Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times

Advertisements

The fact is, the "stereotypical college experience" of nonstop drinking, partying and hooking up is not as widespread as you probably think. It is mostly reserved for a small minority of the super-hot, and isn't even often the norm for most of them. Don't take your cues about what real life is like from popular culture or limited personal observations. If you want to re-enroll to further your education, great. But if you want to re-enroll to capture some magical, mythical time of free flowing booze and sex, you are likely to be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 9,270 times
I don't buy it, too many people lived it and not me. I just need to know if it is possible if I re-enroll or if college kids are that cliquish.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:10 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,230 times
sure, it's possible if you want to take out a loan for it.

However, imagine you are a hiring manager, and you have two candidates:

first one) 22 year old grad, fresh from college. decent GPA, seems to have clear idea of what he wants.

second one) you. 25 year old. Same degree, went back to college to get second degree. Actual use of second degree is questionable, low GPA (people who party all the time don't have stellar GPAs), very muddy path, no clear focus.

Who would you hire?

Life is an uphill struggle no matter what you do, you shouldn't deliberately put obstacles in your way.

but it's your life, if you want to make it harder on yourself, who am I to complain?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
I went back at 24 (not to party) and I'm sure the 18 year olds thought I was a dinosaur. If you want to get a self-esteem boost from young girls you bought alcohol for, go ahead.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:23 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theuncynicalcynic View Post
I am not gonna lie, as I said in a previous thread of mines, my college experience was a disaster. Had plenty of family issues and I was depressed most of the times because of that and stress.

Luckily, I graduated without any debt.

Now here I am at 23 and what would make me happy is being around a lot of people from the 18-22 age group who want to party, get drunk, hookup, and just live the stereotypical college experience.

Is it possible?

I never lived the experience most kids live in their first 2 years of college and I would give a lot to live that experience.
It is possible, but stupid.

College is expensive, and the consequences of how you fund it, what you do there (or don't), and where you land when you come out have critical consequences for your life-long financial viability and quality of living.

So sure, if you have a lot of money to waste - or your family does - go ahead and re-enroll in college just to goof off for a while. Or you could always take out loans.

But if you're not a trust fund baby, you'll end up realizing what a stupid idea this was when you emerge from college and join the real world, potentially with a lot of debt and no marketable skills, and realize how long and unforgiving the road of financial responsibility ahead of you will be.

If you want to spend years getting drunk and making poor decisions, there are cheaper ways to accomplish these objectives.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Some people will always have to learn things the hard way.

So be it. ;-)

Old 06-15-2014, 10:42 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,632,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theuncynicalcynic View Post
I don't buy it, too many people lived it and not me. I just need to know if it is possible if I re-enroll or if college kids are that cliquish.
Why don't you go to Grad school? Meet some people there and then go out with them. I am also 23 and am transferring to a university from a community college this fall. I felt the same way a few months ago. I thought it sucked that I wouldn't be able to enjoy dorms like 18 and 19 year olds do. I quickly got over it though when I realized my grades and school performance were far more important than dorm rooms or parties.

You are only 23. You are still young. You are only a year older than college seniors and two years older than college juniors and are still in your early 20's. I have had classes with people in their 30's that dropped out of school in their early 20's and are only now going back. Me and you are nowhere near old! This is the time of your life when you figure out your path in life and who you want to be. I think you should apply to grad school and major in whatever you want there. Most graduate programs do not require the same undergraduate degree. You don't want to be in your 30's still having these thoughts.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Eh, find some skeevy friends, buy some hair gel, go out clubbing and be obnoxious. Don't have to be a college student to do that. Cheaper than having to repay a student loan.

Jim Carrey night at the Roxbury (original version) - YouTube

Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 AM

205 posts, read 245,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Why don't you go to Grad school? Meet some people there and then go out with them. I am also 23 and am transferring to a university from a community college this fall. I felt the same way a few months ago. I thought it sucked that I wouldn't be able to enjoy dorms like 18 and 19 year olds do. I quickly got over it though when I realized my grades and school performance were far more important than dorm rooms or parties.

You are only 23. You are still young. You are only a year older than college seniors and two years older than college juniors and are still in your early 20's. I have had classes with people in their 30's that dropped out of school in their early 20's and are only now going back. Me and you are nowhere near old! This is the time of your life when you figure out your path in life and who you want to be. I think you should apply to grad school and major in whatever you want there. Most graduate programs do not require the same undergraduate degree. You don't want to be in your 30's still having these thoughts.
I wish my grad school experience was like that. I ended up getting put with immigrants that kept to themselves and everyone else was either anti social or had an angry chip on their shoulder due to life choices. My two years in grad school were probably the ones where I had the least social interaction compared to undergrad.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 9,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I wish my grad school experience was like that. I ended up getting put with immigrants that kept to themselves and everyone else was either anti social or had an angry chip on their shoulder due to life choices. My two years in grad school were probably the ones where I had the least social interaction compared to undergrad.
I can see this being the case, doubt people in grad school know how to have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities