Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 11,080 times

Advertisements

Say you had a guy who went to college and graduated with a 2.0 GPA, no relevant internships or anything of the sort. He didn't major in finance or engineering either meaning that whatever he majored in, he would need a masters or professional school experience in order to break into a lucrative career.

So the guy graduates college with a 2.0 GPA or whatever is required for graduation. To help his cause some, lets say he went to a fairly relevant university (not Harvard or Yale but a respectable state university).

In the grand scheme of things, how screwed is he if he wants to actually get a job that pays more than 50k annually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 02:58 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,794,034 times
It's possiable.

Valets in Vegas make over $50k.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:42 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,308,373 times
Your hypothesis is false. Not having a degree in finance or engineering does not mean you must have a graduate degree in order to have a successful career.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:59 PM

50,902 posts, read 36,586,381 times
It totally depends on the job market and competition level for your field. If you were in a field with a big demand and not enough workers no issues at all, but if you are going to be competing with 25 or 50 others who did show initiative and desire to hone their skills as much as possible, your chances are lower.

What do you have to bring to the table others don't? What do you have to show for your passion for your field and competence in your work? you have to realize folks with internships have letters from people in the field attesting to their readiness to work, while you have only your transcript and your word that you are competent in the actual workplace (which is not reflected in grades IMO)

Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 6,798 times
You can certainly make over $50,000. It's all in how you sell yourself and how you position your major to fulfill a need.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:52 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,752,692 times
For a non-intern position, most employers don't give a s about grades. They mainly care about experience, skills, and if you can do the job.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:17 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,122,203 times
He wouldn't even get an interview at my company

Old 02-08-2016, 06:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,183,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxinLockin View Post
Say you had a guy who went to college and graduated with a 2.0 GPA, no relevant internships or anything of the sort. He didn't major in finance or engineering either meaning that whatever he majored in, he would need a masters or professional school experience in order to break into a lucrative career.

So the guy graduates college with a 2.0 GPA or whatever is required for graduation. To help his cause some, lets say he went to a fairly relevant university (not Harvard or Yale but a respectable state university).

In the grand scheme of things, how screwed is he if he wants to actually get a job that pays more than 50k annually?

I know several recent graduates from "respectable" Universities, with extensive internships and 3.2 and better overall grade points who are still working at retail stores or Starbucks. OTOH, I know a couple of people with a lot lower grade points and limited or no internships who have found great jobs.

The farther that you are away from college the less that your grade point will matter-----however, the reason that you received that grade point may matter. Was it because the person never studied & never applied themselves? Was it because they were less smart than everyone else? Was it because they were drunk or stoned all the time? Was it because of severe depression or health issues? Was it because they hated that field of study?

Frankly, I am not even sure that someone with a 2.0 can even graduate from a "respectable" state University. I know that most departments in the Universities in my area have a minimum grade point to get a degree listing that department (usually 3 or 3.2) but perhaps someone can get some type of general degree just indicating that they attended college and passed the minimum number of credits. Or, other colleges/Universities may be totally different.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,432,748 times
This depends 100% on the field and demand to fill positions. If you have a C degree in Finance youll be bagging groceries. If you have a C in some up and coming field that is in demand and where HR has a hard time filling roles youll be just fine.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,557,408 times
I've never had an employer ask for transcripts.

I wasn't an 'A' student in my liberal arts undergrad career at a respectable state university, but I'm doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities