Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 03:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

For anyone with a problem with student debt, some interesting articles in Forbes (also has article on colleges for best value).

Why College Loan "Relief" Services Are a Bad Move
By John Wasik
Forbes

In the wake of the 2008 housing crash, mortgage debt “relief” companies sprang up like poison mushrooms. Promising to rescue homeowners with underwater mortgages, they charged exorbitant–and sometimes illegal–fees. Now similar hucksters have targeted a new group of drowning debtors.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnwasik/2015/07/29/how-college-loan-relief-firms-prey-on-desperate-borrowers/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I think a big part of the problem is people getting into feel-good majors. Sounds nice, but when you have to pay the bills, get training in a vocation and get a minor in feel good. The debt relief companies take advantage of those looking for a quick out.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:42 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think a big part of the problem is people getting into feel-good majors. Sounds nice, but when you have to pay the bills, get training in a vocation and get a minor in feel good. The debt relief companies take advantage of those looking for a quick out.
You mean that Masters degree in Puppetry I received from the University of Connecticut, accumulating $160,000 in student loan debt in the process, might not pay off??? How can this be?

A family friend had a daughter received her BA in 2002 from a highly acclaimed college well known for their theatrical arts program.

Her student loan debt should be a monument to student loan debt anywhere because it keeps growing because she can't pay on it

Shocking I know but she can't find work in the field so it's Starbucks and related jobs like that.

The last I heard was her student loan debt exceeded $150k and being federally insured it can never be discharged but just grow. Say goodbye to any income tax refunds forever.

Federally insured student loans are the worst thing that ever happened to our children.

The only thing student loans did was allow for the salary inflation of "professors" to expand in the only environment they could. Without that six figure professorship where else would some of these "professors" be able to find a job other than Starbucks?

I am not knocking education but I am knocking the artificial inflation of the cost of going to college.

Kind of like being treated for cancer and finding out the hospital waiting room is decorated with $500,000 in real art works along the wall.... while waiting for your chemotherapy that will make you puke you can enjoy the art work and wonder why your medical bill is so high.

Really, without the availability of federally insured student loans what do you think would happen to the cost of attending college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities