Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 PM

166 posts, read 447,277 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have a Bachelors in liberal arts and would like to go back to school soon. Do you think it would be a better career move to get another Bachelors, this time in computer science (I'm considering Oregon State University's online computer science program) or to get a Masters in Management Information Systems locally, at University of Houston - Clear Lake? I plan to stay in Houston or possibly move to Austin one day and would like something that could help me to have a good career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,236,697 times
Oregon State U ranks low for Comp Sci.

I'm not sure about MIS at U of Houston, but the school ranks pretty low overall. It might be better for the local job market, if that's where you plan on staying forever.

Which degree you should do really depends on what field you want to be in. If you want to work in CS, then study CS. If you want to work in M/IS, then study MIS. They are completely different programs.

Austin is a tech hub and a CS degree from a solid school can open you up to many opportunities. How about Ms CS? It may require bridge courses, but will serve you well in Austin.

Last edited by NJBest; 03-03-2014 at 12:47 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,750,107 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-computer.html

Old 03-03-2014, 06:11 PM

I don't know that I would be able to do a program like that here in Houston. The only one I know of is at Portland State University, and I'm sure people would also say, Portland State University is not a good school either.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,237,603 times
Computer Science is more technical than MIS. With CS, your're likely to be dealing with operating systems, system architecture and programming, etc. There's a lot of math/engineering/theory. You might work primarily with hardware/software/other programmers with limited interaction with non-technical people in your organization.

MIS is more about delivering data (information) to end users/public. You would be more likely to design database tables, produce user interfaces, design/create web sites, etc. You would probably have much more interaction with non-IT people in whatever organization you were employed in.

I think which program you choose depends upon your temperament and inclination as well as your math/logic skills.

I think what you should look for in a program is what kinds of opportunity for hands-on experience you'll be getting because employers love to see that you've worked professionally in your field. A six week internship is not a good opportunity. A semester long internship, even if it extends the program longer, is a much better opportunity.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 AM

484 posts, read 885,301 times
I think overall the job prospects are better for those with degrees in computer science, but if you plan to stay in Houston then I think a master's in MIS is probably the way to go.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:40 PM

What makes it difficult is that I already have a Bachelors and I will have to work fulltime while I go to school. So, unless the opportunity is a fulltime paid internship, I won't be able to participate in one of those. Also, the only CS program that would fit with my schedule is an online one.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:23 PM

229 posts, read 383,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
What makes it difficult is that I already have a Bachelors and I will have to work fulltime while I go to school. So, unless the opportunity is a fulltime paid internship, I won't be able to participate in one of those. Also, the only CS program that would fit with my schedule is an online one.
I am in a similar boat. I have a BA in journalism and I am going back to school for CS. I am actually going to a community community college to pick up an applied associates which is geared toward industry. The most important thing is to pick up skills and NETWORK (in a social sense, as well as the computer sense I suppose). I am good at networking and meeting people so I know that will help me.

But I have a blog about this career transition that has more information. You can click my username for the link. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities