Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 02:26 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,607,154 times

Advertisements

I read an article today in the student newspaper at our local university. It was about students who worked their way through college. It interested me, as that's what I did at that school. The author was a freshman woman, who used the "she" pronoun when referring to a specific female student, but used the "they" pronoun when describing a male. I'm as liberal and progressive as they come, but I don't think I would last long as a student there today. If I demanded equal respect as a Caucasian male, the Thought Police would probably run me out. Have any others here experienced a similar change that's taken place at their beloved Universities, right in plain sight?

If this young journalist pursues a career in writing for newspapers, will she be welcomed and encouraged to continue this practice out in the real world or will she hit a brick wall and have to abandon all that nonsense to succeed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 05:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
Alternatively, it may bet that the person with the male-sounding name uses “they/their” as a preferred pronoun.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:06 AM

5,350 posts, read 3,233,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Alternatively, it may bet that the person with the male-sounding name uses “they/their” as a preferred pronoun.
Yes, agree. It took a few seconds to find the article (based on OP's location and the university around) and a quick Google search to find the subject of the article and one would assume that the they/them pronouns were chosen by the subject.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:07 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
My guess is that the author knew the male chose "they", or deferred to it as a neutral pronoun in order not to offend the male since she did not know how he identified.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:39 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,607,154 times
Well, in any case about the male student's choice about their/his own personal pronouns, my observation still is pertinent. In fact, if a male student preferred to be known as "they" or the writer, not knowing his preference, was afraid of offending him by calling him "he", my point about the "woke" generation still holds up.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:13 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Well, in any case about the male student's choice about their/his own personal pronouns, my observation still is pertinent. In fact, if a male student preferred to be known as "they" or the writer, not knowing his preference, was afraid of offending him by calling him "he", my point about the "woke" generation still holds up.
You are making a lot of assumptions. This article seems to talk about individuals who were actually interviewed. One would hope and expect that the journalist would ask about preferred pronouns during that conversation. Typically if someone prefers to go by “they/them” or some other pronoun, they would introduce themselves as such. “Hi, my name is John. My preferred pronouns are they/them.” It is really that easy.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:51 PM

7,252 posts, read 7,099,345 times
Quote:

How about you don't announce that you're too old to keep up?

It's not a 'woke' generation. It's one of respect, of not assuming that the way things have always been are the right way or the only way. It's the same as no longer using the 'n' word, or having separate bathrooms for blacks, or not letting women own property, sign contracts, or do things without their husbands permission.

It's called social progress, and you are being left behind.

Old 10-29-2021, 01:12 PM

102,243 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
OP, do you have an axe to grind? It kind of sounds that way. It's just a student newspaper. They're just kids. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't even small potatoes, it's more like breadcrumbs.

Now, global climate change causing myriad disasters across the globe (that governments, even ours, can't afford to deal with), political meltdowns in the two-party system, people getting into fistfights over Covid policy, cars and apartment buildings falling into sinkholes, rampant homelessness, all those things and more are definitely worth some hand-wringing and perhaps even axe-grinding, though problem-solving would be more constructive.

Pronouns, really??

Old 10-29-2021, 01:23 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,146,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, do you have an axe to grind? It kind of sounds that way. It's just a student newspaper. They're just kids. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't even small potatoes, it's more like breadcrumbs.

Now, global climate change causing myriad disasters across the globe (that governments, even ours, can't afford to deal with), political meltdowns in the two-party system, people getting into fistfights over Covid policy, cars and apartment buildings falling into sinkholes, rampant homelessness, all those things and more are definitely worth some hand-wringing and perhaps even axe-grinding, though problem-solving would be more constructive.

Pronouns, really??
Say it again Ruth! This is just another trifling nothing burger along with CRT designed to distract us from working on real problems, none bigger than global warming.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:18 PM

2,612 posts, read 934,099 times
Quote:
Perhaps the input of a white male going through this experience would be more valuable than someone who seems to be bothered by something that they arent even experiencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities