Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,501 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had a vicious or mean professor? My professor was just nasty. He was racist towards Hispanics and blacks, said some slurs, he said that the Voting Rights Act should have been abolished, that minorites shouldn't vote, used to make some mean jokes and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 12:46 PM

14 posts, read 52,722 times
with all that how he is even able to keep his job these days?

Old 08-07-2014, 12:49 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloststudentinlife View Post
with all that how he is even able to keep his job these days?
Tenure.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:50 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,501 times
He used to call us grifters and fools. He made fun of one of the students for wearing slippers in class, calling them a lazy bum. He was very, very harsh.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
One. She was the new head of the Theology & Religious Studies department at my college. I took an introductory "Christian" theology course to get my religion requirement out of the way. She initially liked me, but our differences soon became apparent. She was theologically very liberal and I was/am a conservative Catholic. I only can imagine how her jaw dropped when I stated the Church's teachings on contraception as a sign of contradiction in the world. She actually sent me out to the hall like a first-grader (on an unrelated note) and then explicitly forced me into a very awkward position in order to change my grade. She was the only professor whom I felt uncomfortable walking in the hall or being alone in an elevator with.

Every other professor, even an old professor with ties to the radical left, loved me, even though they were aware of my beliefs. Unlike her, they had the ability to tolerate differences.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:37 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
He made fun of one of the students for wearing slippers in class, calling them a lazy bum.
Sounds like someone who didn't already know everything might actually be able to learn something useful from this professor.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:47 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
I only had one in a college PE class, which was required at the time but no longer is. She was a very manly woman who took herself way too seriously.

I had some really mean ones in high school, but not really in college. College professors tend to be a more intellectual bunch whereas high school teachers, at the time, were there because they found the easiest degree with 3 months a year off was one in Education.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I once took a creative writing class and the professor was a real jerk. Creative writing is something that comes from an individuals imagination so how can someone critisize that but he did to the point of having arguments with students and making some of them even cry. The professor took the class way too seriously no one should be chastised in the middle of the class and their ideas trashed. There was no need for it.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Have you ever had a vicious or mean professor? My professor was just nasty. He was racist towards Hispanics and blacks, said some slurs, he said that the Voting Rights Act should have been abolished, that minorites shouldn't vote, used to make some mean jokes and stuff.
I had a white professor who was racist towards whites. He was a big time apologist. I'm all for telling history like it is, but racism is racism. I also had a few snooty and pretentious ones, but never any who were mean.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Worse one was being fired by the university so he decided to make the course so hard, no one could pass. He gave a pop major test, didn't teach the subject matter of microprocessors, announced another major test for Thursday on Tuesday. On Thursday, he came in and lectured for 40 minutes on West Texas Rivers. With only ten scheduled minutes left in the class, he looked at his watch, said there were about 45 minutes left but that was until the classroom was used next, and gave the exam.

People who should have made A's were making C's and D's and the rest of us struggling types, including yours truly, flunked.

Dropping courses at that university was not easy to begin with and I was very young and inexperienced back then. I believed to keep going regardless of the obstacles.

The worst part? All he really did was hurt the students. As far as the university was concerned, we had to pay again to take the course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities