Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:36 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,693 times

Advertisements

That is my question.

I'm not a hunter and you won't find me on the gun forum. I'm not religious so I don't stalk the the various religion forums. I don't care about women's fashion so I have nothing to add to fashion and beauty.

What's the deal here?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
That is my question.

I'm not a hunter and you won't find me on the gun forum. I'm not religious so I don't stalk the the various religion forums. I don't care about women's fashion so I have nothing to add to fashion and beauty.

What's the deal here?
I don't think anyone is against college so much as what colleges have become.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Who is against college?

Only bitterness I see is from people who thought it was some guarantee of something.

But a lot of these kind of people think that they get an A for participation.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Frustrated because they couldn't go to college, but find that they need to.
Envious of others who did go.
Seeking validation that not going to college is OK.
Blaming college for other failures in their lives.
Blaming college for the inability to find work.
Blaming college for their mid-life crisis.
Blaming college for mistakes in life.
...many reasons.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times
Some times they are just trying to let others know before
they get sucked in by a lot of educational hype, that they
would be wasting there time and money going to collage.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Makes sense to me that the overeducated and underemployed would want to inform others that higher education isn't always the answer. And those student loans are hard to repay working for $10 per hour. Quite a few people are disenchanted with the whole process. There's enough blame to go around, we can all share.

If I had a child graduating high school today, I would be willing to finance them to become a plumber or an electrician. Great jobs that pay well and can't be outsourced. You can work for yourself or someone else. A decent living can be made anywhere, even just trolling for work on craigslist. If my child wanted to pursue higher education, great. They can study anything their heart desires for the pure joy of learning. On their own dime. After work.

Recently I was excited to find a job ad for an Analytical Chemist. Until I found out the job really did pay $10 per hour. Even if no promises are made, people attend college with the belief that higher education will allow them to make a living wage. They believe this because EVERYONE told them it was true.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
I don't really have certain forums that I participate in and others that I stay out of, I just throw my two cents in wherever I have something to say and that's about it.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Perhaps they feel they have something worthwhile to contribute, like warning others about the likely outcome of getting a philosophy degree?

Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Perhaps they feel they have something worthwhile to contribute, like warning others about the likely outcome of getting a philosophy degree?
I have a degree in philosophy and I know of at least 20 other people who also attained some kind of degree in philosophy. Please tell me, what is the likely outcome of getting a degree in philosophy. (and I do realize that your post was likely sarcasm, but I'm still curious to know what you think the likely outcome is--not because I'm trying to bait you, but I just would like to know what the average person thinks is the outcome of getting a bachelor's (or master's) in philosophy).

Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
It used to be common knowledge that simply completing college does not entitle one to a great, high-paying job... that one needs to go above and beyond to be competitive and should be working toward their life-after-college goal from the moment they register for their first course. I think that some the younger crowd isn't getting that memo these days and choose to blame the universities for being money grubbing scams because they chose to sink tens of thousands of dollars into something without thoroughly researching it first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities