Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:21 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,707,491 times

Advertisements

Tulane
Boston College
Cornell
Penn
NYU
Duke
and many other have released their decisions for students who have applied "early decision"....and the numbers have been low. They have not admitted many qualified students this year. Anyone know why the lower acceptance rates? ugghh .. Kids who have like a 3.8 and a 35 on the ACT have been getting deferred from Tulane.... I mean, no offense, Tulane, but who do u think u are? lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:18 AM

674 posts, read 612,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Tulane
Boston College
Cornell
Penn
NYU
Duke
and many other have released their decisions for students who have applied "early decision"....and the numbers have been low. They have not admitted many qualified students this year. Anyone know why the lower acceptance rates? ugghh .. Kids who have like a 3.8 and a 35 on the ACT have been getting deferred from Tulane.... I mean, no offense, Tulane, but who do u think u are? lol.
Tulane is a pretty good school, and a 3.8 high school GPA isn't very impressive when you apply to someplace in the top 50. A 3.8 will hurt you when you apply to the top 25.

Test scores and GPA have never been everything, either. I know my alma mater rejects about half of all applications from kids with ACT scores over 34, and it was that way even when I applied, back when admissions standards were slightly lower.

Acceptance numbers have been down everywhere for a while, so it might not just be for early decision applications. This probably reflects rising numbers of applicants, including more students who fall into the pool of top candidates. This is part of why there are more schools that I'd consider top tier than there used to be. The Ivy League isn't getting bigger, but there are more and more Ivy-quality students, and they have to go somewhere.

Are online applications a thing yet? If so, those probably don't help if they lead to students submitting more applications than they used to. If I had a kid about to finish high school right now, I'd scrape together the money for her to apply to the majority of the top 25 schools (especially those in California), just to make sure she gets into at least one of them. If she got accepted to Caltech, great. If not, she'd end up going someplace just as good, even if that school wouldn't have been considered as nice just 25 years ago (e.g., Vandy or Washington-St. Louis).

Old 12-17-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Tulane is a pretty good school, and a 3.8 high school GPA isn't very impressive when you apply to someplace in the top 50. A 3.8 will hurt you when you apply to the top 25.

Test scores and GPA have never been everything, either. I know my alma mater rejects about half of all applications from kids with ACT scores over 34, and it was that way even when I applied, back when admissions standards were slightly lower.

Acceptance numbers have been down everywhere for a while, so it might not just be for early decision applications. This probably reflects rising numbers of applicants, including more students who fall into the pool of top candidates. This is part of why there are more schools that I'd consider top tier than there used to be. The Ivy League isn't getting bigger, but there are more and more Ivy-quality students, and they have to go somewhere.

Are online applications a thing yet? If so, those probably don't help if they lead to students submitting more applications than they used to. If I had a kid about to finish high school right now, I'd scrape together the money for her to apply to the majority of the top 25 schools (especially those in California), just to make sure she gets into at least one of them. If she got accepted to Caltech, great. If not, she'd end up going someplace just as good, even if that school wouldn't have been considered as nice just 25 years ago (e.g., Vandy or Washington-St. Louis).
Online apps have been a thing for over 10 years now.
Obviously, u must really have your finger on the pulse of college admissions trends ..lol. jk. You don't.

a 3.8 unweighted GPA and a 35 is certainly Tulane material, especially considering if the student is a 1st gen low-income underrepresented person of color.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:36 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,870,863 times
Wondering if these schools (and many others) are being over-loaded with applications, now that there is a common application.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:11 PM

13 posts, read 11,349 times
Quote:
Online apps have been a thing for over 10 years now.
Obviously, u must really have your finger on the pulse of college admissions trends ..lol. jk. You don't.

a 3.8 unweighted GPA and a 35 is certainly Tulane material, especially considering if the student is a 1st gen low-income underrepresented person of color.
Yes. A 3.8 unweighted 35 ACT is a really strong applicant for Tulane.

I had a 3.75 unweighted 1490 SAT and I got into WashU, Cornell, Chicago, Claremont, all the UCs and I didn't have any of those affirmative characteristics you're talking about.

That's about a decade ago, but I'm pretty sure things haven't gotten that bad.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAguru View Post
Yes. A 3.8 unweighted 35 ACT is a really strong applicant for Tulane.

I had a 3.75 unweighted 1490 SAT and I got into WashU, Cornell, Chicago, Claremont, all the UCs and I didn't have any of those affirmative characteristics you're talking about.

That's about a decade ago, but I'm pretty sure things haven't gotten that bad.
That 1490 was out of 16 or 24 hundred?

I know a student who was "deferred" from Tulane with those scores. Not ourright denied yet, but my goodness.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:12 PM

13 posts, read 11,349 times
Quote:
That 1490 was out of 16 or 24 hundred?

I know a student who was "deferred" from Tulane with those scores. Not ourright denied yet, but my goodness.
1600... I don't think the schools I mentioned would let someone with a 500 math/verbal score in...

Old 12-18-2015, 05:06 AM

11,652 posts, read 12,729,464 times
That 1600 demonstrates that it's been quite some time since you had to apply for college. Yes, things have gotten more competitive. A 1490 or it's equivalent with the modern score system would not get you admitted to Cornell without some special circumstances.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:30 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That 1600 demonstrates that it's been quite some time since you had to apply for college. Yes, things have gotten more competitive. A 1490 or it's equivalent with the modern score system would not get you admitted to Cornell without some special circumstances.
Things have gotten MUCH more competitive, especially with the number of international students applying to US universities. College costs also have made state schools more attractive to the better students, which in turn increases competition.

In our local high school, which is the top-ranked comprehensive public school in the state, the top 10% of 2015 included almost 50 kids, all of whom had GPAs of 4.2 or higher, with a class average ACT score of 25.6. That's just one school.

Some of them were wait-listed at the state university, while receiving full rides to public universities in other states.

Colleges have tweaked what they want their student-body profile to look like, and it makes the once-guaranteed admission process harder to predict.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:58 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
A quick look at college data shows Cornell SAT range to be roughly between 1330 and 1520 for the middle 50%. So the 1490 is dead in there score wise. I'm not sure that college admission is that much harder than in the past other than students are applying to a lot more colleges so it creates a numerical change that isn't real in the class room. But more importantly perhaps is the selection criteria, esp at the more elite and liberal arts colleges have become less open to scrutiny and more subjective. The determining factors in many cases seem to be "other" whatever that other happens to be that particular year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities