Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 06:11 AM

107 posts, read 615,301 times

Advertisements

I have a BS degree in Applied Mathematics but never work on the specialty. Instead I was recruited as an HR recruiter (2 years) and then moved to HR consultancy (2 years) and end it up with HR Manager position currently (5 years). Honestly I fed up with this job and would like to change it to more IT/business oriented professions. Like, business information systems consultancy (for example, consulting on implementation of Oracle's or SAP's HR modules) or even to IT Management.

What are my chances? And what would be the best choice of further education for me? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 06:36 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
How about thinking about becoming an actuary? If that's your thing of course. From what I understand, they usually have maths degrees of some sort.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 AM

I am not sure that I would be able to use all of that math knowledge received in the university because I was not practicing it for pretty long time... I thought that I could start study again and somehow use my passive knowledge of math for IT or something more business focused.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Amtex,
Have you ever done work in IT, like an internship? If not, I'm also not sure how you can jump into it without experience. A career counselor may help you figure out a way to start out.

As far as becoming an Actuary, my understanding is that you need to become a professional Actuary which is taking a series of tests, all of which are very difficult and compared to taking the bar exam. Be An Actuary - Actuarial Examinations

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 AM

I don't have an experience in IT so I am pretty much sure that I wouldn't be accepted in any IT related job.

But the question is will it be worthwhile (for a person in his late thirties) to get a Master degree, let say, in Computer Science or Software Engineering or Business Information Systems to be able to jump into IT jobs?

Financially I can afford not being employed for a period of 2 years for that purposes. But will it make sense? May be it's nonsense and I should stick with what I am doing right now and having experience in.

Last edited by amtex; 03-05-2009 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
guess I all depends on what type of practical knowledge you have about those systems
any company posting I have see lately is very specific about what the person they are looking for needs to have--they don't want generalists--they want people who can provide ROI from the first day...
they also probably want people with contacts that can bring in business to their shop...
have you looked at current job postings for what you WANT to move to--can you in all honesty say that you qualify for those posts...

something you might consider is teaching although it is probably not in your desired pay range--you could try for an alt cert degree
they are really looking for people with math background--but if you have forgotten your math then it probably would not be good idea
depending on wher eyou are--in TX--you take series of classes that are background into education and then you get a job teaching--hard part--before you are actually certified--
if you make it through that year you are certified teacher--
in TX good districts pay about 45 a year to first year teachers...but raises up from there are not anything to boast about...

Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Alt cert degree... what kind of degree is it? Never heard before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities