Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:13 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times

Advertisements

Do some community colleges offer such a thing on-line? I would like to take an on-line class in business/finance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
Yes, ask your local CC. It is usually better to go locally that way you can meet with the teacher when ever having problems with online work.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Do some community colleges offer such a thing on-line? I would like to take an on-line class in business/finance.
I believe all of them in Illinois now do.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Yep - definitely offered in my area.

My daughter took an online community college course back in 2001.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,584 times
Yes. I just finished two last semester, and am taking another two this time as well as more evening classes. The CC has been pretty good as far as offering online and evening classes for those I need to take.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,251 times
that's a big 10-4... my local colleges have them

Old 01-21-2009, 04:28 PM

193 posts, read 812,544 times
Be sure to check out all the community colleges in your state, as their prices can really vary. Our main CC in New Mexico charges an extra $30 online course fee per credit, in addition to their tuition which isn't the cheapest in the state. By looking into all the colleges in state I was able to find the ones with the lowest online tuition (including fees) as well as the next cheapest which also has the best course load online (many CCs only offer a portion of their regular courses online, at least in NM). Also, some community colleges charge the same price for in state/out of district, as they do for out of state, where online tuition rates are concerned, so it also can be a good idea to take a course out of state, if the tuition and courses and quality end up being a better deal.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 AM

440 posts, read 1,682,058 times
I'm taking online classes/Distance Learning, and I love it!

This is my second semester taking online courses, and I find them much easier than traditional on-campus courses. My biggest reasoning is I can study around my schedule, saves gas $$$ and wear on my vehicle, I can literally go anywhere in the world with my laptop & internet connection, and I don't have to deal with the petty b.s.'ers who dont really want to be there.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:09 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
As a trained on-line facilitator/instructor please make sure that you can handle an on-line course. If you need face to face feedback and classroom interaction an on-line class may not be for you. It takes a good base of time management skills and ability to work alone, or interactively on-line, to be effective.
Had I not been ordered into the training, to enhance my school's AP offerings, I would have withdrawn from the training after the first session.

Distance learning via interactive TV is a different animal but it also has drawbacks.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As a trained on-line facilitator/instructor please make sure that you can handle an on-line course. If you need face to face feedback and classroom interaction an on-line class may not be for you. It takes a good base of time management skills and ability to work alone, or interactively on-line, to be effective.
Had I not been ordered into the training, to enhance my school's AP offerings, I would have withdrawn from the training after the first session.

Distance learning via interactive TV is a different animal but it also has drawbacks.
I agree there are some classes I prefer to take in person. I took some GE classes online, and worked out great. The math and science I'm taking in person so I can get help if I don't understand something. I did love the freedom to do the work whenever convenient though. It's a great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities