Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:39 PM

56 posts, read 121,573 times

Advertisements

To major in Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering? Im bad at math, I failed it twice during high school. I plan on transferring from a community college so hopefully that'll sharpen my math skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Yes, you do.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Short answer: yes.
Slightly longer answer: High-school level math is essential for both; Computer Science requires a lot of math you don't get much of in high school, and Mechanical Engineering is extremely math heavy.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotron3000 View Post
To major in Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering? Im bad at math, I failed it twice during high school. I plan on transferring from a community college so hopefully that'll sharpen my math skills.
Yes. Mechanical engineering without math is drawing and hope.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:59 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,165,333 times
From what I'm finding, you need a solid background and an interest, not necessarily an innate ability.

Translated, that means put in the time to concentrate on the math and you will do ok. It's a lot of work, I'm in the same boat.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,344 times
Quote:
for comp sci, yes.
you'll usually need up to calc 3 (multi variable) or linear algebra. On top of that you usually take a math class called "discrete math" which is very proof heavy. How well you do in discrete math is really the best indicator of how you'll handle mid & upper level cs classes. It's not the straightforward math taught in low level math classes [which high school adeptly prepares you for]. It requires more abstract thinking -something not really taught in high school.

the calc classes can usually be taken at a community college. They are bound to be easier as calc 2 is generally a weed out class.

mech engineering takes calc 1- 3 and differential equations at the average college. Occasionally linear algebra is thrown in as well as stat. you'll take a calc based physics class and afterwards a class called statics. Both are the best indicators of how you'll handle your mid and upper level engineering classes (Statics is an engineering class, usually the first one taught).

Old 06-14-2014, 09:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Comp Sci? Yes. I was a comp sci major, and the norm was to finish at least calc 1 while in high school. You won't use math on the job as much, but you have to be able to 'think mathematically' about problems. You will, however (as others have said) need to get through at least calc 3 to get a comp sci degree

Old 06-14-2014, 02:37 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,395,110 times
Yes to both. If you are bad at math, run far far away from these subjects.

To get an engineering degree, you have to basically get a math major.

CS isn't quite as bad, but you still have to be good.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:06 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post

since when? most upper level math is abstract. Engineering is all about the practical. When is an engineer going to use number theory?

Old 06-15-2014, 06:50 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post

CS isn't quite as bad, but you still have to be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
since when? most upper level math is abstract. Engineering is all about the practical. When is an engineer going to use number theory?
It's because most people don't know what pure mathematicians actually do. Mechanical engineers take classes that almost always involve some sort of math, but rarely the kinds of math modern mathematicians are interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities