Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,059 times

Advertisements

Here is a list:

List of for-profit universities and colleges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not want to immediately degrade these schools, but they charge significantly higher than an accredited university. I personally had a terrible experience at one. Luckily, I withdrew and enrolled in a state university after nearly a year due to the lax teaching, terrible curriculum, and finding how worthless my degree would have been in the long run.

I want to know would you consider a for-profit school? Have you been to one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:50 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Nope, never have (BA, JD, MPH) and never would.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nope, never have (BA, JD, MPH) and never would.
I received (BA, MPA, MS) and if I stayed in that for-profit school I would be swimming in more debt and probably unemployed. I saw the writing on the wall and ran lol. Their degrees (for-profit school) wasn't even worth the paper they were printed on.

I think the for-profit school I briefly went to was still trying to contact me even after my second master's from an accredited state university. If I wanted to take some courses I will just go back to the accredited university or take a class at the local community college. Why would I want to spend 2 or 3x the price for lower quality?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:22 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Of course not.

Those schools exist solely to transfer money from the dumb and the gullible into their own pockets. Worthless degrees at high prices. What a waste.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Of course not.

Those schools exist solely to transfer money from the dumb and the gullible into their own pockets. Worthless degrees at high prices. What a waste.
Sadly, it is true.

There are many that would defend these degrees because that is what they have. It is like to tell them their degree is worthless and now be prepared for a life debt. Basically,"you got ripped off", hurts to hear.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:09 PM

229 posts, read 382,684 times
No, I wouldn't. Out of that list, I have only seen successful people from DeVry and Chamberlain (which is a subsidiary of DeVry).

Old 05-01-2015, 11:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
I would if there was a good program in a field that interested me. I'm not going to write off all for-profit schools forever.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:22 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
SVA is a for profit school, and a very good one.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:35 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
Here is a list:

List of for-profit universities and colleges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not want to immediately degrade these schools, but they charge significantly higher than an accredited university. I personally had a terrible experience at one. Luckily, I withdrew and enrolled in a state university after nearly a year due to the lax teaching, terrible curriculum, and finding how worthless my degree would have been in the long run.

I want to know would you consider a for-profit school? Have you been to one?
What is this supposed to mean? Accreditation has nothing to do with profit status. All of the well-known for-profits are accredited. There are non-profit colleges that are unaccredited. Some schools are unaccredited because they are in the process of obtaining accreditation (that is the case with a community college where I'm from), some religious schools remain unaccredited and are allowed to do so by state law, and others are unaccredited because they are diploma mills. Usually, in order to keep a state license to operate, a school needs to obtain accreditation within a certain period of time unless it has a religious exemption.

Generally, I would avoid for-profit colleges, but one of the cheapest regionally-accredited 4-year schools I've ever come across is for-profit. If I ever needed to check the box with an MBA, I would seriously consider that school. They charge just under $2,000 per 4-month period for graduate programs, and you get to work at your own pace. If you can finish in four months, then you'll have an MBA for $2,000. If you can finish in 8 months, then you'll have an MBA for $4,000. This type of program is no longer rare. Dozens of colleges, for-profit and non-profit, are starting competency-based programs that are typically cheaper than traditional programs.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:47 AM

186 posts, read 349,252 times
I will be attending American Public University starting in August for my Masters of Arts in Transportation and Logistics. I was a hard decision for me but I did a lot of research on the school and ultimately chose this school over my other choice which was North Dakota State University. APU won over for me was cause I can take one class at a time and still take 2 years versus at NDSU where I would have to take 4 classes at a time. As well the cost is manageable compared to other schools, I am assuming that cost for this school is so low because most of the student are military and have a strong relationship with all of the branches of the military. The cost is about $7100 a year for tuition. But this was my personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities