Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,047 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I will first briefly explain my profile. Last year I finished my bachelor's degree in econometrics (*** Laude/With Distinction) at a university in the Netherlands and currently I am doing a Master of Science in econometrics. However, I am only 19 years old at the moment, as I started university at the age of 16 already. My grades are top-notch in my country, I did some banking internships and I am currently a student-assistant as well. Additionally, I practice a lot of sports, including golf and rowing albeit not on a national level.

The last couple of months I realized however, that I want to study mathematics, preferably at a respectable college in the USA (BU, BC, UCLA, JHU etc.). I want to do a bachelor's degree as my mathematical skills are fairly basic and also because I want to experience college life for 4 years.

My question is if you could tell me what my chances are, as this is really hard to assess as a foreigner. Besides, would I be eligible to apply for scholarships and/or financial aid as my parents are unable to finance this dream.

Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:21 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Welkom Nedellyzer...

You can certainly "experience" college life for 4 years, but you won't likely need 4 years of college to get a 2nd degree. Assuming that everything translates over you may only need 30-45 credit hours (1-1.5 year's worth) to get a BA in mathematics.

It is unlikely you will get a sports scholarship, and very unlikely you will get an academic scholarship, unless one of the colleges (or another organization) has one for Dutch nationals or someone that fits your profile.

Financial aid might be possible, but the challenge is that you'd need to establish yourself permanently in the US before you will qualify for US-based aid. I have no idea if you can get this same aid or something similar in the Netherlands. You would have better luck if you found a way to come over/get employed, get sponsored for permanent residency and then applied for aid. This could take 5-10 years with no guarantee of success. As I'm sure you realize US universities are very expensive when compared to Europe.

If you will take a recommendation, you have a BS. You should probably look to do a master's degree at a US college and then pay your way by being an assistant to a professor. This would take care of a suitable visa to enter the US, give you allowable compensation via a stipend (hopefully enough to live on, even if frugally) and also give you either a tuition allowance or free tuition to continue your education. This process is competitive so you would need to show why you're superior.

Others may have more (and better) answers. Veel geluk!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
As long as you pass pass the English test and have the money, you're chances of coming to the US are about 100%. You can pretty much forget about any financial aid or scholarships. A sports scholarship will be based on the sport, your skill, and the needs of the institution. Also, many college teams have zero or very few scholarship slots for a lot of their teams. As some wild ass numbers, a university might have 12 basketball scholarships, 8 football scholarships, 2 soccer scholarships, 1 tennis scholarship, and zero scholarships for the rest of the sports programs.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 PM

97 posts, read 152,438 times
As a white foreigner, you won't be eligible for any aid. However, if you were an illegal mexican, you would get a full ride, especially at UCLA, they love illegal mexicans there.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
As a white foreigner, you won't be eligible for any aid. However, if you were an illegal mexican, you would get a full ride, especially at UCLA, they love illegal mexicans there.
Which is kind of moot. If you're competent you'll get a full ride as well... white or not.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:27 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
This is a myth parroted by the woe is me crowd even though they make up the majority of the middle and upper class. I've had classmates who were white foreigners and attending on an assistantship, fellowship, or scholarship. However, they weren't working on a second bachelor's.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:40 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Generally speaking a 2nd bachelors is going to be out-of-pocket. Even if you could qualify for U.S. federal aid that aid would be loan-only.

Institutions, likewise, don't as a rule put any money into funding 2nd bac students. Your better course of action, in theory, would be to secure employment with your existing degree at an institution that provides free/cheap tuition for staff.

Hard to imagine you don't have better options to do this affordably within the EU, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities