Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,802 times

Advertisements

First off, I was never the type of person that obsessed over academics, so I really don't care if the classes are "too easy" or if professors don't "push students hard enough" (this is what I saw in A LOT of reviews about the school). I actually prefer smaller classes to massive lecture halls with 200 other people.
Im at the end of my junior year in high school and I'm constantly being pressured to pick a college. My original plan was to go to a community college for cosmetology and minor in journalism but my parents kept fighting me over my decision, saying that I won't get anywhere in life if I go to a community college because "only poor people or people who are too dumb to get into universities go there". I see no point in trying to argue with them anymore because they're stubborn as all hell.
I know a guy who knows a guy who goes to MSU and he says that the campus life is great, there's a lot of ethnic diversity and classes are small and not too difficult. I started doing research and found that they have a certificate program for makeup artistry (my top career choice) and it's cheaper than my local community college, so I was psyched about that and I immediately scheduled a campus tour.
I read a bunch of reviews and most of the people complained that it's a ****ty school. I want to know whether or not I should apply because I'm running out of time to make a decision and I know for a fact that I have almost zero chances at any other school with my 2.8 GPA. What I look for in a school is smaller, easier academic classes, DIVERSITY (I'm an immigrant lol), extracurriculars such as sports and music, and just the campus life in general.
Would I be better off at the community college or should I take my chances with MSU? Also keep in mind that other universities like Rutgers or TCNJ are not an option due to cost. And it's not hard to get into, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 11:31 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoulditmatter View Post
First off, I was never the type of person that obsessed over academics, so I really don't care if the classes are "too easy" or if professors don't "push students hard enough" (this is what I saw in A LOT of reviews about the school). I actually prefer smaller classes to massive lecture halls with 200 other people.
Im at the end of my junior year in high school and I'm constantly being pressured to pick a college. My original plan was to go to a community college for cosmetology and minor in journalism but my parents kept fighting me over my decision, saying that I won't get anywhere in life if I go to a community college because "only poor people or people who are too dumb to get into universities go there". I see no point in trying to argue with them anymore because they're stubborn as all hell.
I know a guy who knows a guy who goes to MSU and he says that the campus life is great, there's a lot of ethnic diversity and classes are small and not too difficult. I started doing research and found that they have a certificate program for makeup artistry (my top career choice) and it's cheaper than my local community college, so I was psyched about that and I immediately scheduled a campus tour.
I read a bunch of reviews and most of the people complained that it's a ****ty school. I want to know whether or not I should apply because I'm running out of time to make a decision and I know for a fact that I have almost zero chances at any other school with my 2.8 GPA. What I look for in a school is smaller, easier academic classes, DIVERSITY (I'm an immigrant lol), extracurriculars such as sports and music, and just the campus life in general.
Would I be better off at the community college or should I take my chances with MSU? Also keep in mind that other universities like Rutgers or TCNJ are not an option due to cost. And it's not hard to get into, is it?
For doing makeup? Why waste your time at a 4 year or 2 year college? Shouldn't your time be best spent at whatever type of a school that teaches the art of make-up?

Find Make-Up Artist Training Schools Near You

But incase you decide that it might be a good thing to be well rounded and end up with a BA:

If you're going to live on campus?

I would pick RU over Montclair State.

RU: (can't get much more diverse than RU)

Commuter………………VS………………….. On-Campus

Tuition: $ 10,954 ……………………………………... $ 10,954

Fees: $ 2,859………………………………………….. $ 2,859

R&B: $0…………………………………………………….. $11,748 ‡

Total: $13,813…………………………………………….$25,561

Montclair State:

Commuter…………………VS………………….On-Campus

Tuition and Fees: $11,540………………………………………... $11,540

Room and Board: $0…………………………………………………... $14,140

TOTAL: $11,540…………………………………………..$25,680

Old 05-16-2015, 11:41 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
Quote:
My original plan was to go to a community college for cosmetology
I like this idea, as long as the pass rate for students from that school to get their cosmetology license is 80% or higher.

It's your career, and if you take out a loan, you will need to pay it back. It's often easier to pay off a degree from a community college.

Consider minoring in accounting instead of journalism. That way, if you open your own shop or mobile cosmetic business, you'll understand how to keep your own books. Take a few classes for small business owners, too.

Especially if your parents are not paying for your college, it's really none of their business what you study.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:35 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,067,455 times
Arguably, it might make more sense to get some sort of a vocational degree from a public community college where you could live at home and just commute, paying low tuition. College degrees are a penny-a-dozen today and our nation has a gigantic oversupply of college graduates in almost all fields, including those with advanced degrees. Arguably, for many people, especially those who aren't in the top 25% of the IQ distribution, it might make more sense to get a vocational degree in a field where you think you could do a good job of the work and where the work would be tolerable.

We're living in very different times from when your parents grew up and formed their opinions and not everyone will be able to become members of the top 5% or even top 10% or 20% economically. For some people, a smarter choice might be to aim for a middle class or lower middle class socioeconomic status while having zero student loan debt and minimal opportunity cost.

It's not what ignorant brain-washed parents who have been indoctrinated with the myth that higher education guarantees middle class success (since they were in Kindergarten) want to hear, however. Contrary to popular belief, the overwhelming majority of real world jobs that people actually do make no use of and do not require much if any college education. (If everyone had a four year college degree, we'd have college graduates working at Walmart and McDonalds. We'd still have the same percentage of people working crappy jobs as before, only with Bachelors degrees and student loan debt. Sad, but true.)

Whatever you do, try to keep student loan debt to a minimum. Preserving your financial freedom should be a top priority in an age where a college degree has a decreasing amount of value.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I like this idea, as long as the pass rate for students from that school to get their cosmetology license is 80% or higher.

It's your career, and if you take out a loan, you will need to pay it back. It's often easier to pay off a degree from a community college.

Consider minoring in accounting instead of journalism. That way, if you open your own shop or mobile cosmetic business, you'll understand how to keep your own books. Take a few classes for small business owners, too.

Especially if your parents are not paying for your college, it's really none of their business what you study.
I really like that idea, actually. I'll definitely look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities