Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, I know. But this the topic is about how kids are not ready for college, and the OP keeps repeating "after living at home for X years", so I discussed how living away from home is one challenges some kids struggle with; it's one way in which some aren't ready.
Ah, I get it. Thanks for the further explanation. Sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion about your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 03:50 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I agree most never l ran how to do laundry until college or at least regularly until college. Quality of school is regarding homework help, I never touched my kid de homework starting second grade, maybe even kindergarten. I have a kid about to graduate from college in 2017, so I'm not that far off from high school, it was only 4 years ago.
Why does the quality of a school matter with parenting choices. I would say that just the opposite happens, in higher pressure schools, parents are more likely to hover over children to make sure everything is done. I never said they did the homework for them, but I also doubt you never checked their homework, made sure it was done from kindergarten on...

Old 12-18-2016, 08:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
How do you know at age 18 what you want to do for the rest of your life?

In Europe, many people of that age take a year off to go backpacking around the world. It opens their eyes to new possibilities and gives them time to think.

I sure wish I could have done that. Unfortunately, if I had tried that in 1967, I would have been drafted.
In Europe, the decision of whether to go to college or not is made for the kid in about 5th-8th grade. We can't compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
I think this is laughable really. There's nothing wrong with going directly into the work force for a few years. I know plenty of people that did that and they turned out just fine.

If I would've went at 18 I would've flopped hard and been in debt with nothing to show. I'm going now and my employer will let me fill time when I'm off school and I already have properties paid off. Telling kids to follow a path because that's how your supposed to do it doesn't work for everyone.

My parents didn't fail - They just couldn't find a way to defeat my anxiety, years of working in construction and traveling all over North and South America helped me a lot. I'm prepared now.
The statistics say that students who start by age 20 are more likely to graduate. Life has a way of interfering with college-job that seems to pay well when you're 18, marriage (though not so many marry early these days), mortgage, maybe baby.
U.S. college dropouts rates: Explained in 4 charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He's 5 and he can clean and prepare simple food. He can also follow a schedule.

I swear, the wacko crap on here for the sake of sounding super righteous. So ready to be Jesus they don't bother to read the 2 lines prior to the response.

"Omg! What if they were raped after watching their parents murdered after being paralyzed by a blow dart accident??!!"

There's no rational conversation on here sometimes. Maybe that's why there are so many eighteen-year-olds who can't manage their time, their hygiene, their health, or anything else.
Are there? Do you have any data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Even 46 years ago, I needed to "start my sequence" of courses in my major as a second semester freshman to graduate in four years. Ditto, with my daughter who started college decades later. Our son, needed to start his course sequence as a first semester freshman if he wanted to get everything in on time.

So, if we had just taken random general education classes for two years we would have needed to add at least one year and maybe even two years to our college career.
Some collegiate nursing schools start the nursing courses freshman or sophomore year; some are set up that you take all your A&S courses first, but other than freshman comp and a few other courses that every student has to take, those courses are very specific, e.g. this chem class, this bio class, etc. That's the way it was when I started 49 years ago, and that's the way it is now.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Really? I have news for you. Most people cannot afford to send their kids away to attend university. I lived at home while attending college...twenty-five years ago. I am no less an adult for having done so. In fact, not having huge student loans to pay back facilitated my becoming independent, because I could actually afford to purchase a house of my own upon graduation.
True, neither did I. I couldn't afford it 35 years ago.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Why does the quality of a school matter with parenting choices. I would say that just the opposite happens, in higher pressure schools, parents are more likely to hover over children to make sure everything is done. I never said they did the homework for them, but I also doubt you never checked their homework, made sure it was done from kindergarten on...
I never did honestly. I was a busy mom, I had a career and so did my husband. I managed to put food on the table for them everyday, that's enough stress. I don't have the luxury to check after them. In fact, I remember a note from her kindergarten teacher to help youngest kid learn how to count to 100 at the end of the year, she needed to know that to pass on the next grade. Other parents gave their kids 6th grade math lesson even in kindergarten and my kid couldn't count. Not a horrible mother. Just thought, it's best to get that kid to grow up on her own pace and sure she did. By 3rd grade she caught up with everybody despite always being the bottom 5% in reading. By senior year, she was top 4 in math, according to her teacher, and graduated top 1% of her school as well as got top 1% SAT without expensive prepping.
Truth be told, the kid was born super premature, I was worried that she might not survived, let alone getting a C in school. Getting a C was a bonus.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Thanks for the laugh, I needed it. You're making some interesting leaps.
So basically you have no answer to any of my question. Got it.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 751 times
Because you have to have a well thought out plan in order to be successful in school. Otherwise you are just floundering around.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:16 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin0129 View Post
As far as not having to specialize until your junior year, depending on the program, this can be inaccurate.

For my major, Accounting, you have to take very specific pre-reqs starting in your sophomore year to be able to finish in the "traditional" four years. If you spend the entire first two years taking general education requirements it would take five years before you could finish based on the necessary progression of courses.

This is the case with many majors. There are about 30 credits that can be taken to fulfill most Gen Eds but beyond that specific programs do not just accept any class.

For the Business College you HAD to take a specific Poli Sci course to fulfill both your gen ed, and fulfill the pre req for the Tax class. Other classes could fulfill the Gen Ed credit, but would not fulfill your pre req for your upper level classes. This was the case with about 8 of my Gen Ed classes.
I don't know any college student that hasn't started taking classes in their major freshman year. Yes, there are gen eds they have to take, but that doesn't mean that is all they take freshman year/sophomore year. Add in the AP and DE credits most college bound kids take and often they don't have to take many of the gen eds either. Take a biology major, if they don't get Bio 100 (or whatever the college codes it at) freshman year, they are out of sequence from the first day and will either have to make up time taking classes in the summer or go an extra year. Often Bio 100 is a gen ed as well, but it is still a course in a major sequence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities