Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at getting a master's degree in accounting... how important is the AACSB accreditation in accounting for each business school? They have a general accreditation for the business school, and then a special accreditation just for accounting. I was looking at their list (http://www.aacsb.edu/General/InstLists.asp?lid=5 - broken link) of schools and was surprised, both by the schools that make the list and the schools that don't. For example, there are almost no Ivy League schools that are AACSB accredited in accounting. The state of California, for example, which has dozens and dozens of business schools, only has 5 schools with the AACSB accounting accreditation: USC, U. of San Diego, San Diego State, Cal State Fullerton, and Santa Clara U. How does San Diego State make the list but not Cal Berkeley? And for Colorado, CU Boulder (the state flagship university) does not have the accreditation, but CU Denver (a branch campus) does. Are the schools that are good for accounting different than the good business schools in general? How important is AACSB accreditation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Well I noticed that there are several Ivy League schools that founded that agency, including Harvard, and they have their Schools of Business accredited , but not their accounting program specifically.

Accreditation is one of those words that is used a lot but can actually mean different things in different situations. While it's very important for a college or university to be accredited; as well as medical programs and engineering programs -- it is not really important that a Spanish program be accredited. Take computer science for example. 15 - 20 years ago, it was not uncommon to have computer science in the math department of some colleges; making it ineligible for ABET accreditation. The ABET has changed it's system a bit and so have colleges. However, there are still a lot of good computer science programs out there that are not accredited. One example is Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's program; who has their engineering program accredited, but not the computer science program; although aerospace companies from around the world send their engineers there for research and recurring training (so it's hardly a bad program).

In accounting, to become a CPA, there is no requirement that you be a graduate from an AACSB accredited program. Often times, the most important tidbit a potential accounting student should have about the school is what percentage of graduates pass the CPA exam and in how many attempts. You will also need to look at your personal desires as far as what you want to do and look for programs that can provide that training. For example, if you plan to become a tax professional, a school that offers a Masters of Taxation program might be attractive.

What AACSB accrediation does do is establish high standards and requirements of the schools and professors holding that accreditation. When this happens the program earns respect. Therefore, you have edge above other applicants in a competitive market. To think you'll get into Price, Waterhouse, Cooper's without graduating from a AACSB accredited program may be wishful thinking. Especially if you don't have significant prior work experience. Coming from a top-notch program gives you a bit more than just you yourself alone could bring to a potential employer.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 AM

87 posts, read 126,567 times
Exclamation AACSB accreditation

AACSB accreditation in accounting is a big plus, but many schools have only the AACSB accreditation in business administration; however, they still have excellent accounting programs. Most employers (CPA firms, etc.) would like to have both accreditations, but they will settle for the accreditation in business administrtion.

By the way, beware of schools that offer "regional accreditation" as their best credential. Graduate business credits earned in such programs do not transfer to AACSB-approved schools.

Last edited by ggjacobsen; 01-08-2008 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: add heading

Old 01-08-2008, 04:48 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Thanks MissShona and ggjacobsen. I'm still a little perplexed about why many no-name schools make the list and why many top-notch schools don't-- but I'm thinking that I will only apply to AACSB accredited accounting programs. After all, with over 160 accounting programs that ARE AACSB accredited, why waste time with those that aren't? Do you know where you can obtain information on CPA exam pass rates? I would love to get a hold on such a list. Also, other than the accreditation of the school, what else does it take to get into the Big Four after graduation? Do you have to get the CPA certification first, or will they hire you while you are in the process of taking the tests? And one other question-- I hear a lot of people start off their careers working for the big Four, and then leave to work directly for a company. Do you know how many years on average people work for the Big Four before moving on (or becoming a partner)?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Check out Welcome to Accounting.com, your complete accounting resource!. Their forum is obsessed with everything Big 4.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I just wanted to add that CPA certificates are issued by states and each state has different criteria as to who can even sit for the CPA exam. For example, MD has an extensive list of very specific classes and the number of credits that must be earned for each class. In other words, if you're going for the CPA, I'd got to the state and find out which schools will meet the state's criteria. For example, I went to school in Oregon and live in MD. I can't sit for CPA in MD because a statistics course isn't approved by MD so they want me to take another that is.

Alternatively, there are some states that don't require residency to sit for the CPA. I think Delaware might be one. I'm considering sitting for the CPA and getting CPA certificate in Delaware just to have it on my resume. But, really accounting is such a huge field it really depends on what you want to do.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
good advice all.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM

20 posts, read 131,994 times
U.S. News does annual rankings... including Graduate Accounting. Here's the link...

usnews.com: America's Best Graduate Schools 2008: Complete Guide to Business Schools

Moderator cut: text and link

Last edited by Beretta; 05-02-2008 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: removed signature and link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities