Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 PM

85 posts, read 299,619 times

Advertisements

I have not been in college since 1998, except for 3 classes at a local CC 1 year ago. While I was in school in the late 90's I flat out partied & was not a good student. I actually have about 110 total credits, but my GPA is only about 2.3 & I had numerious W & F's that I re-took later to improve my GPA, again except a year ago for those 3 classes where I had a 3.75 GPA.

I can not find a school that I feel I can get into. All of them want 2.5 GPA's & that is based off ALL coursework taken so those F's count against my GPA lowering further. I was a Poly Sci student, but would like to finish a degree in either History or International Studies.

I thought that as an adult student I would be able to get into some schools that would realize some of us make mistakes in our youth in regards to our education. Yet I cant seem to find that school.

I am not even very picky about the school other than I was hoping for bigger public university with a decent reputation. Also I would like to keep it to schools w/ a cost of under 25K a year.

I am even willing to move almost anywhere in the country, sans really cold or remote(Montana, Wyoming, etc) areas. Anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic, South or Southeast would be best.

Can anyone give some hope & possibly point me in the direction of school that might be able to give someone a 2nd chance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,158,323 times
Why not take more classes at your community college to get your GPA up? Unfortunately many of the schools that have low GPA requirements are really bad. Have you tried talking to the public universities in your area or the folks at your community college?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 AM

361 posts, read 1,948,075 times
Definitely call the schools and talk to someone, and read Carole Fungaroli's "Traditional Degrees for Non Traditional Students". That will give you hope! Good luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times
I had the same problem a few years ago and I took classes at the local CC until my GPA came up to par. Then I got into a top notch university. You can do it, just have some faith in yourself and your ability to change. I'm thinking that they didn't count the F's--meaning that I just didn't get credit for them. I agree also with Katreese--make an appt and talk to someone who works at a university that you want to get into--a counselor or someone who can advise you on how to fix this and get into their university. I did that and have had many occasions to thank heavens that we live in a country where you can fix your past mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities