Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 10:43 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I'm really not sure honestly. Your average sized dorm room. I imagine some are bigger than mine and some smaller. It's too small for 2 beds though, if that helps you picture it. If I had a roommate, we could high five each other from our beds. I was spoiled by the suites last year and of course my house, so it's somewhat agitating to be in a small room again.
You're a junior in college and didn't have any/enough friends to get together with and pick housing that your tortured soul would be "good with"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
... I am a junior at college,...I didn't love my suitemates ... My parents went through a lot of trouble getting me a single, and I don't want to seem ungrateful ....
You are a Jr and in a dorm! ??? Why? (not required)

Buy a 4plex and rent out rooms
(Pays for your college tuition + your housing!, then (after you made all that money every month during college...) you SELL the joint for a profit and pay for a couple yrs traveling, or Grad school!)

Better yet (If you like to be alone).. Buy a 4 plex and rent out the rooms, & let the positive cash flows allow you to rent ANYWHERE in town (and later in Tahiti)

It is NOT a unique college housing plan (and a LOT cheaper for parents!)

Jr = age 20? Plenty of options!

I had to buy a home for my parents when I was age 19. They had lost everything and one became very sick and disabled. I cared for them for next 30+ yrs, and college had to go on HOLD until AFTER I was age 50.

Stuff happens.

If you insist on staying in the dorm...

Spend a LOT of time in the library / Student union, or get a night shift job and avoid the drama. You can catch a short nap before classes (Or during classes )

The job during college, (if in your career field) will put you well ahead of your peers when you need a J-O-B after graduation. Makes school a whole lot more interesting and applicable as well. And makes you a valuable contributor to relevant class 'content'. BTDT (as a Professor, as a student, as a parent...)

My kids had 4 plexes... (and jobs... GREAT jobs!!!)

Sorry for the bad news, BUT.... College is absolutely the EASIEST / less stressful / most freedom time in your life. Enjoy the few moments you have left in this delightful era.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:59 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Man, when I got a single dorm room my senior year I thought I was in heaven!

My girlfriend and I kept that place humming.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:11 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Man, when I got a single dorm room my senior year I thought I was in heaven!

My girlfriend and I kept that place humming.
"Humming" is an interesting use of the word.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:30 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Look at it as a positive instead of a negative. How can you use this to learn something new about yourself and to find new experiences?

You don't really need a large space to read, to reflect, to write, or to do a million things. If it gets to you sometimes, that's your signal to seek experiences outside of yourself and your personal space. Match the metaphorical to the physical, and add a new dimension to yourself.

In a more practical vein, it usually isn't good form to critique writing on an Internet forum, but for heaven's sake, what's with the lack of paragraphs? Especially when you present yourself as a third-year college student. Make it readable if you want responses.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:38 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
It's a college dorm room, they are small. You just have to adjust? You could be in a double room with an annoying roommate. I'd much rather have a smaller space to myself. Add some decorations to make it not as "blah".

There's alternatives, such as an apartment with roommates. Pick your poison.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:20 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
It's a college dorm room, they are small. You just have to adjust? You could be in a double room with an annoying roommate. I'd much rather have a smaller space to myself. Add some decorations to make it not as "blah".

There's alternatives, such as an apartment with roommates. Pick your poison.
Exactly. I get the feeling, that no matter the situation, the OP would be stressed out about something.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. I get the feeling, that no matter the situation, the OP would be stressed out about something.
Kid needs a year in the Army.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 PM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What's the square footage?
The OP is a molly coddlied baby. Yes she can live in the military

Old 09-08-2018, 07:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Get out of the room regularly, enjoy your college life. You'll get used to it. Throughout life you'll have the opportunity to move from better to worse, bigger to smaller, etc. etc. Within 6 years, my family of 5 (me, husband, three kids) moved from moved from 1500 sq ft to 900 sq ft to 3600 sq ft to 1200 sq ft. You just adjust and make things work. That's small potatoes, really.

And a single? In college? Sounds like a dream for so many. In college the number of roommates I had ranged from 1 to 4. You just make it work and save your energy for the big stuff in life.

For the record, I completely agree with using paragraphs. See how much easier it is to follow my post? Break it up for us, please. And do give serious thought to hitting your college counseling center if you haven't already. Often they have free or low cost counseling options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities