Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 08:58 PM

67 posts, read 58,858 times

Advertisements

I went to community college when I was 19 and then over the years took classes. Last time I was in college was back in 2009. I restarted in 2015 and I am 41. This time I am serious in completing my undergrad degree in Healthcare Administration. I have been self-employed as a small medical billing company for the past 10yrs and do not require a degree but I want one for personal reasons as this is something that has always bothered me. Besides I want to be a good role model for my two kids.. But I did not realize how hard it is to juggle kids, and a business and manage some sort of a family life with school. I will be done by the end of 2017 :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 09:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,575 times
Went to college for the first time at 33. Had no prior science or computer background, ended up with a BS in geology with a minor in GIS. I finished school when I was 41 on 2009. Eight years. I did take a couple semesters off, so 7 years to get a 4 year degree. I mainly went that long because that seemed to be the salad days for financial aid. They kept giving me grants and scholarships so I kept going to school and taking extra classes. I didn't take out any loans.

By the time I graduated the financial bust had affected the oil/gas industry around here so there weren't any geology jobs.

After I finally graduated I ended up working in geoarchaeology and GIS for archaeological consulting. I got laid off a good job I had with that last year and haven't found anything else yet.

Thankfully I still live like a student, very frugal, so I can skate a bit this year as far as working goes.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I did my bachelor's in the traditional 18-22 age window. I started my master's at 37. I was neither the oldest nor youngest in my program.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:11 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,131 times
Bachelor's degree in '95. I'm now 41 and going back to school for my Master's degree. I start in a few short weeks.

The last time I was in college was 1999 when I was going to get my Master's at that time, but my job needed me to travel and it was too good of an opportunity to pass up, so I left after just one semester completed. Didn't feel the need to go back since I was always sent to training at regular intervals. My experience and training always propelled me forward. In hindsight, I could have done this in my 30's, but again, I was doing fine without it.

I don't have a problem going to school at this age. I'm actually very excited to go. I know a few 40-somethings who are going to school. And until recently reading around online, I never even thought about my age being an issue. I have never looked my age, never felt "old and tired", and I certainly don't believe that once someone turns 40, their life is over.

Best of luck and congratulations to you as well!

Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
I originally went to culinary school , graduated with a degree, and found a great job working at the Waldorf Astoria for a while as a pastry chef. That was my 20's. I had a daughter at 27 and realized the culinary field wasn't gonna work forever with 16 hour days and a baby. I stayed home for 4 years and just re-enrolled in college to get my AA and move on to my Bachelors. I was 31 when I enrolled for my AA. I'm now 32 in my second semester. I thought it would be challenging with a 5 year old and I was right. I do my homework after she goes to bed for 5-6 hours then wake up for work. I love it though and it feels nice to be working towards something again.

My husband is slated to graduate early next year from FIU with a BA in Finance and Economics. He'll be 33

Old 03-16-2015, 09:30 PM

332 posts, read 868,555 times
When I took courses at a comm college a man who appeared about 70 years old was taking a class! That was many years ago though.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I'm 38 and entering the Radiography program this fall here in Chicago. I didn't go back to college until I was 33 years old. All I hear about is students in their 20's going back to school. I would like to hear about older students who went back to school, graduated and found a great job.

Thanks
My husband went back to school to further his education and just graduated last year. We are around your age. He was already working in the field that the degree was in, it was more of getting the piece of paper to be able to apply for different positions in his industry. It worked, and he was able to get a position that was double the salary!

Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
I earned my Associates degree when I was 24 (delayed by four years in the Navy).
I earned my Bachelors degree when I was 31.
I earned my Masters degree when I was 56.
I'll have richly earned my retirement degree next year, so no more academic degrees. From now on, schooling is for fun!

The Associates got me my first 'real' job. The Bachelors got me my career job, (still here after 32 years), and the Masters allowed me to continue teaching at the local community college, (and a nice weekly pay increase here at my 'mortgage paying job').

p.s. The teaching is just a couple nights a week. I get students of all ages, from fresh bunnies right out of high school to crusty old tortoises with more wrinkles than stars in the sky. Makes for enjoyable classes and interesting interactions.

Last edited by volosong; 03-17-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 02:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
started college at 17 with the maturity of a well....17 year old
dropped out after 2 years with 1.88 GPA
next 7 years picked up courses where and how I could
went back full time at 27
graduated with BS at 28- high honors
MBA with high honors at 29

Old 03-17-2015, 03:07 PM

4,865 posts, read 6,929,879 times
I got my bachelors pretty traditionally at 23.

My youngest daughter went one semester of college with the maturity of a, well... 17 year old (sound familiar no kudzu)

Worked several years in various jobs with one being a CNA at a nursing home. Actually loved patient care and went to LPN school. Worked full time as an LPN for 5 years while taking classes part time towards her RN. Graduated as an RN just shy of her 29th birthday and landed a charge nurse position with her current employer due to all her experience, even though she has just the Associates Degree.

She plans on taking a year off from studies and then start part time classes at a program that transitions directly to a Masters. It'll take several more years to accomplish this, but she's pretty motivated. Besides, the pressures off. She's already an RN and passing boards is history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities