Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
If he wants conservative, I'd suggest schools in the south and southeast--Carolina's/Georgia maybe.
I don't know anything about schools in Georgia, but he would need to be careful about NC. If I were he, I would avoid Duke like the plague. UNC at Chapel Hill has a very strong left-wing bias, has for years, and even N C State U in Raleigh is beginning to circle the same drain. If he were interested in NC, he would probably enjoy East Carolina U (ECU) in Greenville -- good academic programs and cute girls with good mental health who seem to actually like guys. Here's an example of a mindset you don't see as much of at ECU:
Quote:
In other words, he wants his "sexist racist homophobe transphobe fascist nazi" remarks and attitudes to go unchallenged. Well, this is 2015 not 1955 nor 1895. Deal with it.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 05-31-2015 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:08 AM

66 posts, read 85,994 times
Thanks everyone. First I would like to correct everyone in saying that he is my nephew not my son or my friend. He is the son of my brother. I sent him this thread and I just got off the phone with him. He has decided that there is really no reason for him to stay in college. He said if it wasn't so expensive it would be one thing but to either have to choose between a no name school or leftist indoctrination and pay $30k or more a year isn't worth it. I'm sad because he would be our first graduate in the family but if I don't blame him because if I had to deal with **female dogs** like the poster linda_d all day I would likely have bloody knuckles and a rap sheet so I completely understand him. I let him know that if my brother doesn't take it well he is always welcome at my place. I work for a car company that has a few factories in the US so I am going to make a few calls to get the ball rolling for him job wise. Thanks anyhow /thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:11 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I'll stand by my statement. If this student can't find a few like-minded individuals among more than 25+K undergrads then he holds reactionary views that he wants validated, and he's not going to find that on any college campus in 2015 even at religious schools. CU has fraternities and a BCS level football team; it's not "super liberal".
Oh, I absolutely agree he should be able to find peers at CU. Not sure I would credit them for having a BCS level football team, but that's a different issue....

Old 05-31-2015, 09:17 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent from norcal View Post
Thanks everyone. First I would like to correct everyone in saying that he is my nephew not my son or my friend. He is the son of my brother. I sent him this thread and I just got off the phone with him. He has decided that there is really no reason for him to stay in college. He said if it wasn't so expensive it would be one thing but to either have to choose between a no name school or leftist indoctrination and pay $30k or more a year isn't worth it. I'm sad because he would be our first graduate in the family but if I don't blame him because if I had to deal with **female dogs** like the poster linda_d all day I would likely have bloody knuckles and a rap sheet so I completely understand him. I let him know that if my brother doesn't take it well he is always welcome at my place. I work for a car company that has a few factories in the US so I am going to make a few calls to get the ball rolling for him job wise. Thanks anyhow /thread
OP, you just lost a great deal of credibility to me with that comment. I am also starting to think there are some bigger issues at play here and at some point, your nephew will have to go to school and work with people of different (possibly extremely different) views from his own. Sounds like his choice to quit school altogether is throwing out the baby with the bathwater, though.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 AM

He said he even tried going to the " young republicans club" but even they were oddball types. He just said the social climate was wierd. They had gender neutral restrooms in the dorms for "gender not confirming students (aka don't think they are guys or chicks)" the girls were very feminist, everything was LGBT this or "white privelege" that and he didn't want to pay for that with his tuition money. Don't blame him tbh the world has fallen off a cliff where a kid can't even go to college without being bombarded with that crap. Sad.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
OP, you just lost a great deal of credibility to me with that comment. I am also starting to think there are some bigger issues at play here and at some point, your nephew will have to go to school and work with people of different (possibly extremely different) views from his own. Sounds like his choice to quit school altogether is throwing out the baby with the bathwater, though.
That's just my way of speech. I wasn't actually threatening to punch that lady. I'm a bit rough around the edges. My take from him is that he doesn't want to pay a small fortune to have to deal with that crap from both professors and other students. I get it. I work with different types of people as well but we get along because we talk about work and I am getting paid to be there not the other way around.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Yes of course but frankly I don't think there is anywhere completely balanced. Academia is by default leftist usually. I'm not him or his parents so I don't know, I just know what he told me which is that he wants a University that leans to the right. I think he is just looking for somewhere that his beliefs are the mainstream which is understandable (the reasons why liberals move to Portland and conservatives move to Arizona etc). He is getting his degree and then getting an MBA so tbh I think he looking for somewhere that he will be happy more than anything. All I know is that he is unhappy enough that he is sacrificing several thousand dollars that he paid for his summer dorm to get out of CU Boulder and has told me he would rather be a college drop out and just go into construction than go back to a place like that

It really isn't.

And college is a good place to be challenged on one's paradigms, if he isn't willing to be challenged and even amend his views based on the information he takes in, college probably isn't for him.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
He said he even tried going to the " young republicans club" but even they were oddball types. He just said the social climate was wierd. They had gender neutral restrooms in the dorms for "gender not confirming students (aka don't think they are guys or chicks)" the girls were very feminist, everything was LGBT this or "white privelege" that and he didn't want to pay for that with his tuition money. Don't blame him tbh the world has fallen off a cliff where a kid can't even go to college without being bombarded with that crap. Sad.

That "crap" is reality. There are gay people in the world, everywhere. There are trans people in the world. And the vast majority of women, especially educated ones, don't think they are second class citizens (i.e. they're feminists). It's important people learn to live in the real world.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
My nephew is studying at University of Colorado at Boulder. He loves CO and it's beautiful. He is an Econ major. He is unhappy there because of how one sided the ideological bent of his professors and the general student population is. He is pretty conservative and is really sick of republican bashing and endless praise of Keynes and Marx in his economics courses, and radical leftism being the norm for students. He also doesn't like the overt Political Correctness where you have to watch what you say or be labeled with the "scarlet letter" of sexist racist homophobe transphobe fascist nazi etc.

The issue is that most places that are known as more "conservative" are usually religious colleges like BYU, Liberty U etc. or if not they are tiny little colleges. He wants a larger campus community because he says it's easier to meet girls when there are more kids. He is leaving CO regardless and moving back in with his parents in the East Bay of SF in NorCal until he can figure out what to do next.

Here is a description about him:

19 years old
Mixed (my side is half Mexican half Irish, his mom is half Filipino half italian) but he looks like a tan white guy with a Spanish last name
Not religious (raised Catholic but he is agnostic I believe)
Doesn't have a girlfriend
As for now he wants to major in Economics and minor in Psych (he thinks knowing how people think will make him a better business man)

Open to all regions but for weather purposes would prefer to not be in the south
Wants a school with 10k or more students
Right leaning
Public or private

I don't want to argue about politics or debate anything. I am just asking for him because no one in our family knows about colleges as he is the first one to attend a four-year university (I am a community college dropout..)

Thank you
There are a lot of big state universities in the mid-west that probably fit the bill. And also the mid-atlantic area (MD, DC, VA) - it's almost the south, but not quite. Not necessarily hard-core right-leaning, but you won't find any hippies, either. Compared to the NW, it will probably feel way more southern than it is.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:54 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
That's just my way of speech. I wasn't actually threatening to punch that lady. I'm a bit rough around the edges. My take from him is that he doesn't want to pay a small fortune to have to deal with that crap from both professors and other students. I get it. I work with different types of people as well but we get along because we talk about work and I am getting paid to be there not the other way around.
Colleges are not all like that. In fact, in the midwest and the south, most of them aren't like that at all. However, if he decides he'd rather drop out than continue or transfer, then he can probably look forward to a lifetime of working for all those liberal hippy lg-whatever types that annoy him so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities