Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 01:57 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,146,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Low quality schools are just that... low quality. They don't provide a solid college education. It doesn't matter whether they are for-profit or non-profit. Sure, maybe the low quality non-profit school you attended was marginally better than UOP... but if it was low quality (as you suggest), then you're nowhere getting your time or money's worth compared to a decent school.
It was significantly not marginally, better than UOP even when it was not considered the most prestigious school. That goes to show how much of a lower quality school UOP or many for-profit schools are in comparison to even a lower tier typical university. I was able to get somewhere in my career because the school itself had a good reputation and faculty (the teaching within the program itself could have been better).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
There was no scam. Students were promised a degree by attending classes. Students got their degree as promised. Albeit a mediocre one. But that's what they chose and that's what they got.
You paid significantly more for your mediocre degree. I am sure you could have received a degrees from UCLA for the price you paid. If your employer paid, then atleast you did not have to pay for that degree on your own.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:00 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,852,666 times
Quote:
There was no scam. Students were promised a degree by attending classes. Students got their degree as promised. Albeit a mediocre one. But that's what they chose and that's what they got.
They take taxpayers and students money and screw them over and you invested with those monsters.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:03 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,492,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
You paid significantly more for your mediocre degree. I am sure you could have received a degrees from UCLA for the price you paid. If your employer paid, then atleast you did not have to pay for that degree on your own.
He attended Princeton.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:10 PM

Some of them target students that would not be successful in a typical university. I view many of them as degree mills offering a subpar education.

The same can be said about several non-profit public and private schools.

Disagree yet again. For-profit universities are known for at times targeting gullible, low income people that are not suited at all for college level education. They are pushed through the degree program with administrators knowing they lack the skills to be successful and left with degrees that are not recognized or respected in the end. They are stuck with years of debt in which they are unable to repay. Some even lacked reading and comprehension skills that many have learned in grade school. I have encountered this several times in the short eight months I attended a for-profit school.

In any one of the typical universities I have attended, in all the 6 years I was a student, not one person struggled with basic reading or comprehension. Not saying a student that lacks the most basic skills has never attended a typical university, but they do not get far and they are certainly not pushed through and granted a degree.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:11 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,838,587 times
I get the distinct impression that certain people are so enamored of the free market - and, indeed, see it as a virtual panacea for producing superior products in almost all situations - that they simply cannot accept the fact that both public and private colleges and universities which exist primarily for the purpose of education and not for the purpose of turning a buck have very well-deserved reputations for educating that far exceed those institutions that exist primarily to make money.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,184,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
UCLA would not have been appropriate for my specific fields. I'm not sure what my education has to do with this particular topic. Care to explain?

Old 05-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I get the distinct impression that certain people are so enamored of the free market - and, indeed, see it as a virtual panacea for producing superior products in almost all situations - that they simply cannot accept the fact that both public and private colleges and universities which exist primarily for the purpose of education and not for the purpose of turning a buck have very well-deserved reputations for educating that far exceed those institutions that exist primarily to make money.
Indeed. A for-profit university is not in the same category as a university that is respected for providing a high-quality education. This is common accepted knowledge, and it doesn't matter how much one tries to deceive themselves. I supplied a comparison of the tuition of a for-profit college v. UCLA (a well-known, respected school), and the fees were very similar. If one cannot see how this is an unfavorable situation, I have little sympathy when the end results are poor.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
UCLA would not have been appropriate for my specific fields I'm not sure what my education has to do with this particular topic. Care to explain?
The entire thread is about for-profit universities. You mentioned that those that attended UOP were not scammed; that they paid for a degree and granted a degree. Unless you received a degree from UOP, not sure why you would defend a university that most know are there to make money and nothing really more than that. So, I naturally assumed you were a graduate-is this correct? If you are not a graduate of their university, then why defend them?

I did not say for you to go to UCLA, I was giving an example of how one typical degree mill for-profit university charges similar to a well-respected university such as UCLA, to make a point that for-profit universities are extremely expensive. Since I personally attended that particular university, I know for a fact they are only in it to make as much money as possible. That school did not even have their own building. I have been on the campus of UCLA, and spoke to staff and inquired about degree programs, I can understand they would charge $13,000 per year tuition; not a school that doesn't have a campus, it's own building, offers low-quality education, no bookstore, no places to study, no tutoring and the list goes on and on.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:48 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
Nope. I was being pushed towards Heald Business College in the 70's but I opted not to attend. To be fair, it wasn't a bad thing back then and did give people a leg up on certain types of tech and speciality programs. Later it became another diploma mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities