Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,989 times

Advertisements

So, I'll be getting out of the military in a few months and want to pursue a degree in Computer Science and work in the Information Technology field. Ill be starting at a Communtity College and transfer to NC State.

But, the thing is: Im 25, is this too old to start? And also, Im not good at Math, barely passed it in high school... Do I still have a shot at CS if im not good at math?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 12:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
For what my old experiences are worth, I don't think 25 is too old. I was 24 when I started college out of the Air Force. I didn't start a career until I was 30 although I stayed in school for a MS. I suppose I did okay. I was a biologist.

Sorry but I can't speak for computer science degrees. I did have to have some computer science work during my graduate work but we were still using Fortran and card punch machines. Yep, I almost remember the end of the Pleistocene period.

Best of luck. Go for it!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:41 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
No you are not too old to go for a degree and yes you need to be good at math for a computer science major. I would suggest a career aptitude test to get some suggestions. Welcome to Assessment.com, Home of MAPP Career Test Not sure if this one is really free as I didn't go through it, but if you google, "Free career aptitude test" you'll get several sites.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:22 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
Being 25 is definitely not too old to get a college degree. Computer science degrees typically have math requirements like Calculus and discrete math.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:32 PM

394 posts, read 435,450 times
It is NEVER too old to start man, just make sure you do your RESEARCH (like you are), have a good plan, and VISIT/READ UP on all the universities you have in mind

For CS... YESSS!!! you need to be good at Math, the lower level math for CS will coincide with that of Engineering students so you should be pretty good at Algebra, Pre-Cal, and Calculus

Old 06-02-2015, 05:49 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylic312 View Post
So, I'll be getting out of the military in a few months and want to pursue a degree in Computer Science and work in the Information Technology field. Ill be starting at a Communtity College and transfer to NC State.

But, the thing is: Im 25, is this too old to start? And also, Im not good at Math, barely passed it in high school... Do I still have a shot at CS if im not good at math?
I decided to to go return to school when I ETS'd from the Army back in 2013, I too was 25 back then and now I'm on track to graduate in December. I've taken some intro level courses with mostly 18/19 year old Freshmen and no one here bats an eye at an older guy attending.

You will need some decent Math skills if you want that CS degree, I recommend taking advantage of whatever tutoring resource is available at your school if you ever find yourself in a bind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities