Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:59 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveplane View Post
Okay, I didn't say they didn't provide any advantages for me. But those advantages pertain to things like my health(I'll probably live longer) as well as good morals to live by. And btw, the inheritance is not from my parents. It's from my great grandparents. Does that clear things up? So in terms of my health and what kind of person I am, my parents should totally get credit. But in terms of my accomplishments; well, I was the one who studied and worked hard at my extracurricular activities. Parents can't go into classrooms and take tests for their kids you know.
You just don't get it. So the inheritance came from your grandparents, it's still a hell of a lot more than many college students get.

You don't seem to have ANY understanding that you have benefited from the environment and lifestyle your parents raised you in.

I studied and took my own tests, but I'd be a fool to think that the private schools I went to, the extra tutoring available to me, the wealth of extra curricular activies I was able to participate in. That I didn't have to work and could focus on my grades and internships. That's all because of my parents.

You need a serious reality check. I'd love to see you tell your parents that other than keeping you healthy and giving you good morals your did everything else yourself without any help from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that if I continue to live with my parents, I'll be in the minority?
Nope, not at all what I said. Not even sure where you got that idea from.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:07 PM

27 posts, read 22,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
You just don't get it. So the inheritance came from your grandparents, it's still a hell of a lot more than many college students get.

You don't seem to have ANY understanding that you have benefited from the environment and lifestyle your parents raised you in.

I studied and took my own tests, but I'd be a fool to think that the private schools I went to, the extra tutoring available to me, the wealth of extra curricular activies I was able to participate in. That I didn't have to work and could focus on my grades and internships. That's all because of my parents.

You need a serious reality check. I'd love to see you tell your parents that other than keeping you healthy and giving you good morals your did everything else yourself without any help from them.
By the way, I plan to send my parents $100 a week once I'm into my career. If I do that for about 10 years, that will erase the fact that I had to rely on them in my adulthood.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
That I didn't have to work and could focus on my grades and internships.

Um, I work. I don't know where you got that idea from. I also donate my plasma, which saves lives. IMO it doesn't pay nearly as much as if should.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
You didn't do **** for that money and now you're going to go back to being financially taken care of by your parents.
Okay. I'll admit that I got the money before I earned it. However, as I said, I donate my blood and plasma on a regular which saves lives. That doesn't pay nearly as much as it should. So the money I've inherited is the money I earned in advance for donating my BODY PARTS to save other strangers. That's unfortunately the way the job market. People make a fortune for doing things like painting, making music, and telling jokes(none of which really help people physically) but people who go out of their way to save others don't make ****. Now do you understand?

Old 10-29-2016, 08:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Okay. I'll admit that I got the money before I earned it. However, as I said, I donate my blood and plasma on a regular which saves lives. That doesn't pay nearly as much as it should. So the money I've inherited is the money I earned in advance for donating my BODY PARTS to save other strangers. That's unfortunately the way the job market. People make a fortune for doing things like painting, making music, and telling jokes(none of which really help people physically) but people who go out of their way to save others don't make ****. Now do you understand?
Blood is not a body part. Your body replenishes itself. And you presumably aren't doing it to "save other strangers" (whatever your mystery major was, it wasn't English), but to make a quick and easy dollar.

Your inheritance is not some kind of advance on future earnings. It's not like you have to repay it if you aren't successful.

Give me a break.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-29-2016 at 08:39 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Um, I work. I don't know where you got that idea from. I also donate my plasma, which saves lives. IMO it doesn't pay nearly as much as if should.
I was talking about myself, that's why I used the word "I". . I was using myself as an example thinking it might help you have some perspective. It clearly didn't work.

Quote:
It's doesn't work that way. I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with an inheritance. I have a trust fund, it fully paid for my education but instead of saying it's not a big deal or I earned the money from donating plasma I own the fact that I'm lucky, I didn't have to pay for my education and I realize the significant impact that had on my life.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
By the way, I plan to send my parents $100 a week once I'm into my career. If I do that for about 10 years, that will erase the fact that I had to rely on them in my adulthood.
So you're thinking you're going to heed support amounting to $52,000 to supplement your income in order to get by.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:49 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,329 times
So what did you major in????

Old 10-29-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
So what did you major in????
I'd prefer to keep that confidential if you don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities