Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,583 times

Advertisements

I'm going to a CC in California that is talking about cutting all their summer classes due to California's budget problems. They already cut their winter special session in January.
Are any other states, or areas in California, seeing this kind of impact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:19 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
We never had a winter session here to begin with.

CCs are booming in my area as students are looking for cheaper ways to get started in their education. My local CC is adding summer classes.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:24 PM

It's busy at the one here too, but I understand the state funds a large portion of the classes, and they are having budget issues. With people trying to improve their education it's terrible that lack of state budget is going to impede that.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
I know my college recently raised tuition and fees since the money they normally receive from the state was cut. The school is short 1.3 million and the fee and tuition increases will bring in $1 million.
It was about a $3 increase per credit hour and just little fees here and there.
Thank goodness my scholarship covers tuition and fees.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
It's busy at the one here too, but I understand the state funds a large portion of the classes, and they are having budget issues. With people trying to improve their education it's terrible that lack of state budget is going to impede that.
We're counting paper, if that gives you a clue

Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,377 times
More people are wanting to go to school or return to school to retrain in this economy, but budgets are being cut, even in key programs. Our local university cut it's nursing funding in half.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
More people are wanting to go to school or return to school to retrain in this economy, but budgets are being cut, even in key programs. Our local university cut it's nursing funding in half.
In an industry that actually has jobs too. I hope some of that bailout/stimulus money heads towards the colleges. I know O'bama puts a high priority on education, so hope he looks at these kind of things. Many people want to improve themselves to be able to get better jobs.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
So here are a few articles from our local paper reagarding the situation at the University of Colorado. OTOH, applications are up. People are wanting to ride out the recession in college if they can't find a job.

CU bracing for state cuts : CU News : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/13/cu-bracing-state-cuts/ - broken link)

CU, CSU foundations limit losses in 2008 : State and West : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/16/cu-csu-limit-losses-in-2008/ - broken link)

Ritter includes higher education in $632M worth of budget cuts : State and West : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/17/governor-proposes-632m-in-budget-cuts/ - broken link)

CU facing $8 million in state budget cuts : CU News : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/17/cu-facing-8-million-state-budget-cuts/ - broken link)

Shakespeare Festival hit by economy : CU News : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/23/shakespeare-fest-changes-program/ - broken link)

College loans and grants may be cut : Nation and World : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/25/downtrodden-economy-threatens-financial-aid-and/ - broken link)

CU facing $6M more in cuts next year : State and West : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/27/governor-recommends-deep-cuts-colorado-budget/ - broken link)

Old 01-29-2009, 03:46 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,729,186 times
Yeah my friend goes to CSUN and they cut back her money so she is taking a semester off and going to a community college. Same with me.......well I applied mid-semester, so I am postponing my trasfer hoping that I get grant money in fall.

My local CCs still have summer/winter out here in SFV.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:07 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
Missouri is very fortunate, there is a state budget deficit and there was a lot of talk about funding to state universities being cut. However, just in the last week or so, the governor stated he would not reduce funding as long as the universities agreed to not increase tuition rates for in-state, undergraduate students. And I have not heard of any other negative impact on MO state schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities