Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 04:51 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Only one solution. Suck it up Buttercup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 05:38 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
The title is exactly as it sounds. I am a junior at college, just moved back about a week ago. Classes are going great, and I love seeing my friends from here again. I do have some negative threads from last year if you look back at my history, but I do truly love where I go to school and enjoy the on and off campus life. For housing this year, my friend and I were supposed to get an apartment near campus (2 bedroom) but he wound up simply moving in with his dad who lives right around here anyway. My other friends already had formed living groups by that time, so I felt the best course of action was to try to get a single in a mainly sophomore dorm (better than living with a bunch of strangers I may not like). I love being on my own so far, but I just can't for the life of me get used to living in a small room again like I did freshman year. Last year, I lived in a suite-style dorm with a big bedroom, living room and kitchen, and while I didn't love my suitemates (they were all strangers), I loved having that huge space and feeling like I wasn't in a prison cell. My room isn't so small this year that I can't move around, but I admit it is smaller than I expected, and with no decorations up so far, it does feel like a prison cell with the cement walls. Additionally, I am on the ground floor, so I always keep the shades down since the main walkway is directly outside. I've been here 4 nights so far, but have taken around 2 or 3 hours to fall asleep each night because it feels so foreign. I lived in a small double freshman year, then the suite last year and my home during the breaks, so it's been about 16 months since I lived in such a small space. My parents and I did search for one bedroom apartments a block or two from campus this year, but couldn't find anything. I definitely have hit the jackpot not having a roommate, but I don't love the thought of living in this tiny room for the next 9 months, especially since my friends have either suites or more spacious apartments off campus. I love everything else about my college-I am just not entirely comfortable yet in a room this size and almost feel as if I am taking a step back (because of the downgrade in size from last year). How do you all suggest I get used to living in a small space again? My parents went through a lot of trouble getting me a single, and I don't want to seem ungrateful if I ask if we can look at apartments again for next semester, and I don't want to live at home either (too much traffic and my sister). I'm really not trying to be over dramatic, but I'm sure someone moving from a house to a studio in the working world would have a hard time too, metaphorically.
When I was a sophomore I had to stay in a dorm room with not enough space for three. So we had lofts - wooden frames (stilts) for the mattress and the desks underneath. It was cramped. A lot of guys didn't get along with roommates either: different study habits, party habits, womanizing, drinking, video games, etc. There was often a lack of synchronicity. As far as I am concerned, you have it made with no roommates. See Jason Biggs' character battle his roommates in "Loser" if you want to see a satire of what my dorm was like back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiE_eaKo8Y4

Old 08-31-2018, 06:06 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Toughen up a little? lol, goodness...
Yeah, puhleeeeeeeeeeeze, Louise! You got a single room, now get a life!

I went into a single in my sophomore year. It was wide enough for a single bed and a chest of drawers at one end, and the entrance door and a table for a desk at the other. There were big hooks on the doors for coats, and and a wooden rail opposite the bed with hooks for hanging other clothes.....one window with a great tree to look at.

I never looked back to a shared room again.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:15 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
It could be worse. Try being in a room with a guy who had constant flatulence and smelled like BO and cheap cologne. You are there to get an education, nothing more. If you feel claustrophobic go to the library or a park. You are making a big deal out of something very trivial.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:23 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
The title is exactly as it sounds. I am a junior at college, just moved back about a week ago. Classes are going great, and I love seeing my friends from here again. I do have some negative threads from last year if you look back at my history, but I do truly love where I go to school and enjoy the on and off campus life. For housing this year, my friend and I were supposed to get an apartment near campus (2 bedroom) but he wound up simply moving in with his dad who lives right around here anyway. My other friends already had formed living groups by that time, so I felt the best course of action was to try to get a single in a mainly sophomore dorm (better than living with a bunch of strangers I may not like). I love being on my own so far, but I just can't for the life of me get used to living in a small room again like I did freshman year. Last year, I lived in a suite-style dorm with a big bedroom, living room and kitchen, and while I didn't love my suitemates (they were all strangers), I loved having that huge space and feeling like I wasn't in a prison cell. My room isn't so small this year that I can't move around, but I admit it is smaller than I expected, and with no decorations up so far, it does feel like a prison cell with the cement walls. Additionally, I am on the ground floor, so I always keep the shades down since the main walkway is directly outside. I've been here 4 nights so far, but have taken around 2 or 3 hours to fall asleep each night because it feels so foreign. I lived in a small double freshman year, then the suite last year and my home during the breaks, so it's been about 16 months since I lived in such a small space. My parents and I did search for one bedroom apartments a block or two from campus this year, but couldn't find anything. I definitely have hit the jackpot not having a roommate, but I don't love the thought of living in this tiny room for the next 9 months, especially since my friends have either suites or more spacious apartments off campus. I love everything else about my college-I am just not entirely comfortable yet in a room this size and almost feel as if I am taking a step back (because of the downgrade in size from last year). How do you all suggest I get used to living in a small space again? My parents went through a lot of trouble getting me a single, and I don't want to seem ungrateful if I ask if we can look at apartments again for next semester, and I don't want to live at home either (too much traffic and my sister). I'm really not trying to be over dramatic, but I'm sure someone moving from a house to a studio in the working world would have a hard time too, metaphorically.
Keeping up with the Joneses -- College Edition

Sweetheart, you are in a single on campus with the entire college at your fingertips. Get out and enjoy it.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:50 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Toughen up a little? lol, goodness...
+1.

I'm pretty sure this OP has issues every year at school.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:15 AM

296 posts, read 265,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

I'm pretty sure this OP has issues every year at school.
There is a specific segment of the population, I don't have a name for them, who, as soon as they encounter the slightest bit of discomfort, turn all their energy to finding someone to relieve the discomfort. They don't try to lean toward the positive or develop skills to cope, they just want the world to fix it for them.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:25 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,705 times
You live in it for a couple of weeks. That's how - easy as that.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:54 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
You're a junior in college. Why aren't you writing in paragraphs yet???? Your posts are very difficult to read, due to the wall of text.

Find other places to study, so your room is mainly for sleeping. OP, you sound like you might have an anxiety disorder. You stress out a lot, sometimes over minor things. Have you ever visited the campus counseling center? Their services are free, you know. You should be discussing your problems there, not with strangers on the internet. They could evaluate you, and help you, if there are any unusual conditions present.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
OP, I hope you will take to heart Ruth4truth's wise post. I remember some of your other posts, as well. If you're having difficulty coping in this environment, I suspect you will have many problems on the job if you don't master some effective coping skills now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities