Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:32 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,637 times

Advertisements

Let's say you spent 10+ years in prison for something stupid like drug dealing. Let's say you had a $100k student loan debt before your state governor put you behind bars for that period of time.

What happens to your student debt during that time. Does it go to collections? What happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 07:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
It just keep getting bigger and bigger,

But if you have no money after you get out there is nothing to collect, they will hassle you till you die.

But you can't get money out of a stone, You stay on a cash basis the rest of your life...

Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Let's say you spent 10+ years in prison for something stupid like drug dealing. Let's say you had a $100k student loan debt before your state governor put you behind bars for that period of time.

What happens to your student debt during that time. Does it go to collections? What happens?
Drug dealing us a crime, and last I checked the governor does not put people in prison.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:48 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
I think there would be a lot more problems than student loan debt if state governors could just stick anyone in prison, as last I looked the only thing they can do is issue executive orders and either sign or veto bills from the legislature.

A student loan is, for the most part, like any other debt. It will go into default if you don't pay it. Unlike most other types of consumer debt, it is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:55 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think there would be a lot more problems than student loan debt if state governors could just stick anyone in prison, as last I looked the only thing they can do is issue executive orders and either sign or veto bills from the legislature.

A student loan is, for the most part, like any other debt. It will go into default if you don't pay it. Unlike most other types of consumer debt, it is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
A student loan is NOT like other debt, until you pay off it just sticks with you like a bad alcohol abuse problem. The less you do with your life the worse it gets over time.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:00 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
A student loan is NOT like other debt, until you pay off it just sticks with you like a bad alcohol abuse problem. The less you do with your life the worse it gets over time.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

BTW the government will keep any tax refunds you would otherwise be entitled to, if you are behind on student loan payments.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:44 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
until you pay off it just sticks with you like a bad alcohol abuse problem.
That's not completely true... There are forgiveness options.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:18 AM

529 posts, read 508,511 times
For debts not related to student loans, if is my understanding that sometimes they are expunged from your credit history after 7-10 years. For instance, if you owed a credit card money and did not contact them for 10 years, you would still owe the debt, but it would not longer have meaning in your credit history. This is just something I heard through the grapevine, but I've never put any stock in it. As for student loans, I don't believe there is any circumstance where they are forgiven. Even in death the loan carries on to the beneficiary, no?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:29 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Death will carry on to the Estate of the loan holder.

If there are any assets after Estate fees, Taxes, secured loans, Student loans, Unsecured loans(Credit cards), then to the beneficiaries get whats left .

Old 05-27-2016, 08:33 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
What kind of degree did you get that is not allowing you to work? Everyone that I know that took a loan to go to school is working and is able to pay their loans. I don't see the problem. I also don't know anyone that deals drugs and happens to have taken on loans to go to school. I would be thinking that they don't need a loan to go to high school. Besides that the drug dealer would have dropped out before they made it to their Senior year so no loans. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities