Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 2,778 times

Advertisements

I will be finishing school this fall with a biology major and my GPA is in the 2.0-2.5 range. That is not good enough for masters but I do have a choice to get accepted into this MBA program (not a well known one) on a conditional basis and my parents have said they will pay for it, they have also been pushing me into it by saying "MBAs are good".

Now I have also thought about working as a lab tech but they are highly against me working right out of college.

Their claim is that if I do good in a masters program, it will almost blank my undergrad GPA and create more opportunities for me in the future. Issue is, I have no idea on what I want to do with my life now.

Now my dad claims that once I am out of education (as in, if I reject this chance of an MBA), it will be extremely difficult if not impossible for me to get back in because my GPA is embarrassing.

I am thinking about this situation in two ways:

1. I start working after college and if I can find a job, that would make it easier to get future jobs that only care about whether or not I have had a job before. Maybe I can build a resume good enough to get into better Masters programs 5 years from now?

2. I get this MBA from a not so top tier university (still accredited though) and it helps me find better job opportunities for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 12:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
what makes you think you will do better in MBA? Why was your gpa so low to begin with? If you are just a poor student, it won't change just because you are getting a MBA...

also mba doesn't match biology well, kind of separate fields, why did you do biology if you didn't plan to work in it? Or why get mba if you want to get a biology job.

having a mba just to have one is pointless for you at point in life. If later on, you want to do it, then you can get in fairly easily, colleges seem to accept most people for it since people get masters to advance careers regularly. But what does it do to help you start career that you are hoping for? You don't even know what career field you want if you have no idea what you want to do in life...

don't throw money away just to stay in school, and if you are going, at least make it count and use it to advance your goals...

Old 11-27-2015, 09:23 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
Since you don't know what you want to do, you're wasting your time staying in school.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
For an MBA, get some work experience first.

For an MA/MS in biology, go right away.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanhattan View Post
I will be finishing school this fall with a biology major and my GPA is in the 2.0-2.5 range. That is not good enough for masters but I do have a choice to get accepted into this MBA program (not a well known one) on a conditional basis and my parents have said they will pay for it, they have also been pushing me into it by saying "MBAs are good".

Now I have also thought about working as a lab tech but they are highly against me working right out of college.

Their claim is that if I do good in a masters program, it will almost blank my undergrad GPA and create more opportunities for me in the future. Issue is, I have no idea on what I want to do with my life now.

Now my dad claims that once I am out of education (as in, if I reject this chance of an MBA), it will be extremely difficult if not impossible for me to get back in because my GPA is embarrassing.

1. I start working after college and if I can find a job, that would make it easier to get future jobs that only care about whether or not I have had a job before. Maybe I can build a resume good enough to get into better Masters programs 5 years from now?

2. I get this MBA from a not so top tier university (still accredited though) and it helps me find better job opportunities for the future.
Your parents claim that if you do well in a masters program it will make up for your poor undergrad GPA. That is undoubtedly true. However, the question I pose to you is what do you plan to do differently in an MBA program than you did in your undergrad program? If the answer is nothing, there is no reason to think you will do better in the MBA program than the undergrad program.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:50 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
I agree with several posters. Getting an underwhelming BA in biology and then going straight through an MBA with no real desire to get that degree and not a lot of motivation (at this point) to use it seems like a recipe for wasted time and money. I think getting a job, figuring out where your passion is, and learning how to work hard and make things happen is your best bet for a successful future.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanhattan View Post

You don't know if you're resume will be built up sufficiently in order to get into a good master's program. These days the qualify of jobs available to people with just a BA frankly sucks.

I think if your parents are paying for it, GO and GET this MBA. You're conditionally in. So many people can't continue their education due to LACK of RESOURCES. You don't need to know what you're going to do with your life. This MBA will open up more doors for you than just a bachelor's. If later in life you need another graduate degree, deal with that then. Just make sure you do well in the MBA program.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:14 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,119,500 times
What exactly is your end game after all of your schooling? Do you need the Master's? What do you want to do with your degree?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:26 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,429 times
Get a job and save the money. Most employers aren’t going to ask about GPA. So if you’re getting an MBA to improve your desirability as a job candidate, you’re doing it for no reason. In some ways, it’ll hurt your chances because it looks like you don’t know what you want to do.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:08 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
What do you want to do? Field research in biology? Lab? Salesman for a pharmaceutical? If you don't know what you want to do, all choices are equally bad. So rather than ask if you should go for this MBA, let's discuss instead what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities