Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times

Advertisements

Depends upon your goals and the politics of getting the Ph.D. It can be grueling if your topic is not a popular one . . .
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,394,051 times
Unless you are getting PhD to become a professor and specialize in a specific area, I don't see much value in it. I think there is more value in getting multiple Master's degrees, particularly when you are trying to get into areas that require multiple knowledge/skill sets. For example... MBA + Master's in Healthcare Management... I like having multiple Master's degrees because it lets you move in different directions and when you live in uncertain times, it's nice to have that flexibility. Whereas, I know of people who have PhDs and still haven't found a university job.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM

228 posts, read 537,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Unless you are getting PhD to become a professor and specialize in a specific area, I don't see much value in it.
There's value in the right PhD.

With my PhD in chemical engineering, I can work at a wide variety of companies across the country and overseas. While I indeed "specialize" in an area (polymer science), my knowledge and experience is highly practical and useful in industry. My situation is not the exception--indeed, the vast majority of those who complete an engineering PhD go on to work in industry. This is also true to a much lesser extent with certain degrees in the hard sciences.

Starting pay with a PhD in my field is usually higher than what one would typically earn if they got a B.S. and worked four years or got an M.S. and worked two years. Even in the cases that this is not true, the opportunities for advancement are often better with a PhD.

Unlike most who enter into a masters program, virtually all PhD students in engineering and the hard sciences at reputable universities are covered by tuition scholarships and stipends (i.e., get paid) in exchange for doing their (thesis) research. Most can graduate without any debt, a big plus.

All that said, engineering represents only a fraction of PhDs earned. Moreover, some engineering degrees are more valuable than others--a top school and/or top advisor helps a lot. Not all face a rosy employment outlook.

Also, I do worry about the future value of a PhD even in practical fields like engineering. Despite what our politicians say, there seems to be a "glut" of science and engineering PhDs in the US which will only devalue the degree in the future. This is largely a product of the structure of academia and the practice of subsidizing PhDs that generates a (over)supply mostly invariant of actual economic demand, but that's another issue altogether...

Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
Also, I do worry about the future value of a PhD even in practical fields like engineering. Despite what our politicians say, there seems to be a "glut" of science and engineering PhDs in the US which will only devalue the degree in the future. This is largely a product of the structure of academia and the practice of subsidizing PhDs that generates a (over)supply mostly invariant of actual economic demand, but that's another issue altogether...
Engineering, in general, is one of the best fields at any degree level (BS, MS, PhD) because it has a very high barrier to entry (mathematical problem solving ability).

Interestingly, if you move one field over to another intellectually demanding but often less mathematically intense area (at least for biology and the life sciences and many areas of chemistry) there's a huge oversupply of people with PhDs. See:

The Real Science Gap | Smart Journalism. Real Solutions. Miller-McCune.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:05 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
I think as most have mentioned it depends. In certain fields it helps, in others not so much. For instance I/O Psychology is a field where having a PhD is definitely a benefit above a masters. There are certain firms that only want PhDs not to mention that getting a PhD is free whereas a masters would cost you 20-40k.

Starting pay in I/O with a masters is 56k and with a PhD is 83.5k according to SIOPs 2009 salary survey. So not only are you not in debt, but you also start on average making about 30k more.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 PM

545 posts, read 1,556,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
We recently made a decision to fire the current psychologist at my agency. I work with an early intervention program (we evaluate children age 0-3) for developmental disabilities. The psychologist is being replaced by a young intern (masters degree and certified but not a phd)! So as you can imagine, she's saving us lot's of money and will probably be doing twice the work. I'm seeing this trend more and more: the higher paid psychologists/psychiatrists are being let go from agency jobs and being replaced by lower-degreed professionals. Some of those professionals can perform just as well as the psychologists except they don't command a high salary.

What do you think of this trend?
People's don't do PhDs for money.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
You get to put PHD after you name and call yourself doctor!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
I think a PhD in the 'hard sciences' is valuable- but in the 'soft sciences', no. We've just hired an education PhD, and she is in a word: unbearable. Sadly, she has lots of textbook knowledge, but none of the real world skills needed to function in the workplace. She insists on being called 'Dr. Smith'...we just roll our eyes.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
They also serve you with a bigger smile at Taco Bell. I kid you not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
You get to put PHD after you name and call yourself doctor!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Does your workplace involve hard sciences? I'm not understanding your point. It sounds like you hate her attitude more than her "textbook knowledge."

I know how people with graduate degrees are. They are pompous terrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I think a PhD in the 'hard sciences' is valuable- but in the 'soft sciences', no. We've just hired an education PhD, and she is in a word: unbearable. Sadly, she has lots of textbook knowledge, but none of the real world skills needed to function in the workplace. She insists on being called 'Dr. Smith'...we just roll our eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities