Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,800 times

Advertisements

Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, rent - The Morning Call
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 01:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
This is sad. But school is ridiculously expensive now. I'm not 100% sure I blame them, or at least judge them (I wouldn't have done this, personally, but my result was: no education).

Old 05-31-2016, 04:28 PM

454 posts, read 311,045 times
Wow. SMH. Great. We're now basically pricing college so high that kids have to resort to basically prostitution. Sweet.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:39 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
I'd question how much research really went into this. In any case, it's not exactly 'new.'

Yes, the website "claims" to have x number of signups, but how many of those are people actually wanting to use the service vs. sign in to laugh at the service?

I find the 1.9 million highly unreliable as a gauge as that would be close to 1 in 5 women enrolled in higher ed.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:46 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is sad. But school is ridiculously expensive now. I'm not 100% sure I blame them, or at least judge them (I wouldn't have done this, personally, but my result was: no education).
Really?

You couldn't have gone to a juco for 2 years. Then gone part time for a while, while working? And maybe a few small loans? I did. It took extra years, but it was worth it and I maintained my dignity and self worth as a human.

The problem with someone prostituting themselves to find an easy way out creates a lot of issues.

Would I want someone working in my company who believes if they can't take the time to work to get a promotion, just finds someone to have sex with? What does this do to the management structure of a company? Or the morale of the workers who try and do things the right way?

Do I want a prostitute who doesn't value morals working with large amounts of cash? Or personal financial information?

The list could go on, but I'm sure you see the point. Selling yourself to some crusty pervert (who's probably married) just to make your life a little easier seems sleazy at best.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Really?

You couldn't have gone to a juco for 2 years. Then gone part time for a while, while working? And maybe a few small loans? I did. It took extra years, but it was worth it and I maintained my dignity and self worth as a human.

The problem with someone prostituting themselves to find an easy way out creates a lot of issues.

Would I want someone working in my company who believes if they can't take the time to work to get a promotion, just finds someone to have sex with? What does this do to the management structure of a company? Or the morale of the workers who try and do things the right way?

Do I want a prostitute who doesn't value morals working with large amounts of cash? Or personal financial information?

The list could go on, but I'm sure you see the point. Selling yourself to some crusty pervert (who's probably married) just to make your life a little easier seems sleazy at best.
I could have, if I hadn't been charged (high) rent at my home from the age of 17 and if my parents didn't refuse to help in any way (ANY way) with school (or a car, or auto insurance, or health issues, or food...and so on, and so on), and if I weren't struggling with depression and abuse issues for years on top of working full-time just to pay my rent and feed myself, forget school or anything else, and extremely low confidence due to crippling test anxiety that dogged me my entire school career and, I felt at the time, all but guaranteed college failure (this really ultimately led to my choice to "put off" college for "a year" and then...another year), but that's a long story and a boring one. Ultimately, it was a choice, and I made it, but as to "could have," at the time it was really a matter of perception, and then I was a full-time working parent and the rest is history, to the present day where, coincidentally, I am signing up for some courses.

I'm glad you worked your way and got your education. I wouldn't put you down for that and would expect anyone with a degree of class not to thumb his/her nose at the next person's life of which said thumber knew nothing, but then again, maybe that explains things. For my part, I'm pleased for you, genuinely.

I have dignity, by the way. And I work very, very, very hard and have been published literally hundreds of times. As I said, I personally would not have taken the prostitution route (and obviously, did not). I am luckily very, very bright, very, very driven and have an extraordinarily high work ethic. These have taken me far.

I don't know how future employers will feel about this general subject, but I'm reasonably certain they won't be asking on the application, "How did you manage to attend college? A.) Part-time job, plus school. B.) Full-time job, plus school. C.) Student loans. D.) Paid by family. E.) Slept with a rich guy." "Oh my GOD, she chose E. Let's cross this one off the list." Seriously, you ask your female applicants whether they paid for their education by wh*ring? Interesting. I've not yet met the employer or prospective employer who did, but I suppose it takes all kind to make a world, etc.

As to wh*ring, dancing for dollars, and/or sugar daddies to get through school, these themselves are really nothing new either. They may be more prevalent now due to the high cost of education, but surely you're not surprised by this revelation? (Again, no, I personally wouldn't do it, but I don't know a single thing about the next woman's life, and because of this, I'm in no position to judge.)

Last edited by JerZ; 05-31-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 07:00 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times
This isn't exactly new, I guess just streamlined? Btw, many women already do some questionable things for grades. I've personally been a TA, and on certain days of class (e.g., exam day, last day of class), girls will all of a sudden show up to class sticking their chest out, even if it's 20 degrees outside. Many others try to flirt their way to good grades.

This is a bit of a different discussion than whoring yourself out for tuition money. But what do you expect when it costs so much money for tuition? Not to mention ridiculous rent costs in many cities. When my parents were growing up, they went to a state school for under $500/year tuition. Now you'd be paying minimum $10k/year, and minimum $20k/year out-of-state (you may live in a state with no decent schools). Go to a private school and it's more like $50k/year. When so many college graduates struggle to land even a $15/hour job, it's easy for us to sit back and judge these folks for not wanting to take on $50k or even $200k of debt.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-06-2016 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: changed wording to make it slightly less offensive

Old 06-01-2016, 06:16 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
If this doesn't speak to how horrendously expensive college I'm not sure what does. It's out of control.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:25 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOU812 View Post
Wow. SMH. Great. We're now basically pricing college so high that kids have to resort to basically prostitution. Sweet.
No one HAS to prostitute themselves to attend college....

Old 06-02-2016, 11:51 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
I'm sure some people who get their current (or former) employer to pay for their Masters degree might consider it prostitution (i.e., sleeping with the devil ...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities