Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:12 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times

Advertisements

I have worked a variety of analytics jobs, but want to become more proficient in advanced statistical methods to expand my career opportunities higher up the corporate ladder.

Anyone have experiences to share on programs and job prospects? I am open to any and all programs, but would prefer those with some flexibility and no GRE requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 01:40 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
What are your current qualifications?

Old 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Not necessarily an Applied Stats program, but this seems like it meets your needs.

https://pe.gatech.edu/master-science...ence-analytics

Old 10-09-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
What are your current qualifications?
Gee whiz, I completely forgot about this thread. Didn’t think I got any responses.

Currently, I hold a Bachelor’s in Econ and PolySci from Michigan. I’ve worked in a variety of roles, but more recently, I’ve worked in senior analyst roles pertaining to financial data analytics and regulatory compliance. I want to delve deeper into the field of data analytics and data science because it interests me, as well as give myself opportunity to move up the ladder. I feel like I’ve hit the ceiling as far as career progression in this field goes.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Not necessarily an Applied Stats program, but this seems like it meets your needs.

https://pe.gatech.edu/master-science...ence-analytics
Thank you! This actually sounds very interesting. I’m pretty familiar with the edX platform as well, so that’s a plus.

Last edited by Left-handed; 10-09-2017 at 08:51 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Gee whiz, I completely forgot about this thread. Didn’t think I got any responses.

Currently, I hold a Bachelor’s in Econ and PolySci from Michigan. I’ve worked in a variety of roles, but more recently, I’ve worked in senior analyst roles pertaining to financial data analytics and regulatory compliance. I want to delve deeper into the field of data analytics and data science because it interests me, as well as give myself opportunity to move up the ladder. I feel like I’ve hit the ceiling as far as career progression in this field goes.
I am going to make a few assumptions here.

Econ/Poly Sci from Michigan--you are reasonably smart and engaging
Financial Analyst and Regulatory Compliance----you are reasonably business oriented

If you said nothing else, I would have said to try a Master's in Economics/Finance where you max out on econometrics courses.

You mentioned "advanced statistical methods." Unless your math skills are truly outstanding (linear algebra, probability theory, mathematical statistics, real analysis), I do not see a Master's in Stats as a possibility. But a Master's in Applied Economics would be a nice bridge for an Econ/PS major working in financial analytics.

You also stated, "I want to delve deeper into the field of data analytics and data science because it interests me, as well as give myself opportunity to move up the ladder. I feel like I’ve hit the ceiling as far as career progression in this field goes."

What do you mean by deeper? At the fullest depths in finance are PhDs in math and Statistics.

I think you need to explore what you mean. A Masters in Applied Stats is certainly possible, if you want to first upgrade your toolkit. If you are uninterested or unable, then a Masters in Applied Econ will be a decent upgrade without a major investment in retooling.

Good Luck!
S.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I am going to make a few assumptions here.

Econ/Poly Sci from Michigan--you are reasonably smart and engaging
Financial Analyst and Regulatory Compliance----you are reasonably business oriented

If you said nothing else, I would have said to try a Master's in Economics/Finance where you max out on econometrics courses.

You mentioned "advanced statistical methods." Unless your math skills are truly outstanding (linear algebra, probability theory, mathematical statistics, real analysis), I do not see a Master's in Stats as a possibility. But a Master's in Applied Economics would be a nice bridge for an Econ/PS major working in financial analytics.

You also stated, "I want to delve deeper into the field of data analytics and data science because it interests me, as well as give myself opportunity to move up the ladder. I feel like I’ve hit the ceiling as far as career progression in this field goes."

What do you mean by deeper? At the fullest depths in finance are PhDs in math and Statistics.

I think you need to explore what you mean. A Masters in Applied Stats is certainly possible, if you want to first upgrade your toolkit. If you are uninterested or unable, then a Masters in Applied Econ will be a decent upgrade without a major investment in retooling.

Good Luck!
S.
Thanks, Sandpointian. Admittedly, it's been awhile since I've taken math courses, but I've always done very well in them. I took a couple of Calc and Stats classes for my undergrad. Part of me wants to be challenged and to push myself. I want my job to be more heavily quantitative and numbers based, and less admin-y if that makes any sense. So I do realize that I will need some retooling, so to speak. But A) I am hoping that it won't be that significant of an effort because of my history with math, and B) I want to move more into that direction anyway (math/quant based).

Any suggestions for the retooling bit? I've been exploring some course very casually on sites like Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX. I've also thought about taking some courses at a community college, but obviously there is some cost that is associated with that. Any other (low cost) suggestions for building up that math/stats toolbox?

Also, I really liked the idea that mizzourah2006 suggested with the Analytics program run through Georgia Tech and edX. Any feelings for or against that? The price point, at under $10k, and being fully online is an excellent benefit to me.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Thanks, Sandpointian. Admittedly, it's been awhile since I've taken math courses, but I've always done very well in them. I took a couple of Calc and Stats classes for my undergrad. Part of me wants to be challenged and to push myself. I want my job to be more heavily quantitative and numbers based, and less admin-y if that makes any sense. So I do realize that I will need some retooling, so to speak. But A) I am hoping that it won't be that significant of an effort because of my history with math, and B) I want to move more into that direction anyway (math/quant based).

Any suggestions for the retooling bit? I've been exploring some course very casually on sites like Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX. I've also thought about taking some courses at a community college, but obviously there is some cost that is associated with that. Any other (low cost) suggestions for building up that math/stats toolbox?

Also, I really liked the idea that mizzourah2006 suggested with the Analytics program run through Georgia Tech and edX. Any feelings for or against that? The price point, at under $10k, and being fully online is an excellent benefit to me.
I think the question is just how deep you want to go. I think for on the job upgrades, EdX is great. But its signal do not as of yet translate to HR departments and recruiting.

Know that Calc to a Masters program in Statistics is equivalent to Algebra 1 to a high school. It is the very beginning. That you have aptitude is great. But know that to upgrade to the title of Statistician, you will need more than two years of math.

But being a data analyst does not have the strict requirements. I have come across very solid data analysts who would freak out with Calculus. Also, programming masters can often but together powerful numerical routines without tremendous depth in the math side of numerical methods.On this last point, being a SAS or MatLab master can be highly valued.

It should come down to goals, your personality, time to commit to this upgrade, just want you mean by upgrading or changing course, and of course, dinero. Are you building up a math/stats toolbox for yourself.work or are you trying to signal to the marketplace a different you.

You alone know the right answer. And there is no set path. the first step would be to do something through edX and see if in 2017/18, you get immediate feedback on your newly acquired skills.

For what it is worth, I have great respect for Georgia Tech and drool at the offerings on EdX.

Finally, I totally understand your desire to move in the direction you seek. If you are young and patient enough, I would do a thorough retooling. You'll be glad you did. If you are not, then I think you can still make a huge change with great results. The clearer your goals and expectations the easier.

Best, S.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Maybe an Actuary position (usually at an Insurance Company) would be of interest to you? There are actuary degrees(major is Actuary Science). Also some kind of test/certification as well.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I think the question is just how deep you want to go. I think for on the job upgrades, EdX is great. But its signal do not as of yet translate to HR departments and recruiting.

Know that Calc to a Masters program in Statistics is equivalent to Algebra 1 to a high school. It is the very beginning. That you have aptitude is great. But know that to upgrade to the title of Statistician, you will need more than two years of math.

But being a data analyst does not have the strict requirements. I have come across very solid data analysts who would freak out with Calculus. Also, programming masters can often but together powerful numerical routines without tremendous depth in the math side of numerical methods.On this last point, being a SAS or MatLab master can be highly valued.

It should come down to goals, your personality, time to commit to this upgrade, just want you mean by upgrading or changing course, and of course, dinero. Are you building up a math/stats toolbox for yourself.work or are you trying to signal to the marketplace a different you.

You alone know the right answer. And there is no set path. the first step would be to do something through edX and see if in 2017/18, you get immediate feedback on your newly acquired skills.

For what it is worth, I have great respect for Georgia Tech and drool at the offerings on EdX.

Finally, I totally understand your desire to move in the direction you seek. If you are young and patient enough, I would do a thorough retooling. You'll be glad you did. If you are not, then I think you can still make a huge change with great results. The clearer your goals and expectations the easier.

Best, S.
I greatly appreciate your input, Sandpointian. Top notch insights and advice here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities