Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:44 AM

427 posts, read 440,687 times

Advertisements

If you choose not to enrol in this program where will you be in two years? Two years older without additional learning, possibly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 08:40 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
It's never too old to learn, however, how long do you really intend on working after you are 64? Yes, age discrimination is illegal, however, employers can certainly not hire you because they have found a more 'qualified" candidate....and there is no real definition of what qualified means, so to most potential employers, they want someone that will stick around more than 2 or 3 years or someone with 2 or 3 years of experience or more. Also, what is the cost of this program. Is it going to give you that much more money to pay for the degree in such a short time?

If you want to go back to school simply for learning for enjoyment, most 4 year schools (especially public schools) have "senior college" or other programs for very reduced credit costs that will allow you to get a degree for very little money or just take classes just because.
For everyone who is saying "Go for it!" I wonder if they recently needed to look for work, especially for an entry level job, in their 50s? Let alone at age 64.

I have had numerous friends pushed out of long term careers in their 50s & early 60s because they were "too old". I doubt if my former employer hires any new employee who is not in their 20s.

I recently spoke with an acquaintance who told me that at her large employer they only have 12 people who are over 55 years old. The bosses even have a derogatory nickname for the group (something like the Elderly Dozen) and there is constant pressure to get them to retire. She is 62 and is very happy doing her job and wants to continue working. BTW, I have seen her in action and she is also excellent at her job. The bosses just want the Elderly Dozen gone so that they can hire cheaper replacements just out of college.

Now, your new job may be very different but I would investigate it very carefully. It would be horrible to take money out of your retirement savings to pay for a two year degree, spend two years in school and then be unable to get a job in that field.

Now, it would be different if you were 42 or even 52, but 62 is IMHO, A LOT different.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-05-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-06-2016, 12:43 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
One is never to old.

I'm 68 and while I can retire today I'm still working full time and plan to work another... well... as long as I can be productive and useful I plan to work. Maybe 80?

I plan to go back for a couple AutoCad courses not for what some might think but something out of the norm and a little strange. I don't need any certificates, or even a grade for that matter, but what I do want to do is learn to write script for AutoCad Lite for my line of work. I have very specific reasons for wanting to do this so I will drive the instructor nuts because I have the feeling I won't want to learn what he is going to want to teach me.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
It's never too old to learn, however, how long do you really intend on working after you are 64? Yes, age discrimination is illegal, however, employers can certainly not hire you because they have found a more 'qualified" candidate
This ^^

I certainly wouldn't spend any money on it; attaining your new piece of paper won't be worth it if you only work 10 years, and that's assuming you actually do get more money, and assuming you'll still be working at 74.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities