Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 905 times

Advertisements

My sister called me last night and said that our parents don’t agree with her studying abroad. She wants to come and study Foreign Literature here in St. Petersburg. I feel bad for her because she really cried over the phone saying she really wants to study abroad for college.

We’re not necessarily rich but we’re also not dirt poor. My sister has her college fund set and I have a job her in St. Petersburg. I have a house and a wife that I met on a foreign dating event. Basically, I’m established here already and if she comes here, it won’t be a problem. The only reason why our parents don’t want her here is that it’s too far. They said one child on another continent is enough already.

How do I help my sister? Do I side with my parents and just convince my sister to study in the states? I need legit advice. Will really appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:04 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
If the daughter is relying on the parent's financial support, that is one thing.
If she is not, that is something very different.

So who is paying the bills?

Old 02-27-2018, 07:14 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
St. Petersburg, Russia, or St. Petersburg, Florida?

Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
It sounds like they are trying to control her.

I wanted to study abroad in college, but it wasn't affordable. I now regret not being able to do it. I still regret it and I'm in my 40s. I think your sister would be missing out on a wonderful opportunity and it's a shame her parents are being so controlling. They will have to adjust to her living away some day, as once she is out of college she can go wherever she wants. I don't have any specific advice but just wanted to offer my two cents.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:12 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
St. Petersburg, Russia, or St. Petersburg, Florida?
Russia.

OP, why doesn't she attend a US college that has study abroad programs under its auspices? Lots of schools have that. She'd have to learn a foreign language, then apply to one of the school's semester abroad programs, or year abroad. Your parents might be much more amenable to that.

Does your sister speak Russian? How could she study in St. Pete's without knowing the language? What exactly does she have in mind: getting a foreign degree, or simply doing a semester or a year abroad? A Russian degree would be cheap, compared to the US, but she would need to know college-level Russian, or close to it. While a semester or summer program in Russia would be set up for English speakers. There are some great programs in Germany, too.

More info needed.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:30 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother2641 View Post
My sister called me last night and said that our parents don’t agree with her studying abroad. She wants to come and study Foreign Literature here in St. Petersburg. I feel bad for her because she really cried over the phone saying she really wants to study abroad for college.

We’re not necessarily rich but we’re also not dirt poor. My sister has her college fund set and I have a job her in St. Petersburg. I have a house and a wife that I met on a foreign dating event. Basically, I’m established here already and if she comes here, it won’t be a problem. The only reason why our parents don’t want her here is that it’s too far. They said one child on another continent is enough already.

How do I help my sister? Do I side with my parents and just convince my sister to study in the states? I need legit advice. Will really appreciate your help.
Does you sister want to spend a semester or a year studying in Russia or does she want to spend all four years and get her degree from a foreign University? Will her classes be in Russian? Is she fluent in Russian? Will those classes count for a legitimate college degree? Has your sister thoroughly checked out the college/University where she wants to take classes?

My daughter spent one semester studying in Paris. All of her classes were in French but it was sponsored by her state side University so she had no problems getting all of the credits to count towards her degree. Some of the students had problems because they thought that they were "college level fluent" in French but they had trouble taking college courses all in French. It ended up being twice as expensive as we had anticipated. Now, I know that isn't always true with study abroad programs but it was what many of our friends discovered when their children studied abroad. In our daughter's case it was a great experience. She is now living and working in a French speaking country. Is your sister planning on using her (future) knowledge of the Russian language in her career?

Another thing to consider is if she will she have a "real college" experience living with her brother and his wife? Will she be able to hang out and do things with people her own age? Will your life style interfere with her studying and classes?

There are many, many questions that need to be answered before your sister makes a huge move like this.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:49 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If the daughter is relying on the parent's financial support, that is one thing.

This is the best answer here. Our daughter wanted to do a semester abroad from her very first day, but we simply could not afford it. It took all we had and some debt for her just to get her degree. Many of her friends from college and from high school did it so it was very painful to say no, but the money just wasn't there.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is the best answer here. Our daughter wanted to do a semester abroad from her very first day, but we simply could not afford it. It took all we had and some debt for her just to get her degree. Many of her friends from college and from high school did it so it was very painful to say no, but the money just wasn't there.
This and This! Done Deal!

Now, as others have suggested if OP's sister takes her initial college courses here with an appropriate and accredited college in Russia, try that with the folks as long as her college funds are 'set aside' already. They might consider that as a middle ground and everybody sort of gets what 'they want'. 'Give a little, take a little' can sometimes work out for everyone involved.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Ask your sister if she's willing to take on some debt for herself to do a study abroad program. That way the parents wouldn't be financing it, she could still go if she wanted to.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:57 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
What does your sister do in the summers, OP? Could she raise the money for a semester or year abroad herself, by working summers, and saving her money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities