Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 PM

26 posts, read 30,712 times

Advertisements

I am using the cost estimator on the FAFSA website and I am having a little trouble interpreting what some of the information is telling me. I am curious if someone with more experience might be able to tell me what I am looking at here. I am guessing my gross income will be 26,000 or so this 2014 tax season. I put in total checking/savings of $1000.00. I am 27 years old, am single, and am the only person in the household. I went to Rasmussen before and got an associates and don't really know if that qualifies as a "sophomore" so I just put in that I attended before and was a 1st year student. I have been out of school for 6 years and only have like $4000.00 or so left on prior loans. The yearly cost of tuition at the technical college is about $5868. There will not be any work study income.

The question is with an EFC of 5,682 and tuition at $5868 do you know, in your experiences, if I can at least get a loan that I can pay back after graduation time? I don't care about grants, I just want to go back to school no matter what the cost. I can't pay out of pocket due to child support. Would I do better to get a lower paying job at half the gross income and work part time for a year so my tax return is only like ~$13,000? The reason I can do this is because I could live with family and literally give all my income to my child's mother, a price to pay but if it's my only hope I'll do it.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/f4cForm?execution=e1s1 this is what I used to calculate the information. As an independent am I entitled to the $9,500 freshman loan amount?

I don't know if I want to do a full on FAFSA as it seems to want to send stuff to the school and what not and I do not want to commit to the loan or have to cancel the loan or whatever if I am approved. Perhaps this is a misunderstanding too. I actually spoke with financial aid at the school tonight during their open house and they seemed to think my gross income is too high. I don't know if they were thinking about free grants or loans though. Thinking back now I wish I had asked a bit more.

Last edited by PaulB007; 10-27-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 AM

26 posts, read 30,712 times
I figured it out, no need to reply, thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities