Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
Which tells you how useless a BS in psychology is if you can't get any decent employment with it. Not everyone wants to go back and get a masters degree because people get tired of school. Now that I finally found decent employment in my field I am done with school. A masters in chemistry is waste of money if you already have a full time chemist position because you can advance and increase your salary through your company and job performance yet your only option with a BS in psych is to get a teaching certificate to teach high school social studies.
No it doesn't tell you how useless a BA in psychology is. All psychologists who have advanced degrees had to start out with a BA or BS in Psychology. Just because you hate grad school does not mean psychology is useless.

BTW pretty much all the states require teachers to get a masters degree, and I'm not sure a person with a BA in Psychology would have the credits to teach high school social studies (though this may vary from state to state).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:15 PM

320 posts, read 283,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, a "cardboard" degree. Many posts here detail the degrees like Art History, where there simply is not much demand for the skills learned, even if well learned, in the marketplace.

You simply don't see STEM and Business majors working fast food (unless as a manager, in the case of the business majors).
Humanities are worthless due to supply and demand. Not every idealistic youth can be the next president with a political science degree, Aristotle with a philosophy degree, or Weber with a sociology degree. STEM is valuable now but in 20 years it'll be on par with the humanities because now idealistic youths want to be the next Zuckerberg. As for business majors, its the most common undergrad degree, supply and demand anyone? Now that's some real irony for all these savvy businesses majors thinking they'll be the next Buffett.
Can't forget automation, you savvy STEM students

Old 11-17-2015, 06:14 AM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No it doesn't tell you how useless a BA in psychology is. All psychologists who have advanced degrees had to start out with a BA or BS in Psychology. Just because you hate grad school does not mean psychology is useless.

BTW pretty much all the states require teachers to get a masters degree, and I'm not sure a person with a BA in Psychology would have the credits to teach high school social studies (though this may vary from state to state).
Eventually they would have to go back and get their masters if they want to make more money but in Georgia the minimum requirement is just a bachelors degree in the appropriate subject and pass the appropriate GACE exam. About 60% of teachers in Georgia have a masters degree but the other 40% aren't required to go back and get their masters.

However, in your state (New York) they require all teachers to have a masters but that is not every state. To each it's own though. I wanted a degree where I could go to work immediately after my bachelors and most social science degrees require to get a masters to work in their respected field unless you go teach private or public school.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:05 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
My guess iwould be that while many college students do well academically, they fail to develop social skills. Read some of the threads on the non-romantic relationships forum where self-described 'introverts' regularly lament that they're expected to interact with people.

Another reason is that it seems that more young people would rather work crappy jobs in 'popuar' cities thn build careers if it means moving to some unfashionable place.
I'm glad I'm different in that regard. I would live anywhere for a job worth having. It is a new experience, new people, just overall interesting.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Eventually they would have to go back and get their masters if they want to make more money but in Georgia the minimum requirement is just a bachelors degree in the appropriate subject and pass the appropriate GACE exam. About 60% of teachers in Georgia have a masters degree but the other 40% aren't required to go back and get their masters.

However, in your state (New York) they require all teachers to have a masters but that is not every state. To each it's own though. I wanted a degree where I could go to work immediately after my bachelors and most social science degrees require to get a masters to work in their respected field unless you go teach private or public school.
One reason so many teachers in GA likely have masters is after being certified, you're still required to take a certain number of classes to renew or maintain certification. So many just go ahead and get their masters to be done with it.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:09 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
One reason so many teachers in GA likely have masters is after being certified, you're still required to take a certain number of classes to renew or maintain certification. So many just go ahead and get their masters to be done with it.
Or more likely, they don't get a raise of any substance without continuing education and get a fairly reasonable bump with a masters.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Or more likely, they don't get a raise of any substance without continuing education and get a fairly reasonable bump with a masters.
Very true.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:05 PM

547 posts, read 939,659 times
Always find these threads interesting.

As for me, I graduated college back in 2005 with a bachelors in history. Between the time I graduated to 2014, I did not have a decent paying job. I took odd jobs that were low paying making anywhere between 8-12 dollars an hour. In 2012 through 2014, I worked as a teacher's aide making 14,000 a year which is high school dropout money. I got certified to teach all four core subjects for grades 4-8 and had my first "real" job in the fall of 2014 making 45K a year and teaching 4th grade math and science. This year I'm teaching 6th grade reading and writing and making 49K at another school district.

Quite honestly during the time between 2005-2014, I applied to a lot of different jobs like office type jobs that either required a bachelors degree or preferred a bachelors degree. I had some interviews here and there, but I never got a decent paying job in all those year.

Not everyone who graduates college is able to get one of those decent paying jobs. For some people it takes a year or two. For others like me, it took close to a decade for something to pay off.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:25 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
Always find these threads interesting.

As for me, I graduated college back in 2005 with a bachelors in history. Between the time I graduated to 2014, I did not have a decent paying job. I took odd jobs that were low paying making anywhere between 8-12 dollars an hour. In 2012 through 2014, I worked as a teacher's aide making 14,000 a year which is high school dropout money. I got certified to teach all four core subjects for grades 4-8 and had my first "real" job in the fall of 2014 making 45K a year and teaching 4th grade math and science. This year I'm teaching 6th grade reading and writing and making 49K at another school district.

Quite honestly during the time between 2005-2014, I applied to a lot of different jobs like office type jobs that either required a bachelors degree or preferred a bachelors degree. I had some interviews here and there, but I never got a decent paying job in all those year.

Not everyone who graduates college is able to get one of those decent paying jobs. For some people it takes a year or two. For others like me, it took close to a decade for something to pay off.
Wow! You had persistence and perseverance. Good thing is you didn't give up despite how long it took you to get your first "real" decent professional job.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:49 PM

547 posts, read 939,659 times
Quote:
Wow! You had persistence and perseverance. Good thing is you didn't give up despite how long it took you to get your first "real" decent professional job.
You really don't want to know how far I was about to give up....Let's just say when you have gone that long after college without a decent paying job, you start to get the idea this is the only kind of money you're going to make and the types of jobs you'll ever be able to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities