Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:57 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm not too sure I am following here. How does a professor teach the wrong course? My guess is disgruntled student. I've had some terrible professors, so bad that I think I would deserve a grade dispute.. but at the end of the day it is the student's responsibility.
The teacher admitted it, and told the class her mistake. She was supposed to be teaching Intro to Chemistry but instead taught a more advanced chemistry course. Students must have thought Intro was just harder than they expected it to be! If they've never had chemistry, how would students know what a beginning course was supposed to consist of? After admitting the mistake, the teacher gave students extra credit so no one failed the course, but the 4.0 students still had their perfect GPA ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
I can sort of understand how a 4.0 student can fail a chemistry class that's meant for science majors. There is a reason why colleges have separate science courses for majors and non-majors. There are people who excel in business, the humanities, and/or the social sciences, but have trouble in science courses.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I can sort of understand how a 4.0 student can fail a chemistry class that's meant for science majors. There is a reason why colleges have separate science courses for majors and non-majors. There are people who excel in business, the humanities, and/or the social sciences, but have trouble in science courses.

From my experience at a few colleges, the standard Chemistry course is called General Chemistry I and General Chemistry II and if it is called Introduction to Chemistry it is quite possibly lower than a 101, such as CHEM-100.. which would make it a remedial course.

Either way, since the professor admitted it.. I think it is fairly ridiculous that this could happen. I think the students should be allowed to retake the course for free and get their grade 100% replaced.

There are way too many professors and people in academia who have their heads so far up their asses and think they walk on water. It's rather annoying.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
From my experience at a few colleges, the standard Chemistry course is called General Chemistry I and General Chemistry II and if it is called Introduction to Chemistry it is quite possibly lower than a 101, such as CHEM-100.. which would make it a remedial course.

Either way, since the professor admitted it.. I think it is fairly ridiculous that this could happen. I think the students should be allowed to retake the course for free and get their grade 100% replaced.

There are way too many professors and people in academia who have their heads so far up their asses and think they walk on water. It's rather annoying.
Lone Star Community College is in Texas, obviously, and Texas community colleges use a common coding system. Intro to Chemistry is for non-majors while General Chemistry is for majors. Intro to Chemistry is not remedial. Remedial courses at Texas CCs are less than 100-level. It's easier for me to navigate the San Antonio College website since I was once a student there, so I'll use that as an example.

Introductory Chemistry is CHEM-1305.
Quote:
Introduction to elementary inorganic chemistry and is suitable for non-science majors and students pursuing degrees in allied health and nursing.
CHEM 1305 - Introductory Chemistry Lecture I - Acalog ACMS

General Chemistry is CHEM-1311.
Quote:
Fundamental principles of chemistry for majors in the sciences, health sciences, and engineering; topics include measurements, fundamental properties of matter, states of matter, chemical reactions, chemical stoichiometry, periodicity of elemental properties, atomic structure, chemical bonding, molecular structure, solutions, properties of gases, and an introduction to thermodynamics and descriptive chemistry.
CHEM 1311 - General Chemistry Lecture I - Acalog ACMS

General Chemistry requires a higher math prerequisite.

There is a higher level of General Chemistry coded as CHEM-1411, but I'd have to figure out how to post a direct link to it.
Quote:
This course covers the fundamental principles of inorganic chemistry: general chemical principles, fundamental laws and theories, including but not limited to modern atomic theory, chemical bonding, states of matter, solutions, stoichiometry, thermochemistry and gas laws. The course content provides a foundation for work in advanced chemistry and related sciences, and as such is aimed at science majors. This course is math-intensive (MI). The prospective student needs to have a good working knowledge of the use of scientific notation, including use of calculator, exponential and logarithmic functions, significant figures, dimensional analysis, and solving simple linear equations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities