Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:46 PM

628 posts, read 1,390,009 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a specific question that I'm having difficulty finding information about on online search engines.~

I have an Associates of Arts Degree in General Studies - Arts.~

Is there any Environmental Bachelor's Degree I can get using my Associates of Arts Degree in General Studies - Arts?~

If so, what are they?~

Please list.~

I was thinking maybe Environmental Education of some kind, is this doable?~

The reason I'm asking is because I already have my Associates of Arts Degree in General Studies - Arts that I used a Pell Grant to pay for half of it and it took me 2 years of being a full time student to get the degree.~

I don't want to use another 2 years getting my Bachelor's Degree when I could be using my Associates Degree to cut the 4 years to get a Bachelor's Degree in half.~

Also I've been told that the Pell Grant won't pay for another Associates Degree, so I can only use it to continue my education.~

I've been told my AA is the same thing as a Liberal Arts degree, is this true?~

I've been reading about colleges mixing liberal arts with environmental studies, this seems like a beneficial thing for people like me.~ ^_^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:33 PM

186 posts, read 349,557 times
My understanding is that Pell Grants pay for as many undergraduate classes that you want until you either reach and apply for a Bachelor's Degree or you reach 600% of some amount that I am not to sure about.

Go for the Bachelor's though it will help open so many doors for you.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:43 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Your best course of action is to find a local college (4 year) with the major you want and call the registrar at that college or the admissions office and just ask them what credits they will accept. There's no way any of us can answer your question definitively as the answer varies from each college.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
My understanding is that Pell Grants pay for as many undergraduate classes that you want until you either reach and apply for a Bachelor's Degree or you reach 600% of some amount that I am not to sure about.

Go for the Bachelor's though it will help open so many doors for you.
Thanks!~ I agree that it's best to pursue a bachelor's degree instead of another associates degree.~ ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Your best course of action is to find a local college (4 year) with the major you want and call the registrar at that college or the admissions office and just ask them what credits they will accept. There's no way any of us can answer your question definitively as the answer varies from each college.
Unfortunately this would be difficult since I'm in the process of applying for the AmeriCorps for a number of reasons:

1. To actually try out the subjects I'm interested in.

2. The experiences and skills I could use to apply for future jobs.~

3. The continuing education award for each term of service completed.~

4. An income, I don't mind the small amount: I've always planned on living a nomadic minimalist life.~

It would be difficult to do as you say, because I don't know if I will be accepted into the program I applied for and there are just too many factors to consider right now so I could end up any where in California and beyond if I do get into and finish an AmeriCorps term of service.~

I just wanted a general list of possible subjects so that I could see what some of my possible options are.~

The thing is I don't know what major I want exactly only I want it to be some thing having to do with the environment that covers enough subject areas where I could use it any where: urban, rural, wilderness.~

But I especially want to specialize in wilderness areas.~

Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 PM

778 posts, read 824,187 times
Assist.org is your new best friend.

In general, you're going to need to beef up on science and math courses, but a lot of your general ed should be covered.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Thanks!~ I agree that it's best to pursue a bachelor's degree instead of another associates degree.~ ^_^

Unfortunately this would be difficult since I'm in the process of applying for the AmeriCorps for a number of reasons:

1. To actually try out the subjects I'm interested in.

2. The experiences and skills I could use to apply for future jobs.~

3. The continuing education award for each term of service completed.~

4. An income, I don't mind the small amount: I've always planned on living a nomadic minimalist life.~

It would be difficult to do as you say, because I don't know if I will be accepted into the program I applied for and there are just too many factors to consider right now so I could end up any where in California and beyond if I do get into and finish an AmeriCorps term of service.~

I just wanted a general list of possible subjects so that I could see what some of my possible options are.~

The thing is I don't know what major I want exactly only I want it to be some thing having to do with the environment that covers enough subject areas where I could use it any where: urban, rural, wilderness.~

But I especially want to specialize in wilderness areas.~
You are going to be going around in circles if you don't just start somewhere. What you really need is a career counselor. Something to consider is instead of thinking of what you'd like to do for the rest of your life, just think of what you'd like to do within ten years. You will most likely not stay in the same position forever.

Americorps is a great idea and I hope you get in. I know three kids that have done it, but all had their bachelors degrees.

When my youngest son was deciding on a college and a major, one thing he did was look at the actual curriculum required for the potential majors at different schools. You could do something similar for any college that appeals say this one: Environmental Education, BA | Western Washington University

Another suggestion is to find out what four year colleges your AA degree college has articulation agreements with. Those colleges should take your gen ed credits, with less hassle than any other college.

This may also help: Environmental Education Major

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Assist.org is your new best friend.

In general, you're going to need to beef up on science and math courses, but a lot of your general ed should be covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You are going to be going around in circles if you don't just start somewhere. What you really need is a career counselor. Something to consider is instead of thinking of what you'd like to do for the rest of your life, just think of what you'd like to do within ten years. You will most likely not stay in the same position forever.

Americorps is a great idea and I hope you get in. I know three kids that have done it, but all had their bachelors degrees.

When my youngest son was deciding on a college and a major, one thing he did was look at the actual curriculum required for the potential majors at different schools. You could do something similar for any college that appeals say this one: Environmental Education, BA | Western Washington University

Another suggestion is to find out what four year colleges your AA degree college has articulation agreements with. Those colleges should take your gen ed credits, with less hassle than any other college.

This may also help: Environmental Education Major
Thank you!~ ^_^

Some things you should know:

1. I got my AA in General Studies - Arts from El Paso Community College in El Paso, Texas, U.S.A..

2. The AmeriCorps program I applied for REQUIRES that I DON'T already have a Bachelor's Degree, it's on a Native American Reservation and it's a residential program called Hoopa TCCC like AmeriCorps NCCC but some what different because it mainly deals with Native Americans on their Reservation.

Here is the link to the program description:

https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing...ing.do?id=7865

3. I only want to help Humans and their environment co-exist together in harmony as part of of my future desired job. The other parts I want to do is to help restore, protect, and care-for the environment itself and the animals who live there to make a difference.

I do not want to work in a classroom nor any kind of indoor office. I do want to specialize in wilderness environmental areas.

The goal is to one day travel the planet going where ever I am needed into the deep parts of the wild alone or in teams cut-off from all other Human contact and actively work using hands-on application to help better the environment in ways such as restoration, protection, etc. instead of only studying the wilderness environment.

When I am not working in the isolated parts of the wild, that's when I would like to continue my work but in addition I would like to teach people through first-hand hands-on work-study outdoor classes what I have personally learned from first-hand experience and how they can live in a way that both them and their environment can co-exist in harmony through practices such as Sustainable Living, Zero-Waste Practices, etc..

Thank you for the information and the links, I will use them and do more research as you both have suggested!~ ^_^

Thank you!~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 05-24-2014 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,884 times
I went to college in California.

I have an AA degree in Liberal Arts (sounds similar to yours). When I went on to a Cal State University (CSU), my classes that I took for my AA degree were applied to the BA degree.

So, my 60 units transferred over to the CSU, and with the CSU requiring 124 units for a BA, I only had to take 64 units of my major upper division requirements. In total, because I was a night student, it took me five years total to get both degrees.

Different universities will call what you want to do different things - Environmental Studies, Planning, Geography, etc.

Best wishes! I'm an environmental scientist (with an MA degree) and I love love love my job.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
I went to college in California.

I have an AA degree in Liberal Arts (sounds similar to yours). When I went on to a Cal State University (CSU), my classes that I took for my AA degree were applied to the BA degree.

So, my 60 units transferred over to the CSU, and with the CSU requiring 124 units for a BA, I only had to take 64 units of my major upper division requirements. In total, because I was a night student, it took me five years total to get both degrees.

Different universities will call what you want to do different things - Environmental Studies, Planning, Geography, etc.

Best wishes! I'm an environmental scientist (with an MA degree) and I love love love my job.
Thanks, I'm really hoping this program accepts me because the most important thing to me is independence.~

Basically I literally want to learn basic life skills, that not a lot of people in these modern days learn: construction, farming, tailoring, gathering, cooking, medicine, hunting, fighting, etc. and I mean BASIC like carving wood from trees with homemade axes and knifes basic, all with zero-waste, no highly technological help, and with an environmental conscious aim.~

From what I can learn from this program this supposedly teaches these basic life skills, I seem to qualify exactly for this program, and this seems exactly what I need.~

I basically want to learn the basic skills of and live like an Amish person, but closer to the old way of living of the Indigenous people of America.~

My idea of true independence is learning basic life skills of those described above to take care of myself.~

It seems crazy to me that so many "modern-day" people live off paycheck to paycheck to completely support themselves or rely on others to help support them.~

I don't think I'll ever be satisfied until I become my idea of truly independent: learning basic life skills to truly take care of myself and these trades could help me find work any where on this planet as I want to help people.~

I want to get a job to help people, not to live off a paycheck.~

Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Thanks, I'm really hoping this program accepts me because the most important thing to me is independence.~

Basically I literally want to learn basic life skills, that not a lot of people in these modern days learn: construction, farming, tailoring, gathering, cooking, medicine, hunting, fighting, etc. and I mean BASIC like carving wood from trees with homemade axes and knifes basic, all with zero-waste, no highly technological help, and with an environmental conscious aim.~

From what I can learn from this program this supposedly teaches these basic life skills, I seem to qualify exactly for this program, and this seems exactly what I need.~

I basically want to learn the basic skills of and live like an Amish person, but closer to the old way of living of the Indigenous people of America.~

My idea of true independence is learning basic life skills of those described above to take care of myself.~

It seems crazy to me that so many "modern-day" people live off paycheck to paycheck to completely support themselves or rely on others to help support them.~

I don't think I'll ever be satisfied until I become my idea of truly independent: learning basic life skills to truly take care of myself and these trades could help me find work any where on this planet as I want to help people.~

I want to get a job to help people, not to live off a paycheck.~
I think that many people don't feel that a job defines who they are. Many of us work at jobs that we actually like, and also do things we enjoy on the days when we're not working. I've always told my kids that their goal in life should be to find a career that they enjoyed and could support them. Whatever you do, you will be partly depending on someone else (someone to hire you) or something else (weather if you farm). The Amish people have been successful because they depend on each other for just about everything, same with native americans.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities