Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2022, 10:16 AM

174 posts, read 132,170 times

Advertisements

My daughter is waiting for a few state universities to give (transfer) acceptance decisions....one is out of state and 2 are in-state. The out of state one said they will give a decision within the next 2 weeks. The in-state ones have acceptance letters going out between May 1 and June 30. We really can't wait until June bc our family is potentially moving out of state and need that information now.

I think it is highly likely she will be accepted by all 3 but we need actual confirmation in order to make a moving decision. Could we be successful in pushing for a decision from the university?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 07:40 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrews12 View Post
my daughter is waiting for a few state universities to give (transfer) acceptance decisions....one is out of state and 2 are in-state. The out of state one said they will give a decision within the next 2 weeks. The in-state ones have acceptance letters going out between may 1 and june 30. We really can't wait until june bc our family is potentially moving out of state and need that information now.

I think it is highly likely she will be accepted by all 3 but we need actual confirmation in order to make a moving decision. Could we be successful in pushing for a decision from the university?
no!

Old 05-12-2022, 08:02 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
How does college acceptance affect your moving decision? Are you planning to move to whichever state accepts her to get in state rates? Most states will see through that.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:35 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
My daughter is waiting for a few state universities to give (transfer) acceptance decisions....one is out of state and 2 are in-state. The out of state one said they will give a decision within the next 2 weeks. The in-state ones have acceptance letters going out between May 1 and June 30. We really can't wait until June bc our family is potentially moving out of state and need that information now.

Why should a college make a policy exception for your daughter and make a decision six weeks prior to the deadline to accommodate you? Your potential move is a personal decision.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:40 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
The college might make a decision early to accommodate you but it will most likely be, " We're sorry to inform you that Insert College Name cannot offer you acceptance to the Class of 2026. Good luck in your future endeavors".

One caveat is if you can convince a legislator for a state school or a member of the Board of Trustees for a private one to apply the pressure for you, although either may come with a cost.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:15 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
One reason that schools can't give out early information to transfer students is that they may not know how many transfers they can accept until they determine how many students are planning to return or transfer. Incoming freshman classes have a pretty set number because the schools know how many they can accommodate. Not so much with transfers, particularly if housing is in short supply or certain academic programs are over enrolled.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:27 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
I doubt it. And I would definitely not try to use political influence to get an earlier decision than other students. The school may take this as if they are being pressured to make a favorable decision based on factors that have nothing to do with the application, and rightfully so. At the very least it's favoring one student over all the others which is wrong on its face.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:56 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post

Yeah they move on island time.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:04 AM

174 posts, read 132,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How does college acceptance affect your moving decision? Are you planning to move to whichever state accepts her to get in state rates? Most states will see through that.
No, that's not what we're doing

Old 06-06-2022, 02:21 PM

531 posts, read 424,384 times
I went to an out-of-state university and they required students to reside in said state continuously for one full year prior to the semester for which in-state status was sought. I think the only out-of-staters who were able to get around it were the people who had vacation/second homes there for at least a year. But then again, they might see through that too because let's say you live in northern MA but your vacation home that you're using for in-state tuition is in southern CT, but the student graduated from a public high school back in northern MA, it would be obvious what was going on.

I also agree that I wouldn't bug them for a decision. They'll get to you when they get to you, unfortunately.

Last edited by Remy11; 06-06-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities