Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:24 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

I quoted the exact same thing in post 12. You'll notice that one of the things that makes a person independent is if they get married, which would have been the case with 2girlsand2boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Son is only 23 but has been financially independent now for 2 years. He finally qualified when he started grad school, we quit claiming him on our taxes (this was the biggy!), and he could PROVE that he was completely financially responsible for himself for 12 months. He even had to show proof in the way of canceled checks etc. He still must fill out the FAFSA for grad school, but we no longer have to submit our data. Being able to prove independence is the key I believe.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Son is only 23 but has been financially independent now for 2 years. He finally qualified when he started grad school, we quit claiming him on our taxes (this was the biggy!), and he could PROVE that he was completely financially responsible for himself for 12 months. He even had to show proof in the way of canceled checks etc. He still must fill out the FAFSA for grad school, but we no longer have to submit our data. Being able to prove independence is the key I believe.
he was going to grad school which automatically made him an independent student, so there was nothing to prove!

I gotten a dependency override when I was 18, and it wasn't easy at all. needed tons of paperwork from officials who could verify my situation, and I had to do this again when I went back to school when I was 23. the two schools I went to did the override, but one school I applied to didn't, so, had I gone there, I would have been considered a dependent sutdent

Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
A 21 year old that doesn't live with his parents and is claiming his own income taxes WOULDN'T be considered a dependent. A dependent means that they are DEPENDENT on their parents-- like still living at home and having their bills paid by mommy and daddy. My parents stopped claiming me when I was 20 and got married and moved out. You are only allowed to claim an adult child who doesn't claim themselves.
You are confusing dependent status for tax purposes with dependent status for financial aid purposes. They are totally independent of each other. It doesn't matter if you do or don't claim for example a 20 year old on your taxes. They can be supporting themselves completely and you not claiming them on your taxes and they STILL are considered a dependent student for financial aid. My daughter is 23 and providing most of her own support but she is considered a dependent student and cannot receive as much financial aid as an independent student would. Next year she will qualify for independent status because she'll be 24 by December 31st of next year. If she were married, had a child, or was in graduate school, she would qualify for independent status, but none of those apply.

Last edited by luzianne; 11-24-2008 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 838 times
My son will be 24 before December 30, 2015. He is a full time student, and does not work. I would like some input on this circumstance:

Feb. 2015 will show him as a dependent on my tax return. As he just will have turned 23. (the last year allowed)
Feb. 2015 he will complete FAFSA for the 2015-2016 school year as a independent (He'll be 24 before the end of 2015)

My question is, will Fafsa consider him independent, since he will be 24 in the award year, but the previous year's tax return he had been a dependent.

Please, no guesses. If you can site a source, that would be great. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities