Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

'College thing'? Are you sure it is not really... Off to Elementary Summer Camp! (bags of toiletries and necessities)

WoW, this is an enlightening thread (and explains the total inept 'knowledge-of-responsibility' / practical 'How-To' of the (6) college hires we recently added... for $70k / yr and expected to manage $10m international budgets for overseas factories)

All but one are still driving their PARENT'S cars

I guess not too many kids these days get sent to Dairy Farm Boarding School at age 12 (with a single knapsack) and a SWIFT kick on the 'be'-hind. How many have been doing their 4-H project books and managing cash flows and production expenses? (Apparently very few).

By age 25, I had been caring for my parents for 7 yrs, and had 30 more yrs of that to go...

I don't recall my own kids asking for anything (financially or materially) after they left at age 18 (Had already been in college 3 yrs). Many of their peers (Homeschoolers) were running businesses with payroll and employees by age 16. I honestly cannot think of ANY (boys) who were allowed to drive parent's cars after age 16. (or who would have even asked to do so...) girls... sad. they had lots of crashes and 3 locals from our small youth group were killed in rural auto accidents (commuting during college / mtns / ice / dark steep.).

College saw mine grow up a lot! (buying furniture & appliances (from thrift stores) and buying houses / duplexes to rent to roommates, investing, developing and running businesses with classmates (raising funding and getting business loans and forming LLC's ). They quickly realized that employing others and building businesses and cash flows was far more 'wealth building' than working for wages and expecting to make a living. By Graduation they were really eager to GET out of the confinement of SCHOOL (i.e. a huge time sink and money pit (tuition and books) for them). Grad school was later funded by their investments and selling their companies for profit and taking a few yrs off to travel and go back to school on THEIR terms.

They (like me) are VERY disgusted with the quality of profs and informed(?) engaged (?) cohorts... College is currently NOT a very good value or experience in USA. It has been diluted to something even less than 'continuation of public HS' (tragic)). My kids are pursuing international schools for their next grad course work (as am I).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-22-2017 at 12:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
'College thing'? Are you sure it is not really... Off to Elementary Summer Camp! (bags of toiletries and necessities)

WoW, this is an enlightening thread (and explains the total inept 'knowledge-of-responsibility' / practical 'How-To' of the (6) college hires we recently added... for $70k / yr and expected to manage $10m international budgets for overseas factories)

Definitely about sending your kid off to his/her freshman year of college. Summer camp is a different animal, entirely.

Quote:
I guess not too many kids these days get sent to Dairy Farm Boarding School at age 12 (with a single knapsack) and a SWIFT kick on the 'be'-hind. How many have been doing their 4-H project books and managing cash flows and production expenses? (Apparently very few).
Never heard of a Dairy Farm Boarding School. Is it for "future dairy farmers" of the world? Doesn't sound very practical for the masses.

No one in my neck of the woods does 4-H these days. It does exist, but in the very rural parts of the state.

Quote:
I don't recall my own kids asking for anything (financially or materially) after they left at age 18 (Had already been in college 3 yrs). Many of their peers (Homeschoolers) were running businesses with payroll and employees by age 16. I honestly cannot think of ANY (boys) who were allowed to drive parent's cars after age 16. (or who would have even asked to do so...) girls... sad. they had lots of crashes and 3 locals from our small youth group were killed in rural auto accidents (commuting during college / mtns / ice / dark steep.).
You kids started college at the age of 15? So they graduated at 19/20?

Most don't.

Most kids also don't start their own businesses by age 16.

What were these businesses? How much could a 16 year old possibly make from their own business? Did they invent something? Mow lawns? Rake leaves? I'm intrigued!

Most kids are in school (not homeschooled) and spend a full day at school, have sports practice/games/clubs, etc. after school, walk in the door around 7pm, eat dinner (that they didn't have to kill and fix for themselves), shower, do their homework/study/get to bed.

Can't drive in my state until you are 17. My son drove/drives a car that is owned by us. He didn't have a summer job until he turned 17. He took summer classes (to get ahead) every summer up until then.

Quote:
College saw mine grow up a lot! (buying furniture & appliances (from thrift stores) and buying houses / duplexes to rent to roommates, investing, developing and running businesses with classmates (raising funding and getting business loans and forming LLC's ). They quickly realized that employing others and building businesses and cash flows was far more 'wealth building' than working for wages and expecting to make a living. By Graduation they were really eager to GET out of the confinement of SCHOOL (i.e. a huge time sink and money pit (tuition and books) for them). Grad school was later funded by their investments and selling their companies for profit and taking a few yrs off to travel and go back to school on THEIR terms.
What were their majors, that they had the time for this? They raised funding for what types of businesses?

That's not easy to do when you have no credit history and are a full time college student with a demanding major.

Quote:
They (like me) are VERY disgusted with the quality of profs and informed(?) engaged (?) cohorts... College is currently NOT a very good value or experience in USA. It has been diluted to something even less than 'continuation of public HS' (tragic)). My kids are pursuing international schools for their next grad course work (as am I).
I'm just curious, no snark: Why are your kids, who have been business savvy since they were 16 years old & have been making money/in business ventures with others/bought and sold real-estate/ know how to raise capital to start businesses... wasting their time pursuing (another) graduate degree in any country?

If they have the skills and the life experience that your 6 straight-out-of-college hires don't; because their parents made sure they went off to their first time of living away from home with pillows, blankets, hangers, laundry detergent, chip clips, etc., & let them drive their cars? What's the point?

Last edited by Informed Info; 09-22-2017 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nice that he's close enough that you can do that. We see our daughter about every two weeks or so, and we chat all the time using a group messaging app. Our oldest lives nearby, but we don't see him quite as often. We're close, but he's doing his own thing. It's funny how different children can be. Our youngest is still in high school, and I think he's enjoying his time as a pseudo-only child.

It really is nice to be under two hours away - especially when it's your first.

After this Oct. break, two weeks later it's "family weekend". We'll go up for a few hours on the Sat. of. The next time I'll see him, after that, is over Thanksgiving.

Funny how you get used to the change in the dynamics of the household so quickly.

I thought it would take a lot longer...

Old 09-23-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

Yes... MANY Dairy Farm boarding schools (usually for troubled youth, but helpful to ALL..). no 'sports' required... you are BUFF and TOUGH, and can learn discipline of getting up at 4:30am 7 days / week + deal with others and cranky cows too... homework... yes... AFTER daylight / evening milking and shower ~ 9pm - midnight. (NEVER had / needed a TV )

You kids started college at the age of 15? So they graduated at 19/20?
has worked for thousands in WA State since 1990...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start
What were these businesses? How much could a 16 year old possibly make from their own business? Did they invent something? Mow lawns? Rake leaves? I'm intrigued!

Ha... no raking leaves and mowing once over age 14,,,
Usually IT support and reselling high tech fueled most of our local Homeschool businesses, some were over $100k revenue / yr, usually passed down to siblings or friends.

Several eBay reselling ~ $30k - $50k / yr
Design drafting / CAD
Application Software for businesses
Map making and trip planning
yes... lots of inventing!!! (Farm kids HAVE to often INVENT, just to get the tractor home from the field)

Many were farmers / ranchers ~ $10k / yr income from livestock or custom farming services.
Today (20 yrs since Homeschool) the majority of those businesses are still running / employing Homeschoolers and their families.

What were their majors, that they had the time for this?
Finance and economics / international trade and legislation / law (no medical or engineering... kids seldom do what their parents did)
They raised funding for what types of businesses? Usually more real estate to rent to college kids. as mentioned... they built their own homes in while in Jr High, so had $100k equity by college (Good for kids to be industriously using their hands, minds, and energy during adolescence)
Several cohort friends linked together and started companies (*IT, + new product inventions + Real estate management + investment guidance + writing business plans (So ez now on-line)). They followed my lead and pursued a few US Patents)

I'm just curious, no snark: Why are your kids, who have been business savvy since they were 16 years old & have been making money/in business ventures with others/bought and sold real-estate/ know how to raise capital to start businesses... wasting their time pursuing (another) graduate degree in any country?

As with me... they LOVE college, so ... if you have enough dough, and someone else working for you earning your dough, why not take a couple yrs off and go back to school (for fun) I have done it 3x since I became 'career bound'/
As expressed by the posters in this forum... Most are 'conventional thinkers' / follow the crowd / expectations. Not us... think of the Posse poster with a dust cloud raised up by the fleeing bandits...
"You are either Making Dust, or EATING it..."
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cowbo...t-kerry-buxton

Old 09-23-2017, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

By age 25, I had been caring for my parents for 7 yrs, and had 30 more yrs of that to go...

The bold makes me glad I bookmarked this: https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats
Out of the top 25, 17 are in the US, the rest in the UK, Canada (1) and Switzerland (1).

Old 09-23-2017, 08:39 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Well the second set of sheets won't get used. LOL

Old 09-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The bold makes me glad I bookmarked this: https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats
Out of the top 25, 17 are in the US, the rest in the UK, Canada (1) and Switzerland (1).
Since I hire STEM for US / Asia / Europe and Canada operations.... I will gladly stick with those schools who are delivering results Even a few are in USA

Just possible that this survey is compiled and touted by those who make their wages through supporting academia institutions, much like this forum

Hopefully someone, somewhere measures "actual" contributions to growing jobs, employment, economy, technology, and the future of our world commerce. (That is silent in academia).

Look at the movers and shakers who have contributed jobs, commerce, and technology growth. Do some research on the value that their academic education led to their success...(not much).

(EDU) ... It's just another step in life (often with MAJOR time and money sunk for little gain / value. )

Fun, yes, learning is fun.
results / value... not so evident.

Stick with the fun and you won't be disappointed. (I.e. make learning fun and students will apply it OUT of the CLASSROOM!)

Back to packing for 'overnight camp' Let's have some fun!!.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:56 PM

Doesn't say much about the faith one has in their parenting skills if they don't know how else to do it any other way than to make their learn the hard way.

In the non-fiction section:

My kid's college had a bus trip (cost $5) to the city today (NYC).

He has made a lot of friends since we dropped him off...but two of them (also freshman), grew up in/are from the city & since they were left to their own devices (not a "tour" thing), he had a blast.

Spent most of the day in Chelsea, "did" the High Line - had a great time with the parents who met up with them for lunch (one set) and another for dinner.

Now he's back in his dorm, two states away from the city, and will be spending tomorrow studying - to keep up with his Bio major/pre-med track.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 AM

No one hires a child to do what you say these kids did.

Selling on eBay would be a 24/7 job .....to make $30-$50k a year.

I've sold on Ebay for a long time. I have an Ebay "store". To make that kind of cash as a teen? You'd have to be selling your mother's/sister's dirty underwear. Or worse.

Selling anything on eBay isn't exactly entrepreneurial, it's an online tag/garage/yard sale.

Anyone can and does.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:16 PM

59 posts, read 46,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
It was quite an event!

My son is in a basement room. I thought it would look like a "normal" room, just in the basement. Nope.

Pipes and shelves and low areas (highest ceiling height is 7') and a built in cabinet that is useless, but takes up space. This built in cabinet had no shelves, smelled just awful. Two small windows (large enough to get out of) and views of the shrubs planted in front of them. Asked for maintenance to take the shelf down (it had a pipe running/attached underneath it, to hang clothing? Don't know. But it ran the entire length of one wall. My husband took it down, maintenance took it away. He brought his drill b/c he had "stuff" to put together.

The move-in-volunteer upperclassmen were phenomenal. The group we had couldn't wait to get their hands on all of the "stuff" in the car. The funny thing was they asked "where is room #mysonsroom"? In the basement. "There are rooms in the BASEMENT?"

*Sigh*

Smells like one, too.

Roommate showed up with his parents (who were lovely & sweet folks) and apparently roommate didn't tell his parents that the room was where it was and had the ceiling height that it did (as well as a central light fixture their 6'8" kid hit his head on two minutes after showing up). Roommate was off - either a total introvert or high as a kite. He made no eye-contact with anyone, his mother spoke for him, it took him a bit to answer questions, didn't answer the question but spoke about something else that was said a few minutes previously. OK!

So anyway, my son has had a single since move-in day. Roommate's mom moved him in to another dorm. She was not happy about the basement room, at all.

We have already sent two packages - he forgot to pack his winter jacket (he can unzip the lining and use the shell as a raincoat/windbreaker) and a few other things. Like an umbrella & quarters for the laundry & I ended up taking home the hangers that you can hang multiple things on to save space and a few other things by accident.

I forgot to pack his winter jacket in the first package, so that was the reason for the second. Plus a letter from his youngest brother & some home-made choc chip/oatmeal cookies.

No vacuum in the basement room housekeeping closet, so I bought him a stick-vac. Amazoned it (new verb).

He loves his single (not sure if he will have a roommate this semester or next semester) and his room in the basement.

He's made a lot of friends, and is enjoying his classes. As long as he is happy, we are happy.

Today (Thurs) two of my good friends picked their freshmen sons up at the airport (one in NJ, one in NC). They just moved them in to the University of Miami a few short weekends ago. They are both wondering what is going to happen if the school gets hit hard and the students lose the first semester of the 2017-2018 school year - or longer. So basement rooms that smell a little musty aren't looking so bad (to me) any longer.

If you haven't done so already, get a moisture trap (like you use in storage units) to help with odor and possible moisture build up. Should keep his things from smelling musty too.

Last edited by ALA2009; 09-24-2017 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities