Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 01:50 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,458 times

Advertisements

Firstly I am applying to PhD programs in both fields Environmental Policy (Environmental Studies dept.) and Environmental Social Science (Sociology dept.), though there is a good chance I may not attend either. However I was wondering if anyone has been in the same dillemma or work in the field that can discern if there is a difference discerning as in future potential. I understand both are strikingly similar as well as in research approach of arts and science, however my main concern is more along the lines of practicality as I am seeking to work in a political forum, more than teaching, although teaching is a possibility later down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
I would say go into policy. For one, having a higher degree through the environmental studies department is going to get you further than the sociology department. Also, policy is the real need of the future for environmental issues. I'm kind of going down a similar path as you and EVERY (and I do mean every) ecologist, EPA scientist, environmental engineer, and alternative energy professor has explicitly stated that there is a great need for a change of environmental policy in the national and international scene.

To me, environmental social science sounds sort of foo foo. This is coming from a social science student. :P Policy really opens doors for you in government, NGOs, nonprofits, consulting, and yes, even teaching.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks charolastra. I agree environment will be the next big thing, if not already and thus the two choices. Environmental Social Science may be better for the teaching path, I also majored in Social Science for my Masters but Environmental Policy should be the better choice for government and businesses. So what are you studying btw?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
I'm in undergrad triple majoring in Latin American studies, politics, and international relations with a dual focus on international environmental policy and poverty and inequality. Basically, I sort of created my own sustainable development track. It's not a major at my school yet but my range of majors and the courses I take with them really focus on sustainable development. Right now I'm at the School for Renewable Energy Science in Iceland for the summer and will be studying water rights and issues in Mexico next fall. I hope to go to grad school for energy policy (in which case I'd come back to RES) or water policy.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Interesting, that's a load of work it seems, good luck to you. I majored in U.S. History, Poli. Sci and Econ. in undergrad, was inclined to a "International Political Economy" major however a intermediatary step of choosing between Law School or a PhD led me to a Masters of Social Science in Restorative Justice, which I absolutely love, but as a Liberal Arts major regardless you almost ultimately always feel like a "jack of all trades, master of none". LOL! May I suggest you CSU-Fort Collins or CU-Boulder in my home state of Colorado, we are very eco-friendly and both schools are know for it's environmental studies and friendly people. Perhaps not as ambitious as Brandeis, but a very invigoratiing environment to study in nonetheless.

Last edited by RangerDuke08; 07-10-2008 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 12:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
I hope the future will bring the drilling of many oil wells. Environmental/geological studies will pay off big time!

Old 08-27-2018, 02:41 PM

11 posts, read 10,219 times
Any of the STEM related areas are good PERIOD. I earned my BA in History (with teaching cert) and a MS in Environmental Science. I teach history at a middle school and have taught at a high school previously. I also teach adjunct at a junior college near where I live. Both pay really well and I enjoy I have also debated pursuing a PhD in Env Sci so that I can move to a large university that is not to far from where I live. I have checked their openings and many positions require a PhD in Env Sci, Studies, or Management and the university seems to pay very well, offers good benefits, and the positions still appear to be tenure track.

Nothing against the humanities or even against the social sciences. But I would choose a STEM related major and pursue a STEM related career over any humanities and social science degree/field, etc. Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities