occupation you will have when you graduate but you should have an idea of what you can do with certain degrees. With a degree in English you can go into journalism, teaching, publishing, marketing, PR, business, law, etc. It is certainly not useless, there are lots of options.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
I find it rather strange that a person can go to school for 12 years, having the guidance of their teachers, counselors and parents during that whole time, and yet cannot decide on a career path by the time they reach college age.

What in the world is going on here?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
I wouldn't.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:45 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Unless you are going into engineering or medicine, you have time to take a wide range of classes while you are deciding what you want to major in. If you can identify your areas of interest and your strengths and weaknesses, that can help you narrow your choices. You don't need to know exactly what occupation you will have when you graduate but you should have an idea of what you can do with certain degrees. With a degree in English you can go into journalism, teaching, publishing, marketing, PR, business, law, etc. It is certainly not useless, there are lots of options.
You have to take a very wide range of classes for medicine too. Almost every program has gen ed requirements in the STEM fields and humanities, even engineering majors take courses across the humanities fields... MIT Course Catalog: School of Engineering just for one example....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities