Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times

Advertisements

Wow. Thanks. Makes me feel old. My GPA was pretty crappy in HS but I went to a tough school where a curve meant giving a B for a 79.5% and 79% was a C. My 2.9 GPA was good for being dead bottom of the top third.

So we should not even bother with say generic Newsweek #30 or #35?

Interesting that a business degree is worth nothing nowadays unless it is Harvard or Yale. Makes me wonder what a communications, art or history degree is worth.

I am assuming we are paying most. We are "Jersey Poor" more than the national median but NJ costs kill us.

A 3.7 GPA is bottom half of the class now?

I know teachers are generally expected to get Masters.

As for all A's. She already does 2-3 hours homework a night. SAT prep is already figured in in some form. Great point tho.

Good point about the networking opportunities at the mega schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 10:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
White family so no affirmative action.
Contrary to popular belief, Black students and students of color earn their spots in colleges. There are Black, brown, etc students with good grades, good SAT scores, good activities, etc.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 AM

Private in rather unlikely. I like the idea of taking some 101 classes at county college in senior year for a head start.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:28 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Private in rather unlikely. I like the idea of taking some 101 classes at county college in senior year for a head start.
OK, that gives us a better idea on how to advise you. Take a look at your state schools, then. Also research which states your state may have reciprocal agreements with, tuition-wise, to broaden your student's options. Some state university systems have a reciprocal relationship with other states' university systems, so that students can attend out-of-state colleges with in-state tuition. The high school guidance counselor may have that info.

And yeah, a 3.8 GPA used to be very good, and would get you into places like UC Berkeley, if you were an in-state student.Times have changed drastically. Also suggest your student find some volunteer activities that might interest her. Your local hospital may have a youth volunteer program. There may be a local environmental organization she could volunteer for, or she could be a mid-term election volunteer for a political group. Universities like "well-rounded" applicants with some experience with community volunteering.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:31 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Just a thought about being a business major. Both my daughter and grandson graduated from Ohio State. Despite this, my younger grandson was wait listed at the Columbus campus because they have beaucoup business majors. He had a high *** with AP classes in high school.
Because he had no interest in a satellite campus, he chose to go to Cincinnati.

Your potential major will be a factor in what schools accept you.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
A business degree is not "worth nothing." I guess if you want Big Money, you need to go to Big Name Univ so you can get picked up by Big Business, but there are plenty of people out there making a living with a business degree from "State." The concept is the same with law school.

Graduate degrees for teachers are part of on-going professional development; they are not expected to walk in the door with a graduate degree.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
A business degree is not "worth nothing." I guess if you want Big Money, you need to go to Big Name Univ so you can get picked up by Big Business, but there are plenty of people out there making a living with a business degree from "State." The concept is the same with law school.

Graduate degrees for teachers are part of on-going professional development; they are not expected to walk in the door with a graduate degree.
This. All of it.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 AM

I want her happy. Her first idea now is teacher (has been land I think that will make her happy as in not hating to go to work every day. I know quite a few of the 95 to 99th percentile people. (Call them the 180 to 350K a year people) Not all of them are happy and for many 70 hours is a light week.

Thanks Ruth for the reciprocal info. NEVER even knew about that other than at county level. Our county does reciprocal with 1 in state county and two out of state neighboring counties.

Thanks for the info Joe, Turf3 seems to disagree but I can look further.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
For teaching, it doesn't have to be the "best" ranked school.

For the most part the salary schedule had nothing to do with the college name on the degree

As such, keep the cost of education low. Don't fear privates, but they will probably need to come with a strong aid package - your local publics are probably the best bet.

It doesn't appear NJ has much for reciprocity or an alliance with neighboring states for tuition discounts. Looks like the University of Maine will order in state tuition to qualifying NJ residents

Does she want to live in NJ or the nearby area? If so, the choice becomes easier - find a school that is cost effective, that has good student teacher placement and where she feels comfortable - if it is a small, not well known or ranked regional school that hits those marks then don't let ego push you away from a good fit

If she wants to live in a different state, she could start exploring schools in that area - in AZ we are hurting for teachers and the universities are losing students from their education programs ...... She could find a good deal it here and pretty much guaranteed work out of the gate (experience that may help find a job in a more saturated state later)

I'm not sure of the teacher work demand in NJ - I know that for my wife and get sister, MN was pretty limiting for new grads to find a full time teaching job

Business school the school will matter a bit more, but there is also greater earning potential - look into networking opportunities, internships/co-ops, see who shows up at the university job fair, what are the nearby industries, etc

Old 10-18-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
As such, keep the cost of education low. Don't fear privates, but they will probably need to come with a strong aid package - your local publics are probably the best bet.

It doesn't appear NJ has much for reciprocity or an alliance with neighboring states for tuition discounts. Looks like the University of Maine will order in state tuition to qualifying NJ residents
I was going to mention this. Some private schools offer a full-ride non-loan aid package to qualifying students. More universities are doing this, in response to the student loan crisis. I have no idea what their criteria are, for qualifying students, though. UPenn offers that, as to Harvard and Yale. You could take a look at Princeton. And btw, a degree in education doesn't limit someone to teaching. I know a former teacher, who got a job with the Educational Testing Service at Princeton, designing the SAT's and other standardized tests. He did have a graduate degree for that, though. Still, it's good to keep a variety of options in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities