Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times

Advertisements

Sorry for typos in my posts. Often, I'm typing fast and I miss a letter here or there in the spelling or type in the wrong letter. My text messages are even worse. Even when I preview and proof my posts, I don't alway see my own mispelled words and there is a time limit on being allowed to edit your posts on C-D.

It happens to everyone - I see mispelled words, run-on sentences, subject-verb non-agreement, past and present tense verbs used in the same sentence, and so forth in CD posts all the time, regardless of the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 05:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
I'm sure some do and some don't. It's not a requirement.

People can choose whatever school they want. It is not a reflection on the schools.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:27 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
In my experience, every time that I read a story in the news about a kid who got admitted to all the Ivys, or a family that had all 4 of their quadruplets accepted to Yale, it's always an AA kid. But you have found some who don't receive racial preferences in admissions, so you're right - there ARE some.

And if you check out the many threads on college confidential, you'll see how many asian kids write about not having gotten into a single highly competitive school, despite absolutely stellar records, and AA kids with borderline records getting accepted to many highly competitive schools.

Now would you like to respond to the racial preferences in admissions article from the NYT that I cited? Racial preferences in admission to highly selective colleges is no fairy tale - it's been the case for over two generations at this point. As regards AA kids, it tends to be applied to higher achieving kids of Jamaican or African immigrant families, not the descendants of those who were enslaved in the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/24/u...hich-ones.html

My point was that there ARE significant racial preferences being applied in admission to highly selective colleges. It's a fact, and should not be swept under the rug. When racial preferences are applied in admission to highly selective colleges or professional school, it leads others to question the qualifications of members of the group that benefited from racially preferential admission.
Ah. At first it was
Quote:
There is never a white or asian student who is admitted to every single Ivy
now we're changing the goalposts into something entirely different.

And *shrug* to your last point. It's also a well-documented fact that legacies, athletes, or students with other unique hooks receive preference when it comes to admission. You think the kid from North Dakota would have gotten into all 8 Ivy League schools if he were from a private prep school on the East Coast? Unlikely. Colleges love to be able to trot out that "we have students from all 50 states!" line, and North Dakota is often not represented.

It seems as though you are only bothered by preferential admissions when it comes to minorities getting spots; ask yourself why that is.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:34 PM

55 posts, read 45,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
title says it all.... is this a case of wanting the best for your child or what?
So I don't really understand your post but I'll answer the title question from my personal experience.

I grew up upper middle class and my parents wanted my sister and I to go to good schools but let us choose where we wanted to go.
They both graduated from the same top public ivy school and had great experiences, but wherever we wanted to go was good for them as long as we were happy and we were getting a solid education.

A lot of my cousins and family friends went to HBCUs - some by choice and some were pretty much forced to. I know one of my cousins was given the choice to go to any of the HBCUs but it had to be an HBCU. I honestly felt sorry for her. Not that she couldn't have a good experience at an HBCU but it's good to have a choice, you know?

One childhood family friend got into an ivy league school, I can't remember which because this was like a decade and a half ago, and his parents absolutely refused to let him go. He had to go to an HBCU, so he went off to one. Apparently he was so unhappy there he joined a gang of thugs and went on a cross country residential burglary spree. I think he's still in jail now.
I think that was his way of sticking it to his dad, but he just screwed himself.

Anyway, my sister and I didn't even consider an HBCU for a second. Never applied to one, just had no desire to go to one. Not my cup of tea.

But most of my cousins and family friends that went were extremely happy with their experiences and did well for themselves.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-28-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 07:08 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeUnderground View Post
They both graduated from the same top public ivy school ...
smirks.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:15 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
whats with the all the comparisons to the ivy conference universities ? i know they are highly regarded but are all 8 of them ranked higher than all hbcu's in every degree program ?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:18 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
The people I have known who were children of wealthy black African Americans went to Tuskeegee and other HBCU so they could immerse themselves in a full black experience that they had missed in the diverse world growing up. Then they went into their lives careers and felt stronger for knowing their roots.

Just those I knew...
Isn't the very idea of HBCU segregationist? We bussed schools to integrate them now we celebrate all-black schools?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Isn't the very idea of HBCU segregationist? We bussed schools to integrate them now we celebrate all-black schools?
Yeah - they were started because white schools refused to integrate. Imagine that.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They were created as a response to segregation.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:53 PM

601 posts, read 458,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I don't agree with the premise of this entire thread to be honest. Does anyone have any statistics backing up the OP's assertion? I went to an HBCU and the vast majority of my fellow students were very well off. Hell my girlfriend freshman year had a 635i that her parents bought her. I think that wealthy black parents have very good perceptions of Morehouse, Spelman, Hampton, Howard, and maybe a couple of other HBCUs, but I have no data to back this up - its purely anecdotal. But even now, years later, many of those same former HBCU students with means have zero issue planning to send their kids to an HBCU, because the experience is truly unique for a young black person in this country when compared to a PWI (I attended one of those for grad school).

The financial issues associated with most HBCUs are primarily borne because of lack of resources and often mismanagement, not because of a fundamental lack of wealthy students to support them. The issue is that these students, while wealthy by most people's standards, aren't generally coming from families with multi-generational, ridiculous wealth as you see with many kids that go through the Ivies. The endowments of HBCUs aren't where they should be because the black community as a whole still doesn't have the critical mass of wealth to be able to support the schools at the levels they need to continue to be competitive. Add that to a steady erosion in state and Federal funding for many schools and you see the perfect storm we have today.
As Klassyhk mentioned above, the highest tier of HBCU's are in a league of their own and attract many wealthy students. I'm familiar with several others though that leave much to be desired in various ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities