Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 959 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical situation.

Say you majored in something like physics, chemistry, or the majors that are considered hard majors but you completely messed up your GPA in the process and came out with something in the low to mid 2s.

Now a few years after getting your degree, you realized that you just aren't meant for the sciences but went in because of family pressure (aka immigrant parents) and other reasons. The truth is, you're just awful at labs and science stuff but deep inside you is a guy who can ace economics and finance classes.

If you can show them that you are a 4.0 student in classes relevant to law (philosophy maybe?) or business (finance and economics?) and can do well on the standardized tests, will they consider giving you a chance then?

Would they perhaps see that you are just not cut out to be a scientist or doctor but you might have some talent for the business and legal world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:24 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,411,657 times
In law school, no. They go strictly by the numbers on the LSAT and undergraduate GPA. Even if they claim that they look at the "total person", they only go by the numbers. Get a 170 on the LSAT, and they may give you a chance. Also helps if you are a member of a minority group or a woman.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:36 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,130,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendaman2 View Post
Hypothetical situation.

Say you majored in something like physics, chemistry, or the majors that are considered hard majors but you completely messed up your GPA in the process and came out with something in the low to mid 2s.

Now a few years after getting your degree, you realized that you just aren't meant for the sciences but went in because of family pressure (aka immigrant parents) and other reasons. The truth is, you're just awful at labs and science stuff but deep inside you is a guy who can ace economics and finance classes.

If you can show them that you are a 4.0 student in classes relevant to law (philosophy maybe?) or business (finance and economics?) and can do well on the standardized tests, will they consider giving you a chance then?

Would they perhaps see that you are just not cut out to be a scientist or doctor but you might have some talent for the business and legal world?
A very good argument for choosing a major based on actual aptitude and interests!

If you are interested in Law School study to get a high LSat score. You could also go back to school for another bachelor's Degree, or get a Masters in a field you have an aptitude for and interest in. Then apply to Law School. And don't choose a Law Scholl based solely on Name recognition. Law Schools and Reputation (same with busuness schools).

Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,769,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
You could also go back to school for another bachelor's Degree, or get a Masters in a field you have an aptitude for and interest in. Then apply to Law School. And don't choose a Law Scholl based solely on Name recognition. Law Schools and Reputation (same with busuness schools).

Not for law school. Only the first bachelor's counts for admission purposes. And you pick a law school based on job prospects, which is in large part tied to rank and name recognition.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:55 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,689,904 times
From what I read, law school applications are way down lately. So, if you can do really really well on the LSAT, then you might stand a chance. And having a great GMAT score would surely help a bit getting in to a good MBA school.

For what it's worth, I think it might be easier to do well on the GMAT test than on the LSAT. Or at least that was the case back when I took them. I never tried applying to a business school, though. A mistake on my part.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:24 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,559,479 times
I think business schools are interested in putting together a diverse and accomplished cohort. They don't want a homogenous class of high-GMAT, businesses undergrad, i-bankers, and would prefer to have a good mix of backgrounds. Learning from your classmates and networking are two important aspects of b-school, and having a diverse class is key.

That being said, almost everyone applying to top schools will have strong standardized scores, so you would need something else to stand out. For example, successful serial entrepreneurship, unique military experience or some other exemplary leadership role would indicate that you would be able to provide insights and contributions beyond what the typical MBA candidate would.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:32 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,821,266 times
It's going to be hard for Tier 1 schools, simply because they have no shortage of folks from STEM majors applying with good GPAs and strong LSAT or GMAT scores. And that includes women and minorities, as referenced above. Even the "low scoring" students will have a 3 something GPA in a respected discipline.

Your only shot at the top schools would be INCREDIBLE work accomplishments at a top company and a near perfect GMAT (for business schools). Not sure what you can do for top law schools, I would talk to someone in one of their admissions offices.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:48 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,526,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendaman2 View Post
Hypothetical situation.

You keep asking this question in different ways. You are going to have to live with your GPA, and it is going to hurt you in either MBA or JD admissions. Only go to law school if you really want to be a lawyer. And you get significant merit aid and attend a regional flagship. Law school admission is almost entirely a numbers game, and the important numbers are GPA and LSAT. You should not go to business school without some work experience.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:33 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,121,461 times
You can easily get into law school or business school. It just won't be a Tier 1.

Basically what you are asking is "I have a very low college GPA and I f@cked up going to medical school. Can I still get a graduate degree that will propel me into a career that will earn me automatic big bucks?"

Your perception of the way the working world works is off. People do not pay you for your degrees. They pay you for how much money you can make them. It took me many, many years to realize this, but I will share it with you free of charge.

Take some time off and figure out what you REALLY want to do.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:48 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,049,315 times
For an MBA, it will be difficult. They look at rigor and grades. It's very competitive for top tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities