Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 05:09 PM

8 posts, read 29,197 times

Advertisements

I have an Associate degree for general studies, I enjoyed almost all my classes and graduated with honors. I enjoy learning practical things, and while I am very creative, I still have a practical side, such as this: I like English, however, I have many friends unemployed with liberal arts degrees and I pursue writing on the side. I don't really like a lot of courses in the upper grad level, I've had 5, it's not that they are hard (I had a 3.6 with the classes I had), but they are boring and won't help me in the working world to actually learn something, namely a skill. I see so many of my peers with an impressive degree, with impressive debt unable to do many job functions.
I've worked many different jobs, namely-waitress, census bureau (temp), ups package handler, assistant case manager, teacher assistant, substitute teacher, cashier, aviation service manager, and a few other temp jobs. I currently substitute teach, volunteer spiritual services @ a local addiction rehabilitation center, and am an ex-atv racer. Sorry for the background but it helps when people give passive answers.
I would like to learn a skill to which I can have expertise (or close to it), and possibly open my own business. My dad was a mechanic for 30 years, later went on his own, retired, and is now a pastor. He was in small engines, which is really suffering right now (i'm still keeping tabs on the businesses).
My mom's family is more working class, while my dad's is all education oriented (dad was the black sheep lol). So at times I feel bi-polar in these regards. I've been told I'm smart enough to get my bachelors, but my heart's not in it. I'm not great in math, but I have passed College Algebra, by far the hardest class I've ever taken.

My attributes:

I like helping people, however, I'm not the nursing type, don't have the discipline for a Master's in Counseling (nor the desire).
I want to have a job I can feel good about, that can help people either directly or indirectly.
I LOVE to solve problems
Being able to use my hands.
Be mobile, possibly outside.
I know this is how I work, I enjoy fast paced jobs.
Do not really like factory work, too repetitive, enjoy variety.

Sorry for the long post, I've had a lot of issues with this and see this as an advisory post, to maybe refresh my thinking.

So, should I go for a Bachelors or an Applied Associates degree, please keep in mind, money is an issue and I have two community colleges closer than a university.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and concentration!

This is a real struggle for me.

Be blessed!

Kalli

Last edited by Kalli11; 02-01-2010 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 AM

536 posts, read 1,872,265 times
My sister is a construction manager. You need a bachelors degree but the math is not that hard, and most of the classes she took were more related to software for things like estimating etc.

She works ouside a lot, things are always changing, and she is always running around like the world is on fire, which normally it is in construction. Probably not the best field these days, but by the time you graduate you never know.

So that may cover your desire to work outside, problem solve, and be in a fast paced environment. I get worn out reading her emails about what she has to do day to day. She is never bored that's for sure, and she is always learning.

She started out in estimating and worked her way up. But at 34 she is extremely well paid, has a trailer on-site just for her, and run's the job site's on her own.

The tough part of your ideal job description is working outside and hands on, but also fast paced. If you want to get an engineering degree then I can come up with plenty more for you to consider

Maybe someone else can chime in.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 29,197 times
thanks, i would like to do engineering but i am not smart in math and even if somehow i could pass those classes, it would be with a tutor, therefore, no way i could do it on my own! Thanks for that advice, sounds like a fun job! I've been helping my dad do carpentry work and enjoy it, but like you said, the job market is eh. I'm considering HVAC, but unsure about a lot of it. Like, what type of eduation would I need, etc. I like being in a man's world, thanks to racing, and being around guys, i have a lot of trouble working in an office environment or in a school system-too much drama! I'm one of those, work and go home type of people. Thanks sike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities