Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 10:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

For some perspective, few people outside a specific portion of the eastern seaboard could tell you anything about which SUNY school is known for what, whether SUNY- Purchase has a good drama department, whatever. Regional familiarity and lack thereof once you leave the region is not something confined to small regional private schools, by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 02:30 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
This known as intolerance. You have to tolerate different accents.
I only have to tolerate accents that I can understand. I am paying for instruction in English. If I wanted to go to a foreign university, I would (my daughter did and it is a worthwhile experience - and cheap).

Old 11-16-2015, 02:42 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
This known as intolerance. You have to tolerate different accents.
No, it is not intolerance, not even close. If I'm paying $50,000/year or whatever to go to college, I should expect that the classes in a school in the US are taught in understandable English. If a grad student wants a stipend and thus teach, they should have understandable English, end of story.

Then there is the knowledge and teaching skill factor. Do you really think you are getting the same education in a class taught by a kid a year out of undergrad as you are being taught by a full professor???

Old 11-16-2015, 03:07 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
On average, students who attend private, non-profit colleges graduate with more debt than those who attend public colleges. It is that student's business if he or she can pay off these student loans. If they're in the media crying about how they have $100,000 in debt after graduating with a degree in art history from a liberal arts college and are asking for student loan forgiveness, then it becomes every taxpayer's business.

http://ticas.org/sites/default/files...nd_Sources.pdf

Old 11-16-2015, 04:09 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
On average, students who attend private, non-profit colleges graduate with more debt than those who attend public colleges. It is that student's business if he or she can pay off these student loans. If they're in the media crying about how they have $100,000 in debt after graduating with a degree in art history from a liberal arts college and are asking for student loan forgiveness, then it becomes every taxpayer's business.

http://ticas.org/sites/default/files...nd_Sources.pdf
The average private school graduate makes more money than the average public school grad so that small difference in student loan debt is negated in the first year of work

How Your College Choice Affects Your Career - NerdWallet

The only Art History major I know if was also from a family of mulit-millionares so she was able to choose a major of interest vs a major of need. She now heads up their family foundation and has never worked at McDonald's. She didn't have any student loan debt either.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
SUNY Purchase is actually well known for its drama department. Sarah Lasrence among Ivy League... Not quite.
Sarah Lawrence IS considered Ivy League, why the eye roll?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:59 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sarah Lawrence is not an Ivy. The Ivies are Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Cornell, Columbia, UPenn, Dartmouth and Brown.

It isn't even a "seven sister" school, though it is considered the same type of institution... A small liberal arts college that has some prestige attached. (For reference, the seven sisters are Barnard, Bryn Mawr, Wellesley, Mount Holyoke, Smith, and Vassar... I'm forgetting one but I know it's not Sarah Lawrence LOL).

Old 11-16-2015, 06:06 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
The average private school graduate makes more money than the average public school grad so that small difference in student loan debt is negated in the first year of work

How Your College Choice Affects Your Career - NerdWallet
This is for the 240 top-rated undergraduate programs, and there are thousands of schools in the U.S. This thread is about no-name schools. The stats I posted for student loan debt include all schools. My point is that it is not worth it to attend an expensive, no-name school. Of course, you're going to get better ROI at a highly-ranked school.

Quote:
The only Art History major I know if was also from a family of mulit-millionares so she was able to choose a major of interest vs a major of need. She now heads up their family foundation and has never worked at McDonald's. She didn't have any student loan debt either.
This is what you call an anecdotal story and an outlier.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:37 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sarah Lawrence sounds like a great school based off the things I looked up on it. But it's not considered Ivy League. Since the Ivy League is a D1 athletic conference Sarah L has a long way to go since they only play D3 sports. All Ivy's have a long tradition of playing D1 Football/Sports and it is a requirement to be invited into the League. USMA at West Point would be the only school I would say is considered to be even close to Ivy League. This is because they opted out of the Ivy many many moons ago but I'm sure the Ivy would still take them. But that won't happen, USMA would have to step down from FBS to FCS and that would ruin the Army Navy game or any other Service Academy game.

I know you meant the caliber of school so let's focus on that. 6 out of the 8 Ivy's are members of the AAU. The AAU is the who's who org for the leading research schools in the US. Sarah L isn't on the AAU members list. I'm not trying to say Sarah L is sucky or anything negative but when someone says a school is a Public Ivy or considered Ivy League I do think those phrases are a tad silly.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:17 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I went to a "no name" top 40 university that many in my exurban hometown had never heard of because they offered me more than my town's average income in merit scholarships (making it roughly equivalent in cost to going to UGA even factoring in cross-country flights), my scholarship covered studying abroad for 3 terms, I could easily have more than one major and minor (in fact, only having one of each is the exception rather than the rule), and I had a lot of individualized attention.

I don't know why personal attention from professors is seen as a bad thing - that actually meant significantly more work and pressure. I'd consider a class huge if it had more than 50 people, and most of my classes were 5-15. I didn't have just *one* professor who could give me a recommendation, I had dozens including two Pulitzer prize winners, a former high ranking government official who is a household name, and someone who wrote the textbooks my friends at other universities studied. Several of these professors were motivators to attend the college in general. Because departments were small, everyone knew each other's research and professional interests which helped inform curriculum and opportunities. For instance, myself and a handful of other students were really focusing on legal, cultural, and logistical issues with water rights in developing countries. At a big university, I could have gone to a professor and gotten some additional reading and maybe a conversation. At mine, we convened a monthly discussion group with professors from various departments and any student who wanted to join - and that led to a new course being developed. I celebrated my 5 year reunion last summer and I still get personal emails from professors with articles they think I would find interesting or job opportunities that combine my interests in college with what I do now (because, unfortunately, I was medically barred from the career I trained for shortly after college ended).

There is nowhere to hide in small classes. As an introvert who entered college really shy, I would not have gotten the training that I needed to advocate for my opinions in a concise, logical, professional way on the fly in a program that was made up of large (30+ people) lecture classes. By the end of college, I had many hours of debating points sitting around a conference table with my peers and professor. That, to me, was essential.

Everyone looks for different things - and the perception that private universities are nicer cracks me up. My friends who went to UGA had much better auxiliary facilities - dorms, gym, cafeteria, student shared spaces. Our labs and research centers, however, were cutting edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities